Robotic eyes for the blind being tested.

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I just saw this on the news, so i decided to look it up. Wow. :eek:

http://www.livescience.com/common/media/video/player.php?aid=26551

Comments

• SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds fucking awesome. I would totally get them. As long as they had inbuilt zoom capabilities with infrared and night visions. They would also never deteriorate in eyesight. Or if so, can be replaced. Of course it will take time for the image seen by the eye to be more refined though.

My university lecturer is one of the designers of the bionic ear too. Just thought I'd mention that as it's similar. Technology rocks!
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    This would be pretty fucking kickass if it ever becomes available to the public. I could say goodbye to contacts forever. They should do it so you can customize it for your purpose, IE: download a x-ray app or a black and white app. Or even an LSD visual app.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope they make the pupils dilate when the owner is forced to respond to emotional stimulus so we can tell who the replicants are...
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    i had a class which discussed stuff like this last year. its quite complicated, and i think the pixelated image in the last part of the video is still in its prototype stages. the bionic eyes on the market at the moment only have around a hundred pixels, and in black and white. still, tests on people who were not born blind show that often, they can function at close to full capacity since their brain rewires itself to accomodate for the poor vision.