Buying a protective vest

edited May 2011 in Man Cave
Someone tell me about protective vests (bulletproof, stabproof), their benefits, drawbacks, prices and best place to buy them. I have basically no knowledge on the subject and I honestly have no idea where to start. Basically, looking for some protection :)

Are all bulletproof vests stabproof as well? Ugh, where to start...

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I got one from eBay for ~£60 and is a class 2 vest (I think). Will post pics later.

Benefits are obviously against stabbing, shooting or needles. Downside is that they are cumbersome, hot and quite rigid. Managed to customise mine with extra velcro for a tighter fit :D
  • edited May 2011
    Interesting. Can you tell me a bit more about what to look for when buying one?
    edited May 2011
    Brand new is best, but rarely cost effective. Of course you have to weigh up just how useful it will be. I spent £60 or so and thought I'd never use it. A few months later, some cunt shot me with an air rifle and I get chased with a knife. Strange.

Police surplus is the way to go in the UK. The serial numbers are cut out as you can see but it's perfect otherwise.
    xV.jpg

Covert or overt? If you intend to wear it in public then go covert but you might be sacrificing protection.

Measure yourself! The worst thing you can do is buy one the wrong size. Be accurate! This is the extra velcro I sewed on (lol, sewing through a vest like this was a fucker...and it wasn't even Kevlar on that part!)
    Sw.jpg

I would get better pics but my GF is asleep and the velcro is noisy as fuck....and I'm writing a guide so can't move :p
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the pics RemadE,

AS per op though, A Kevlar vest alone will not stop a knife. It's designed for 9mile-40cal I think. Still will break a few ribs.

I can't remember what "class" plates we put in our Kevlar vests, but I am thinkingClassified. Regardless, What we had stopped a 7.62x54 round. He was a Cpl in my squad, got hit by a sniper with that round. I pulled him about 20 meters across the ground. He wasn't happy but Granted, He lived. I think it broke two rib bones, and he had some internal bleeding. Screaming bloody murder. I think the Medic eventually said it was an internal hemorrhage. Better than a big ass hole to bleed out from. But he walks around today. He was lucky that he got center mass. I have a good bit of muscle missing from my off hand arm. Wouldn't notice either of us different today, except I can't lift jack with my right arm.

EDIT: But as I was saying. Even if you want to stop a 9milke. I suggest you get the heaviest plate you can afford. The fuckers are heavy and uncomfortable, but they WILL save your life if you get hit center mass. Unless you are some supreme being, no one is going to assasinate you with anything heavier than a 7.62x54.

I only wore my vest half the time before he got hit because I had to run around to 4 squads in combat. After that shit, I sucked it up and wore the bulky fucker the the rest of my tours.

Edit2: I'm not supposed to just say what kind of interceptor armor we wore, but I think in your own research you can find out. I was Airborne attached with a RANGER unit, if that helps...... And it should.... PM me if you are ignorant.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks for all the information. I can't say I really NEED a vest, but who knows when it might come in handy. Plus I've got some spare cash which I can throw around and get away with it.

Can someone explain the different classes of vest to me?
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    If you are wearing it in public in the UK on show, you can be arrested. I know of a few times when people have been told to take them off by the police, they have refused and then they have been arrested.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Wow, this thread made my day. they Army in Pakistan mostly use vest. It has two kevlar platers I think, one in the front and one in the back. The vest itself is just a standard jacket with different color and you can add or remove plates as needed.

I don't think I will find any decent vest in Pakistan and even if I wear one, chances are I will get killed or arrested for it because honestly no one wears that shit in public unless:
    A) They're from Army or Police etc.
    B) They're bombers.

Most I can do is pray that shit doesn't go down.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited May 2011
    Kevlar pads will stop small handgun rounds and fragmentation, but it's a fabric so a knife goes right through it. I think that you can get a kevlar vest with metal plates woven in to make it stab resistant. To stop anything from a rifle you would need ceramic plates, which are bulky, heavy, and very noticeable.
    Seeing as how people in the UK don't even use guns, you should focus on something stab resistant.
    Dfg wrote: »

I don't think I will find any decent vest in Pakistan and even if I wear one, chances are I will get killed or arrested for it because honestly no one wears that shit in public unless:

I think this is how it works anywhere. Wearing a ballistic vest in public will only draw attention to yourself and make you look very suspicious.
    edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    If you are wearing it in public in the UK on show, you can be arrested. I know of a few times when people have been told to take them off by the police, they have refused and then they have been arrested.

Do you know why? I was wearing mine when the dude who shot at me was arrested for the lulz and was told to (at first) jokingly take it off, then they got all srs cop bzns and said it was the law.
    I told them they wear one and took it off :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Kevlar pads will stop small handgun rounds and fragmentation, but it's a fabric so a knife goes right through it. I think that you can get a kevlar vest with metal plates woven in to make it stab resistant. To stop anything from a rifle you would need ceramic plates, which are bulky, heavy, and very noticeable.
    Seeing as how people in the UK don't even use guns, you should focus on something stab resistant.

I think this is how it works anywhere. Wearing a ballistic vest in public will only draw attention to yourself and make you look very suspicious.

I agree but these people shoot/run first and ask questions later.
  • edited May 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Wow, this thread made my day. they Army in Pakistan mostly use vest. It has two kevlar platers I think, one in the front and one in the back. The vest itself is just a standard jacket with different color and you can add or remove plates as needed.

B) They're bombers.

Most I can do is pray that shit doesn't go down.

Over there, you're most likely to get either blown up or hit with rifle-fire, so anything you wear isn't likely to provide a hell of a lot of protection, anyway.

I'm sorry your country is in such a crappy state.. :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Over there, you're most likely to get either blown up or hit with rifle-fire, so anything you wear isn't likely to provide a hell of a lot of protection, anyway.

I'm sorry your country is in such a crappy state.. :(

Don't worry about it :)
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the information. I can't say I really NEED a vest, but who knows when it might come in handy. Plus I've got some spare cash which I can throw around and get away with it.

Can someone explain the different classes of vest to me?

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Ballistic_Protection_Levels.shtml

How much money you got laying around? :D
    http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/dragon-skin/

Also for just stab protection they make stab proof stuff. Plastic panels, a lot lighter. Kind of looks like storm trooper armor.
  • edited May 2011
    Stab-proof sounds like a good way to go, maybe I'll check those out :thumbsup: Will a stabproof vest withstand a shot from an air rifle as well? :D
    edited May 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Do you know why? I was wearing mine when the dude who shot at me was arrested for the lulz and was told to (at first) jokingly take it off, then they got all srs cop bzns and said it was the law.
    I told them they wear one and took it off :(

Although in the terms of the law, it is not illegal, they will fuck you over in as many ways as they see fit. Number one would be a public order offence, it would work out like this:

Cop: take that off
    Person: Why, I am not breaking any law
    Cop: There have been problems with shootings and stabbings in the area and your dress could incite problems
    Person: LOL
    Cops: You have the right to repeatedly fall up and down several flights of stairs at the police station

Or

Cop: Take that off
    Person: Why, I am not breaking any law
    Cop: Armed and undercover police are opperating in the area. You could automatically be picked out as a target or a member of the public may believe you are a police officer
    Person: LOL
    Cops: You have the right to repeatedly fall up and down several flights of stairs at the police station

They could arrest you under PACE, Public stores act, firearms act, criminal justice act, criminal jutice and public order act or the terrorism act. They would probably arrest you as they had 'reasonable grounds for suspecting' you were going to be up to no good.

The real reason they do not like it is it makes them look like dicks. No chief constable wants members of the public walking his patch with a bullet proof / stab proof vest on as then it makes the area look like it has a problem with gun and knife crime.

You could however wear a stab vest under a jacket or coat (as many bouncers do) and you should not get any problems.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    Stab-proof sounds like a good way to go, maybe I'll check those out :thumbsup: Will a stabproof vest withstand a shot from an air rifle as well? :D

I guess it would depend on the rifle. Some of the really nicer, high powered ones, likely not. But most of the cheap shit ones most people use, probably.
    edited May 2011
    Will a stabproof vest withstand a shot from an air rifle as well? :D

Any non FAC (under 12 ft/lb) would only be likely to kill with a shot to the temple / eye ear or certain points in the neck. It could go through the sternum into the heart or aorta or an angled shot could do the same.

If some one wanted to kill you with an air rifle, they would head shot you anyway if they knew what they were doing - needless to say it would be within 30 yards anyway and if you dance like a motherfucker, they would more than likely miss.

Stab vests and bullet vests are two completly different things. A heavy wool pea jacket topped with a barbour jacket would mean even a 12 ft/lb air rifle would not kill and be unlikely to result in a pellet under your skin.

Could get a little warm tho in summer.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited May 2011
    As already said, it depends on what you're trying to protect yourself from. No armor is perfect.

If you want knife proof, you can make your own. Or have someone fab up some plates that are more conforming. Stopping a knife isn't very hard. Very little force, you just need puncture protecture. A Kevlar vest, is made for the oposite of that, It's made for a massive ft/lb dump of force. And the plate's we wore were for a reason. No point of being discrete.

In my unit we carried 80lb rucks on our backs. We didn't re-link for a month. So we carried everything. Regardless, if you are wearing mil. Dress, you're probably stupid for not wearing good protection when you're in a combat zone.

On the flip side. That shit weighs a TON. And it only protects center mass. A kevlar helmet won't protect against any direct fire aside from a .40.(if i remember correctly)

If you are a civilian and don't want to get stabbed... Kevlar should be tossed, that's not the purpose. Even a very lightweight +STEEL+ plate will save your. Mind you it's not light, there is a reason we use ceramics in the .mil, you don't get close enough to get gored, you shoot them.

I know it's harsh advice, but if you live where you think you will get stabbed, my advice is to move. Getting stabbed center mass can kill you- but as can a decent wound in an arm or leg. Stab wounds don't close like bullet wounds, there is a reverse force for getting the knife out, it adds more trauma. I had a b/s cut on my leg that drained enough blood to make me incapable of firing my rifle.

BE SAFE. Live safe.

As much as I love my guns, I'd rather live somewhere I don't have to worry, than have to cary body armor. I don't live in a warzone anymore, I don't like body armor. Or the two way range, for that matter.
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone tell me about protective vests (bulletproof, stabproof), their benefits, drawbacks, prices and best place to buy them. I have basically no knowledge on the subject and I honestly have no idea where to start. Basically, looking for some protection :)

Are all bulletproof vests stabproof as well? Ugh, where to start...

If you are in the US and in need of a good anti-stab vest, I can recommend this.

http://www.keepshooting.com/stab-resistant-vest.html

Be advised that it has no protection against any ballistic threats.

If you are in need of a quality vest that protects against ballistic threats, go ahead and order a police surplus vest from www.bulletproofme.com.

As far as the capabilities of a vest are concerned, there are 3 different "Levels" of soft (ie concealable) armor.

Level IIA (2A) is rated to stop most "typical" handgun threats like standard velocity 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and .38 Special. Level IIA offers the least amount of ballistic protection, but it is extremely lightweight, thin, and concealable. It is also the least expensive. I would recommend a IIA vest if the absolute highest level of concealablity is required.

Level II (2) covers the broadest spectrum of handgun threats and will protect against "hotter" 9mm rounds like those loaded to NATO pressures, labeled as +P+, or some of the really high speed European stuff. It will also protect against .357 Magnum, .357 SIG, and 12ga Buckshot. Level II is what I would recommend as a "general use/do all" vest as it is also very concealable and will stop pretty much anything you will encounter.

Level IIIA (3A) is the highest rating for soft body armor and in addition to protecting against all level IIA and II threats it protects against 9mm out of a submachinegun length barrel and .44 Magnum. It is also the thickest and heaviest, though it is still relatively easy to conceal under a larger t-shirt and possibly a jacket.

I have an Israeli made Level IIIA vest and I have no trouble hiding it under a windbreaker and I could probably get away with concealing it under a larger size t-shirt and most people really don't go around examining others for body armor bulges.

A vest that you can trust your life to would probably be in the $300 range, good deals on workable vests can be found at Bullet Proof Me and anything listed there is good to go.

And, of course, there are "hard" armor plates for protection against rifle threats.

They are as follows:

Level III will protect against 7.62x51mm M80 Ball (think M14, FN FAL) and 7.62x39 (think AK47, SKS) it will also protect against all threats that will be stopped by soft armor. Be advised that some Level III plates will no stop high velocity 5.56x45 NATO (M16, M4) rounds as it is not required that they do. Most companies do specify that their Level III plates stop all 5.56x45 NATO ammo as per their own testing.

And finally there is Level IV which is rated to stop a single round of of .30-06 Armor Piercing along with 7.62x54mm Armor Piercing. Level IV plates are ceramic and are pretty fragile as far as armor goes.

I would say if you absolutely needed plates to get steel (or better yet titanium and steel hybrid) Level III plates, as they are protect against pretty much any rifle threat you would (unrealistically) be facing and they are not fragile like Level IV plates.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited May 2011
    fuck that use phone books nigga, work just the same

just bulky and heavier.
  • edited May 2011
    So much reading, I love it :D This thread passed my time on the bus earlier, and I think I understand it now, so thanks for putting it clearly. Time for some shopping research!