Meeting a kid...[noPedo]

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited May 2011 in Man Cave
Hai guys,
I walked round my City the other week after checking out some of the ideas for &T propaganda etc, and deciding never to shit where you sleep and looking at places that wheatpasters/taggers might go, I found a huge, A4 sized QR code.
I scanned it.
Waited.
It took me to a wordpress blog where this self-styled kid who lives near me shows off his "street art". I mean, it's early days but I decided to do something about it.
Checking the EXIF data of the pics of the works in his garden, I found out where he lives :facepalm: in short I mailed him from my Hushmail account and we got chatting. I forwarded him the GPS/EXIF link and he was appreciative.
He is an Art Student at a College near me and I agreed to meet up with him and teach him the ways in things related to Security, Anonymity and life in general...kinda like a mate who is 2 years younger.

Anyway, good idea, bad idea and fancy hearing about the meet-up? Seeing him Sunday evening.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    That's awesome, I'd definitely like to hear how it goes and what you talk about. I've always wanted to find someone a couple years younger and teach him this stuff... Seriously, it's like you've taken the things which I wanted to do, and are actually doing them. The only reason I never followed through with my plans was because I couldn't find anyone who was fit for the job. They're all retards around here, it's hard to find anyone like that anymore :(

Anyway, good luck. Put him onto Totse without actually telling him about it ;)
  • The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Anyway, good luck. Put him onto Totse without actually telling him about it ;)

Maybe it would be a good idea to tell him about totse? We could always use members like that...

Anyway, this sounds awesome, I know if I was in his position, I'd love to have a 'mentor' of sorts.
  • edited April 2011
    Maybe it would be a good idea to tell him about totse? We could always use members like that...

Anyway, this sounds awesome, I know if I was in his position, I'd love to have a 'mentor' of sorts.

I was kind of going along the lines of getting him to know about Totse, without actually suggesting it to him. That way, RemadE's name wouldn't be known to this kid, and he'd co-exist in the community without any possible problems.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    This is exactly it. He (so far) seems the &T type and if he were to come onto this site then I would have to delete this post to cover up my tracks, but who knows.
    I saw myself as a type of mentor when we exchanged emails at first. He seems a tad cocksure but who knows. Update will be here come Monday :hai:

Edit: Should be me if I go for the &T training route :p

• BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the info Nick.

So I can find someone's picture on Facebook, download it, and track it down by this "EXIF?" Really interesting stuff Nick. Great read.
  • edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Nick.

So I can find someone's picture on Facebook, download it, and track it down by this "EXIF?" Really interesting stuff Nick. Great read.

I'm not sure, but EXIF data might be stripped when uploading to Facebook. Even if it is, I bet those Facebook fuckers keep a record of it :mad: Give it a shot though, see how it turns out. If you can't use Facebook pictures, try some from an alternative source like a particular user's Photobucket account, etc.
  • edited April 2011
    Seem odd 'mentoring' someone only a couple of years younger than you. Maybe you should wear something like this to give the relationship a more authentic feel.
  • edited April 2011
    Seem odd 'mentoring' someone only a couple of years younger than you. Maybe you should wear something like this to give the relationship a more authentic feel.

Its funny, but a couple of years can go a LONG way, believe me. In the particular area which RemadE is dealing with (security, anonymity, etc) I've learned a shit load of stuff over the past 2 years.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure, but EXIF data might be stripped when uploading to Facebook. Even if it is, I bet those Facebook fuckers keep a record of it :mad: Give it a shot though, see how it turns out. If you can't use Facebook pictures, try some from an alternative source like a particular user's Photobucket account, etc.

Didn't work. Just told me the compression % and color encoding.
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    He is an Art Student at a College near me and I agreed to meet up with him and teach him the ways in things related to Security, Anonymity and life in general...kinda like a mate who is 2 years younger.
    Its funny, but a couple of years can go a LONG way, believe me. In the particular area which RemadE is dealing with (security, anonymity, etc) I've learned a shit load of stuff over the past 2 years.

I know. I highlighted the part I was more interested in. It will be interesting to hear how the meeting goes.
  • edited May 2011
    Bump! RemadE - deliver your news.
    edited May 2011
    Shit, sorry for the delay.
    Well I did meet him. I went to town and hung around the area we decided on so I wouldn't be swooped on by the UK Chris Hansen, and I gave him my other phone number so got a text just gone 9pm saying he was "on his way". He arrived and we chatted, walking round the town and looking at places he has pasted/sprayed.
    One thing hit me though - and it was that he is in it for the glory. Graffiti artists I know tend to do it for the thankless "job" of putting some good art up, whereas this kid is now making tshirts of his designs he sprayed round this town. Bit retarded. Anyway, I found some unknown places in the town which I'll go explore and maybe get Hepatitis A or B as they look like crack houses (abandoned laudrettes).
    The kid was actually nothing like I imagined, too. Arriving on a bike, he said it's a preferred method to get around and spray things or paste things as CCTV tends to take a picture every second or so, and by riding his bike, he avoids getting caught with an easily-visible face.
    Told him about TOR and EXIF security but the TOR stuff confused him. All in all, a poser who has some potential, but until he realises it's not about making your name as soon as you start, then he will be pretty good.

Oh and he chose his alias as it is like a "legion" and everyone is "anonymous" in it. As much as he didn't say "4chan" it struck chords.
    Might go out with him at some point, but not overly keen. Plus he looked like a hipster. Glasses et all.
  • edited May 2011
    Sounds like a bit of a douche to me. I hated the part about being a glory seeker, not just doing it for the sake of putting something meaningful up. That's one way of getting caught, too. The more people that know you and connect you to your street art, the greater the chances are of getting caught doing something you shouldn't be.

I'd stay away from him if I were you, you might find yourself getting linked to trouble just because you've hung out with him.
    edited May 2011
    Exactly - hence the different mobile, PAYG mobile number. He only saw my hair and face. Nothing too revealing so can't say much, plus he smokes a bit, too, so bad memory FTW.

As for the glory thing, yup. Pisses me of as he goes to Art school and thinks he is the next Banksy :facepalm: then PRINTS his work/alias onto a TSHIRT which is worn around in PUBLIC.
    I even told him that was a stupid idea...and he seemed to realise how, yeah it was. Hope he takes the hint. He called me paranoid as I use TOR and other bits when I need to, but I said "it all depends how far you take it or how prolific your pastes/stencils get".
  • edited May 2011
    LOL, paranoid for using TOR? Fuck that guy, TOR is awesome! :D It's horrible to see someone not taking care in what they do, it's healthy to be paranoid. Speaking of which, get the fuck on MSN more often.

Glad you used a different mobile number, that was definitely a smart move :thumbsup: You're always a step ahead of the game - I like that.
  • The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn, that sucks. I thought that this might have had a fair bit of potential. Maybe if he grows up a bit.
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I had a mentor, shit would be fun.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited May 2011
    this sounds a faggot novel to me.

I'm just waiting in suspense for the BIG KISS!