You'll never get rich working for someone else. [Published]

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited May 2011 in Life
You'll never get rich working for someone else. Maybe if you get a nice job working at boeing you'll become well off, but not rich. Not rich at all. The thing is this is the only way to become wealthy in a capitalistic society is to start a company, and have that company succeed.

I have been observing the world for the past five years, and I have come to some conclusions.

1) The general population is fucking stupid.
2) There is lots of money to be made in junk, and on the internet.
3) People buy stuff they think is "awesome", and I have a good idea as to what "awesome" is in the demographic I'm targeting.
4) Those that give up on their childhood dreams get a 9-5 job and struggle to get by, retire at 65, die 10 years later.
5) Most people live lives they cannot afford. In America you have $40,000 a year families living in huge homes, buying plasma TVs and nice cars. Then they wonder why they are 20, 30k in debt.

I for one do not plan on going into crushing debt, and if I can only afford to live in a bus so be it. I'll gladly buy a schoolbus, rip out the seats put in a wood stove and furnish it rather than getting a home with a crushing mortgage. I say this because there are certain things you must know to succeed in this world.

1) Learn to make things.
2) Observe others, notice their shortfalls, use them to your advantage.
3) Never give up on your childhood dreams. Those that pursue them are those that succeed.
4) Collage teaches you how to work for others. It puts you in massive debt, and you must pay it back by... working for others.
5) Do not give a flying fuck about other peoples' opinions on you. If you do, you'll conform to society; conforming to all those people that live under debt with no hopes of succeeding in the future.

Heed my advice.

Comments

• CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited February 2011
    Fuck yes. Good thread. Diggin' the shoutout. :cool:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    Like my Grandfather used to say, "You don't make money by signing the back of a paycheck, you make money by signing the front of them".
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited February 2011
    Like my Grandfather used to say, "You don't make money by signing the back of a paycheck, you make money by signing the front of them".

Your grandfather was a wise man.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    Crazzyass wrote: »
    Your grandfather was a wise man.

Yes he was...

Unfortunately I only got his intelligence not his wisdom. :sad:
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited February 2011
    yeah i agree with this

Cool
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited February 2011
    1) Learn to make things.
    3) Never give up on your childhood dreams. Those that pursue them are those that succeed.
    4) Collage teaches you how to work for others. It puts you in massive debt, and you must pay it back by... working for others.
    5) Do not give a flying fuck about other peoples' opinions on you. If you do, you'll conform to society; conforming to all those people that live under debt with no hopes of succeeding in the future.

I second the shit out of this. All of it.

If you have a good idea that you feel will be profitable (and you have research to back it up), there is no reason to continue getting a college education. Why wait 4 years to develop something, when in that same time period, someone more ambitious than you could make and market it?

You don't have to follow your "childhood" dreams. Just have them, and shoot for them. Do what you are truly passionate about.

As far as making things, you will save money out the ass. I make quite a few tools I need rather than buying them. It costs me less than half of what I could buy them pre-made for.

Good thread.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited February 2011
    I dated a girl once whose dad was - no shit - a quarter million dollars in debt. He drove an old Jeep Cherokee and lived in a 5-year-old flakeboard mansion with buckling floors, cracking walls, and doors that wouldn't shut any more. He didn't seem to have a drug or gambling addiction. I have no idea what he ran up such a tab on but I wish I had asked.

He wasn't even an awesome guy, so it's not like he blew the money on hookers or African safaris. What do idiots spend money on?
  • mynicknamemynickname Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    sounds good, but you still need money to get started, that requires working for someone else, it takes quite a bit of money to go into business no matter which way you look at it. not saying it can't be done. good luck...?
  • edited February 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited February 2011
    just a thought... if everyone took your advice then no one could be in business for themselves because everyone cant be in business for themselves.

you need the people that sign the backs of check so that you can sign the fronts of checks. I hope you see the contradiction in your logic.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't worry about that, most people are too stupid to start a company.
  • edited February 2011
    This thread is the truth - I've got plans for the future but I suppose it's all down to me doing my own thing if I want to succeed.
  • jhthrnjhthrn Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    mandingo wrote: »
    just a thought... if everyone took your advice then no one could be in business for themselves because everyone cant be in business for themselves.

you need the people that sign the backs of check so that you can sign the fronts of checks. I hope you see the contradiction in your logic.

That's incorrect. Everyone can be in business for themselves, they can make a living at it, but it doesn't mean they'll get rich doing it. People are just too damn greedy and lazy.

It's not that most people are stupid, it's worse than that. It's that they're selfish/greedy (milgram experiments) and lazy. (hauling their fat asses around in cars rather than walking or riding a bike, buying prepackaged meals rather than growing/preparing their own food)

You'll make money not on other people's stupidity, but on their laziness and greed.
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited February 2011
    jhthrn wrote: »
    That's incorrect. Everyone can be in business for themselves, they can make a living at it, but it doesn't mean they'll get rich doing it. People are just too damn greedy and lazy.

It's not that most people are stupid, it's worse than that. It's that they're selfish/greedy (milgram experiments) and lazy. (hauling their fat asses around in cars rather than walking or riding a bike, buying prepackaged meals rather than growing/preparing their own food)

You'll make money not on other people's stupidity, but on their laziness and greed.

you are telling me i am incorrect and then you say they cant get rich doing it...
  • JHGJHG Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    never say never - you might be surprized
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited March 2011
    JHG wrote: »
    never say never - you might be surprized
    Quit shitting the place up with your stupid comments. If you have any proof to back up your opinion, then please share.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    lol^^^ owned by a jew nose
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited April 2011
    You'll never get rich working for someone else. Maybe if you get a nice job working at boeing you'll become well off, but not rich. Not rich at all. The thing is this is the only way to become wealthy in a capitalistic society is to start a company, and have that company succeed.

That's why katz and crazzyass are going to start a business. It's going to be a laser, kit and science demonstration company, and totseans get a discount. Due to the dangerous nature of some of my future products my company is likely going to be an LLC, and those that buy my products sign an online waver. If I become rich I can fulfill my lifelong dream of buying a fully operational FLAK cannon.

I have been observing the world for the past five years, and I have come to some conclusions.

3) People buy stuff they think is "awesome", and I have a good idea as to what "awesome" is in the demographic I'm targeting.
    4) Those that give up on their childhood dreams get a 9-5 job and struggle to get by, retire at 65, die 10 years later.
    5) Most people live lives they cannot afford. In America you have $40,000 a year families living in huge homes, buying plasma TVs and nice cars. Then they wonder why they are 20, 30k in debt.

I for one do not plan on going into crushing debt, and if I can only afford to live in a bus so be it. I'll gladly buy a schoolbus, rip out the seats put in a wood stove and furnish it rather than getting a home with a crushing mortgage. I say this because there are certain things you must know to succeed in this world.

1) Learn to make things.

Heed my advice.

this is the truest thing i think ive ever read on the internet

im going to fucking bookmark this post
  • edited April 2011
    hmmmmmmm...

What if you never had childhood dreams?

...At least, if I did, I sho'ly can't remember 'em now. : /
  • CapitalismCapitalism Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    Truest motherfucking thread ever. Only thing I will add is, if you're going to be self employed be prepared to fail ALOT.

The shit that separates the ones who made it and the ones who tried and failed is because, among other things, they failed a few times and gave up. Too many people are scared of fucking failure.

Those that aren't afraid of risk, failure, are motivated and don't mind losing money to learn - those ones will the ones with real money.
    k thx bai
  • BlackTerritoryBlackTerritory New Arrival
    edited April 2011

1) Learn to make things.

Heed my advice.

Sorry, but I think this is quite possibly the biggest load of tripe.

1. The General population is not as stupid as you think, everyone has this though that they are so much smarter than everyone else and they have it all figured out. Wrong.
    2. There is lots of money to be made on the internet and junk, if your willing to work fucking hard for it, take big risks, and work really fucking hard.
    4. Childhood dreams are mostly stupid, I wanted to be superman, I don't think trying to follow that path is going to make me very rich.

School bus idea, go for it. BUT don't come bitching when your 50, living in a bus and are wishing you had have had kids, friends and a wife. There is a reason people try.

Further education is always a good idea. You think you can just open a business and wing it? That is why most small businesses fail.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    ^ I partially agree with that, although reading the OP gave me a major boost but it was a bit unrealistic. You need education to advance further and also you need a degree to show otherwise people won't takeyou seriously.

Nothing wrong with dreaming as long as the dream is plausible. Oh, if you want to live longer having a family helps.
  • BlackTerritoryBlackTerritory New Arrival
    edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    ^ I partially agree with that, although reading the OP gave me a major boost but it was a bit unrealistic. You need education to advance further and also you need a degree to show otherwise people won't takeyou seriously.

Nothing wrong with dreaming as long as the dream is plausible. Oh, if you want to live longer having a family helps.

Totally agree, I read it once and thought "yeah, sounds good, FUCK YEAH" but then realism crept in. I like my late model semi luxury car, I like having my own house and living with my girlfriend, I like my 50' plasma and home theater set up, I like a reliable job.
  • edited April 2011
    It's a toss up, you might never get rich working for someone else, but you might be able to afford what you need, and have enough left over for what you want. Going into business for yourself requires capital, most enterprising folk get this either from family, work, or a combination of both. If you fuck it up, your house is gone, and your relatives are really pissed.

Starting a business is really the only way to become very rich, and good things sometimes come to those who dare. But I disagree with the idea that higher education and work experience are without value. You need to know the industry you are going to invest in, and you need skills comparable or better than those around you.

Most people who open successful businesses do so after working in the industry for a while. A successful business is one that fills a niche underserved by current businesses, and how are you going to know what the client base is, nevermind what their needs are, unless you spend a few years in the industry.

This is not to say that an 18 year old with an idea and 10 grand cant become rich with one good idea, but your odds are better if you know the lay of the land a bit.

C/O
    "I will have a tuna on rye, and by the way, where do you guys buy your bread?"
    edited April 2011
    You just have to come up with good products, I already have. ;-)
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited April 2011
    Katz. Where have you been?
    edited April 2011
    Been busy as fuck lately, you didn't think that starting a company was a pipe dream did you?
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited April 2011
    Been busy as fuck lately, you didn't think that starting a company was a pipe dream did you?

cool can i work for ya? ;):hai:
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited April 2011
    cool can i work for ya? ;):hai:

This
  • RetrogradeRetrograde New Arrival
    edited April 2011
    jhthrn wrote: »

What retard grows their own food over just buying it?
    edited April 2011
    Retrograde wrote: »

A farmer?
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited April 2011

this is whats wrong with a lot of people these days, this fucking idiot needs to get a grip
  • edited April 2011
    Hey Katz!, when you get really big and have a factory producing your products, look me up to run the cafeteria!
    edited April 2011
    I don't c y not...
    edited April 2011
    Pacino wrote: »
    this is whats wrong with a lot of people these days, this fucking idiot needs to get a grip

Please. I figured it didn't even need to be said. The point is not everyone has enough land or time to grow food.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    The point is not everyone has enough land or time to grow food.

Grow it on your roof if you live in the city. It can be done.
    edited May 2011
    Osiris wrote: »

I believe this proves my point.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    OP is full of shit.

Kid probably works at a wallmart.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited May 2011
    I believe this proves my point.
    You had a point?

I wish your mom had a point when she was pregnant with you.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited May 2011
    Osiris wrote: »

and if i live in an apartment where the hoa rides your ass for grilling on the back porch? should i just turn my living room into a farm?
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited May 2011
    and if i live in an apartment where the hoa rides your ass for grilling on the back porch? should i just turn my living room into a farm?
    There's a big difference between grilling and growing vegetables, dipshit.
    edited May 2011
    Why you publish my thread? I don't want it published...
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited May 2011
    jewnose wrote: »
    There's a big difference between grilling and growing vegetables, dipshit.

fuckin jew
  • edited May 2011
    Why you publish my thread? I don't want it published...

Why's that? It's a good thread, plus you tagged it - didn't you?
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Why's that? It's a good thread, plus you tagged it - didn't you?

I tagged nothing