What are some commonly used, insecure locks?

edited May 2011 in Man Cave
On the subject of picking now, and it strikes me as a little odd that some people think that a simple padlock is going to do the job of securing something like a garden shed full of expensive tools. Everyone has a garden shed, and almost everyone secures it with a padlock which can be fairly weak or easily picked.

However, what are some other commonly seen locks which are insecure and where can they usually be found?

Comments

• BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    Chinese manufactured padlocks at your local dollar store.

No picking needed, just a sock.
  • edited May 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Chinese manufactured padlocks at your local dollar store.

No picking needed, just a sock.

A sock?

Also, what makes an expensive padlock any better than a shitty cheap one? I noticed that when picking, there are more pins to get through and that they're sometimes harder to push up, but nothing else.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    Not sure. Could be just an American brand slapped on shit.

Combo Master Locks have an anti-shim groove. Maybe padlocks implement some sort of similar mechanism? Fancy plastic packaging? Beats me.

As for the sock, you can get one of those $1 locks and literally unlock them using brute force with a sock. Real cheap shit.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    About garden sheds, a lot of the latches are just screwed on, so it might be easier to just bring a screwdriver instead of having to deal with the lock.
  • tachosomozatachosomoza Regular
    edited May 2011
    Wafer locks, the cheapest locks that require a key. If you're a good pick, you can be in in a negligible amount of time.
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    Any lock of any quality secured to almost any garden shed, or any other door by those pressed sheetmetal deadbolt things, grab the padlock and bring the hoop of it against the sheet metal part that its locked into and preventng the bolt from moving and just bend, reverse the bend the other way and keep flexing the crap till the thing fails due to metal fatigue, twist the lock out of the broken bit it was in, use the lock to hammer the twisted metal straight enough you can lift the bolt up or down as the case may be and unlock, no noise no fuss and you get a free albiet locked padlock as well as whatever was locked up, i almost always find people seem to take the beefiest padlocks and use them to secure the most flimsy shit, some people never bother to learn the door and its attached mechanisms should be at least as strong as whatevers securing it, i mean why bother picking or smashing a lock if you can remove either whatever the locks attached to or possibly even just remove the whole damn door, problem solved :)
  • edited May 2011
    That's pretty cool. Come to think of it, those metal bits which your shed padlock goes onto are really flimsy and shitty. What's the best way of securing a shed anyway? They're pretty weak, being made of wood, having hinges on the outside of the door, etc.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Certain Tri-Circle padlocks, although cheap, can be a right cunt to pick.

ABUS never fails with me ;)
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited May 2011
    Any lock can be opened with a suitable application of a dremel cut off wheel, or at least any lock that I'm aware of.

Therefore all locks are cheap.
  • edited May 2011
    You can open kryptonite bike locks w a bic pen
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited May 2011
    The average external door on a house has no security pins in it. They're easier to pick than padlocks.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Also, the lock is as good as the shackle it's connected to.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited May 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Also, the lock is as good as the shackle it's connected to.

Not always true. Discus locks have very difficult to attack shackles, but are relatively easy to pick.

Discus lock
    discus-padlocks-577.jpg