London advertising run

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited May 2011 in Man Cave
So my friends are off to london next week (won't post exact date here) and have a load of stickers with the &T URL scrawled on. Anyone got any requests for where to put them? On a famous landmark? Pub toilet? Underground train etc.

Pics will try to be delivered. Bit dodgy taking photos round London on things like trains etc.

Also, general London discussion thread if anyone's been there.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    My first suggestion is to slap some around the areas of the London bombings. Not for any reason really, but if someone wanted to visit the locations then they'd notice the stickers. Aldgate tube station (I think it was there, can't remember) would be cool :)

Other than that, hit all the famous landmarks you can think of, as well as some buildings of interest such as news stations, TV stations, trains, the side of police cars, pretty much everywhere.

How many stickers have you got?

EDIT: I was in London the other week, I think Aldgate was actually closed. Try westminster instead, that place has a load of big windows and stuff.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Good job mate, I would suppose any monuments or famous locations that you can find :-)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Sounds good. Not sure about Police cars but if I got a picture, then that could be our new banner :hai:
    Will certainly get contacts to do bridges and other bits. They have about 20 stickers, as well as wheatpaste. Stickers are preferred as you don't get messy though.
    Time to start scrawling some more. Got some big stickers so can fit 4 or so URLs onto 1 and then cut into 4.
  • edited May 2011
    Teenage drug crowd and assorted freaks: Camden high street.

Crowd with IQ above 90: Various campuses across London. See below1.

Gay buttsex (seriously): Old Compton street.

General: London underground stations, especially Oxford Circus, Shepherd's Bush (central line), King's Cross, Hammersmith, Waterloo, Charing Cross, Liverpool Street and Piccadilly Circus. Just don't travel around in sunglasses and a keffiyeh, lest you look like a terrorist and get shot by SO19, or, more likely, look like a pseudointellectual-leftist-middle-class-Guardian-reading-homosexual-prick out on a daytrip, spending taxpayers' money that should otherwise strictly speaking be used to fund your worthless arts degree. Ahem. Excuse me... got a little carried away with the moment there.

I trust the rest to your judgement.

1) London School of Economics (LSE), specifically Houghton Street.

2) University College London.

3) University of Westminster, the Regent's Street campus has lots of 'passing trade', although obviously not necessarily Westminster students.

There are other campuses across London but I don't know how far you're prepared to travel/roam.
    edited May 2011
    Fuck me mate, you really put some thought into that list! I will get my mates to add them and try to get as many as possible. They're going up on a day where travel is a bit iffy so not sure when I have to leave. They're in the Kings Cross area for the afternoon, too. Gotta love threads where petty criminal damage is being discussed with full intent.
  • edited May 2011
    Do some in some areas where I can visit the next time I go to London :D I can add my mark on the wall or something and take a picture, lol.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited May 2011
    Try wheatpasting while you're at it, a poster is much more eyecatching than a sticker.
  • edited May 2011
    you know www.totse.com is just going to give everyone the error message right
    edited May 2011
    you know www.totse.com is just going to give everyone the error message right

Yes, which is why I put the .info URL on it :facepalm:

Ps. I'd love to do a few A4 wheatpaste pieces. Will take some just in case. It's just finding a quiet sidestreet.
  • edited May 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Yes, which is why I put the .info URL on it :facepalm:

Ps. I'd love to do a few A4 wheatpaste pieces. Will take some just in case. It's just finding a quiet sidestreet.

Pity you don't live in London. If you did then pasting early in the morning, on otherwise busy streets, would be an option.

How about Banksy-style graffiti stencils?
    Try wheatpasting while you're at it, a poster is much more eyecatching than a sticker.

You make a good point; they're are few things a Londoner has look at during their daily commute. I suspect a vast amount of visual information gets lost in the noise of the neural datastream to the point where it never crosses the concious threshold. Feck, it doesn't take much for the human brain to miss the hilariously obvious. Sticking an A4 poster on a random wall, however busy the street or station, is unlikely to achieve much in terms of people remembering the information. One way around this is to place those stickers where a person expects to see something else. For example the oyster card scanning pads on automated underground barriers or the oyster scanners on buses. Unexpected deviation from what is visually expected is far more likely to imprint information in the individual's memory. Not to mention that far more people will by default directly look at that information if it's placed on or very near a scanner that has to be used before you can move beyond it.

Have to point out that irrespective of where a sticker or poster is placed it will be removed. The more public/high traffic the place the more likely this will happen quickly. I think what is therefore required is a sustained advertisment campaign or, as I suggested re: graffiti stencils, using a medium that results in the message being more difficult to remove.
  • edited May 2011
    On the subject of things being removed - If you want something to stay there, do it in either a hard to reach location or a place in which the stuff is MEANT to look like it's there. At the expense of not being noticed as much, propaganda or stickers will tend to stay up for longer if it looks like it's meant to belong there. For example, I placed a flyer up in this very room and put it next to some other posters. About 4 months later, it's still here!

The same can't be said for the ones I slapped up in the public toilets.
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I have a few A4 pieces now and was thinking of making them more applicable to the places they are being put. Will get designing. Mates are going on a practice run tomorrow in another City ;) the Oyster Card swipe pads did cross my mind, too. Wheatpasting is for the big pieces and I have about 20 stickers of the URL, some slightly different for different places :)
    And I miss living in London. Early morning run would have been great :cool:
  • edited May 2011
    How come you only have 20? You should totally make some more :D
    edited May 2011
    Got more today ;)
    edited May 2011
    Test run went well apparently. They said the hardest bit was wheatpasting in the day but got them up. Pics will be posted when I have them.
  • edited May 2011
    That's awesome. How many did you throw up on your practice run then? Also, what's it like to wheatpaste during the daytime?
  • edited May 2011
    Slap one on the TARDIS, so we can get a (much)wider demographic. Seriously, you gotta see the thing at least once in your life, have a sticker ready.
    edited May 2011
    Being a Brit, the Tardis is probably near me somewhere. As for wheatpasting in the day - I was told its pretty dodgy. They chose an area near a university, travel hub and where other bits are pasted. To put it up, lots of diversionary acting and a quiet 15 seconds is needed :p
  • edited May 2011
    Do you hide your identity at all when wheatpasting or sticker slapping?
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Do you hide your identity at all when wheatpasting or sticker slapping?

Doesn't say anywhere that I put them up :hai:
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited May 2011
    The tube and stations get cleaned daily so they wouldnt last long.
    Try some high traffic areas, westminster bridge is allways busy with a nice underpass on the other side from parlement.
    Down the road from the waterloo station taxi rank is a nice spot with pleanty of stickers allready up.

Or do a banksy and hit the tate.
    edited May 2011
    [ame=" - "Annie" (1982) - Tomorrow[/ame]
  • edited May 2011
    Where have the pics gone; I wanted to play Where's Waldo? this weekend.
    edited May 2011
    Where have the pics gone; I wanted to play Where's Waldo? this weekend.

I was sent the photos but there's something about, especially after the whole Zoklet episode, that makes me very distrusting of the 'net.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    I would not worry about putting a few stickers or posters up.
  • edited May 2011
    I was sent the photos but there's something about, especially after the whole Zoklet episode, that makes me very distrusting of the 'net.

Assuming a lack of EXIF data, isn't that a little bit paranoid, even for you? ;)

As the good Dr rocker implies, I can't see wheatpasting getting you woken in the middle of the night to the sounds of your door being kicked down by a state snatch-squad. Even the British police farce1 have better things to do with their time than chase down small-time flyposters and sticker merchants off the back of a few obscure photographs. The Zoklet shenanigans allegedly caused $$$ of commercial 'damage' directly traceable to one individual.

Huge difference in scenarios.

1) No typo.
  • edited May 2011
    Isn't fly-posting and sticker slapping technically a crime? And remember what is said regarding admitting to crimes on the internet?

Better to stay safe, I'd say.
  • edited May 2011
    Isn't fly-posting and sticker slapping technically a crime? And remember what is said regarding admitting to crimes on the internet?

He hasn't admitted to any crime, nor do those photographs establish that he committed one. They can't even be used to prove that he knows for certain who did put them up. In terms of evidence of anyone's guilt they are next to worthless.

I'll respect his position, nonetheless.
    edited May 2011

Posting pictures is not going to do any harm - he has already said he was going to do it, the stickers and posters are up so if the police were bothered they would come to this site and find this thread anyway.

The pictures would do nothing to get him caught that has not already been done. On top of that, although he said he was going to, taking pictures of the end result does not mean shit - anyone could have put the stickers and posters up.
    edited May 2011
    Lik I said, people put them up. Not me.

Here they are then ;)

A bit of this...
    vZ1.jpg

jU.jpg

A bit of that...
    3u7.jpg

Not saying how many there are, but here is a taster.
    edited May 2011
    A bit of that...
    3u7.jpg

Not saying how many there are, but here is a taster.

I like that one - if my money was on any one of them to bring people in, it would be that one.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    ^ agreed, best of the bunch. just the address is almost like a flier (where people just hand u trash to throw away..) get something to get peoples mind thinking that the place might have something to offer.
    edited May 2011
    Right you fuckers. Delivery imminent!

Camden.
    1.jpg

There were plenty put round but my mates aren't the sort to hang around on a busy road in a tourist-y part of London on a weekend taking a photo of their handiwork :D
    Also this is in Camden/Chalk Farm area. "$15 little man, put that shit in my hand!"
    15.jpg

Old Compton Street and surrounding areas.
    2.jpg

SohoSqGardens.jpg

General Underground/Trains.
    LeicesterSq.jpg

LDN%20waterloo.jpg

NorthernLine.jpg

For the lulz.

Downing St.
    8.jpg

Parliament.
    6.jpg
    7.jpg

The tamper-proof things used for the Royal Wedding so people can't plant bombs in small, openable things.
    9.jpg

Most Tourists don't actually go into the red phone boxes. They should.
    16.jpg

*gulp*
    10.jpg

For Dfg.
    14.jpg

Western advertising ;)
    4.jpg

Kings Cross area.
    13.jpg

12.jpg

Cosplay fags.
    11.jpg

Overall, 9 of the A4 posters were put up and around 40 stickers of various sizes and designs were. I'd call that a success if it gets us more users.
  • edited May 2011
    Cosplay fags.
    11.jpg

Looks like you were walking away from Trafalgar Square. I hope you stuck one on Nelson. On second thoughts bugger that, you'll have this place flooded by a thousand spotty french teenagers asking 'wat iz zis totzee plaice?'.
    edited May 2011
    Mate you know London pretty damn well! Didn't put one on Nelson as there was a speech/event going on and was sealed off. Should meet up sometime.

;)
  • edited May 2011
    This thread is full of win. Awesome job RemadE, I must get out and do something similar very soon. And yes, pictures will delivered.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011

Most Tourists don't actually go into the red phone boxes. They should.
    16.jpg

This one is fucking brilliant. You've cornered our target market perfectly.