Time-Lapse Videos

DfgDfg Admin
edited March 2012 in Life
I am fan of Time-Lapse videos. It's just fun to watch long hours compressed in to seconds or minutes. Here are some Time-Lapse videos.

timelapse.jpg
Sunnyside, Queens, NYC

Virgin Atlantic Plane

[VIMEO]13832328[/VIMEO]

S.Solberg - Stallion Productions

[VIMEO]14499798[/VIMEO]

For more videos.
Time-Lapse in HD

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Church and 30th St. San Francisco MUNI Construction

[vimeo]15780202[/vimeo]

I previously had said $3 million, which is what I had heard on the streets. I've since been contacted by a representative of the SFMTA who assures me that the cost was in fact $1 million

This is a time-lapse video showing the replacement of the MUNI tracks in front of my house. Demolition began on the evening of Friday, October 8, and work continued around the clock until early in the morning of Tuesday, October 12. The MUNI folks were nice enough to distribute earplugs to those of us in the immediate vicinity.

This was shot using a Canon A590, with CHDK installed (a firmware replacement for Canon cameras that enables all sorts of additional features). An image was captured approximately every 15 seconds.
  • edited October 2010

Stop and Listen to the Music

We too often pass things more precious than we will ever know. Seriously.

EDIT: The piece is Bach's Chaconne
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Wow, amazing.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    On the second vid, that's the town next to mine.

Citibank building looking nice.
  • AltindAltind Regular
    edited October 2010
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know how to make these with a video camera, or what to look for in a digital still camera that will take a photo every few minutes? I've always wanted to do this for my paintings, but have to take the photo manually as I can't automate it. I have a video camera that might work if I just speed it up, but my still camera has a better res on it.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    I've always wanted to take a time lapse. One of these years I'm going to build a solar powered camera, set it up on a hill overlooking a forest, and have it take a pic every hour a day for a year. That will be amazing. Snow, rain, color changing leaves, spring, etc. The hardest part is making sure nobody messes with the cam. I'll have to superglue the hell out of it to a piece of welded metal driven into the ground 5 feet. Then I'll have to make a weatherproof box and failproof circuitry. Fucking vandals make everything hard.

Skittles what camera do you have? I could help design a circuit maybe...
    edited October 2010
    Canon PowerShot A530

Its pretty old but does the trick. I wonder if its possible to control it with a computer :eek:
    edited October 2010
    Very simple, install the chdk firmware. It has a mode for time lapse.
    edited October 2010
    ZOMG awesome :thumbsup:

Downloading now.
    edited October 2010
    It installed on my camera perfectly :D

Just got to look at the instructions now... and recharge the batteries :angry:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Katz beat me to it. You can use any decent Camera which has an interface with the system as a time-lapse camera. Even a webcam will work provided it has good enough resolution. All you have to do is just set the time intervals and then let it roll.

Like many I also want to do this but alas I don't own a camera.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010

Time-lapse of the Corona Subway Yard

5-minute time-lapse of the drive from Melbourne to Sydney

Time-lapse video of a bridge being demolished in Ontario

[VIMEO]15937163[/VIMEO]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Time Lapse Video of BustedTees ComicCon Model Painting

[vimeo]15745316[/vimeo]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    TOY STORY 3 - SpeedPainting by Nico Di Mattia

edited November 2010
    I finally revisited this CHDK. There's a bit of reading and technical knowledge involved, but once you get your first script installed it works amazingly! Now I've got to figure out what I want my stop motion movie to be about :/
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    I finally revisited this CHDK. There's a bit of reading and technical knowledge involved, but once you get your first script installed it works amazingly! Now I've got to figure out what I want my stop motion movie to be about :/

Different phases of your dick.
    edited November 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Different phases of your dick.

I don't have one :confused:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Ants in a Scanner

[vimeo]13703448[/vimeo]
    I installed an ant colony inside my scanner five years ago.
    I scanned the nest each week.

music : Franks - Infected Mushroom.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    2010 New York Marathon

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    APEX painting the Y&R office in San Francisco

[vimeo]16876923[/vimeo]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010

Time-lapse of Christmas tree being put up in the White House

[vimeo]17408976[/vimeo]
    edited December 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Ants in a Scanner

[vimeo]13703448[/vimeo]

we already proved that video to be fake on ant day. :mad:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    “Boardwalk Empire”
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    From City to Stars

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Backyard Booty Segment: Natural Progressions

[vimeo]17746258[/vimeo]
    My segment for KMC's Backyard Booty in Nelson BC. The segment is about the transition everyone in Kootenays make from Fall into Winter. From the moment the season ends we are waiting for it to return.

Locations:
    West Kootenays
    Nelson
    Baldface Lodge

All footage shot on 7D with 24-105 L
    3D Photos (PS CS5 and AE CS5)
    Time lapse (Raw compressed with Quicktime 7)
    Editing (FCP 7 and Magic Bullet)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Wait for it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Gundam Statue in Shizuoka
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    TheChapel. A short film. (HDR timelapse)

[vimeo]16414140[/vimeo]

TheChapel is a short film paying tribute to an exceptional protestant temple in Zeliszów, Poland, designed by Karl Langhans and built in 1796-1797.

Please enjoy also the "Making of The Chapel":
    [vimeo]​19107357[/vimeo]

Credits:
    Production company:
    LookyCreative
    lookycreative.com

Direction of photography and editing:
    Patryk Kizny
    [email protected]

Photography:
    Agnieszka Gonczarek (VID)
    Robert Paluch (TL)
    Patryk Kizny (VID & TL)

Music composed by Tomas Leonhardt
    [email protected]
    tomasleonhardt.com

Motion-controlled shots achieved using DitoGear Sliders.
    ditogear.com

Video copyright © LookyCreative
    Music copyright © Tomas Leonhardt

Filmed in September and October 2010.

P.S. My timelapse post production workflow if you missed that in past:
    lookycreative.com/​lang/​en/​know-how/​timelapse-compendium/​timelapse-postproduction-workflow
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    NEVER SATISFIED: The rent is too damn high.

[vimeo]19669463[/vimeo]
    I have explored the idea of shooting time-lapse with a long time friend and talented artist who operates under the alias of NEVER (aka Never Satisfied) in Atlanta, Georgia. Never has been out of commission recently due to knee surgery followed by a nasty staph infection. While only partially recovered, he agreed to shoot for the time-lapse challenge. The artwork is titled "The rent is too damn high" and features a begging owl with droopy, drug induced eyes (prescribed pain killers). The inspiration for this creature came as a result of Never being in so much suffering due to his knee surgery along with his recent apartment hunting in NYC where he will be relocating later this month.

To complete the challenge, I built a team consisting of my business partner and co-founder @ UpThink, Erik Huber, along with fellow photographer Jeremy Stephenson. Michael Wynne generously volunteered his time to create an original piece of music for the project. Once we had the man power, all we needed was a safe location to capture Never. We picked a location in NW Atlanta at an abandoned warehouse that's far off the grid. This spot has been a favorite of mine in recent years due to mysterious tire dumpers filling the space. It's an environmental disappointment to know that all this rubber is being dumped by someone and I personally do not condone those activities. However, the vast sea of tires offered us a unique visual perspective for this project. To help portray the passing time during the day via visible light beams, we hiked into the location with a 1k generator and hazer. The visible light created by the hazer combined with the constantly changing wind flow through the space really brought the location to life. We shot bracketed RAW exposures, but steered away from using any HDRs in the final video in an effort to not get caught up in the overly tone-mapped trend amongst photographers these days. The bracketed exposures allowed us more freedom in post to create some variation within the edit. We shot with longer exposures (4-13 seconds) to emphasize the movement with motion blur. This side-project was a lot of fun for everyone involved. We did have a few technical issues during the shoot-- such as getting our gas can (full of gas) stolen, the generator flooded mid-shoot, the 12v battery used with the Dynamic Perception dolly rig failed, and we ran out of light just as the artwork was being finished. Despite the minimal complications, we managed to finish the 45 second edit* and get it posted. - Doug Urquhart

Produced by The UpThink Lab for the 2011 Gizmodo Time-lapse Video Challenge

Photography by Doug Urquhart, Erik Huber, & Jeremy Stephenson

Artwork by MISTER NEVER SATISFIED

Original Music titled "Beautiful Mourning" created by Michael Wynne

Shot on a handful of Canon D-SLRs (5D MII, 7D, 5D, 400D)
    Moco moves made possible with the Dynamic Perception dolly + TeleTrack pan/tilt head
    Special thanks to PC&E Atlanta

*Keep an eye out for an extended edit on the UpThink Vimeo page within the coming days. After endless days of rain, we returned to capture a pick-up shot of the final wall and Never painted another wall for the extended edit.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Painting of Voltron

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Red Roses

[vimeo]19360936[/vimeo]

Camera: Canon XSi with Takumar 28mm lens.

Exposure: 1 Frame every 10 minutes for seven days.
    [vimeo]18851939[/vimeo]

Music Licensed Through Pond5
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Queen Mary 2: Atlantic Timelapse

[vimeo]19901869[/vimeo]
    Timelapse sequences taken on 20 and 21 December 2010 from the upper decks of the Queen Mary 2 as she sailed from New York towards the Caribbean.

Stay tuned for the Caribbean sequences shot with my D700. ;-)

Camera: Panasonic Lumix GH1 (1.32) with the kit (14-140mm) lens and B+W ND 106 or 110 filter.

Tripod: Manfrotto 745B and 701RC2 video head.

Settings: Manual, ISO 100, 1/2 second exposure (“dragging the shutter”). The images were shot at 1 second intervals.

Post Processing:
    Image set adjusted in Adobe Lightroom 3.2 (contrast only, no colouration)
    Image set imported into an Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 2K 24p project
    Exported as 2048x1024 24p MP4

Soundtrack: Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia (Aram Khachaturian, 1903-1978)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    ESO ALMA Antenna Time Lapse

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Zodiacal Light & Milky Way Time Lapse

Milky Way and Andromeda Time Lapse

Milky Way Time Lapse over Morden Manitoba: Composite with Star Trails

• ThrillavanillaThrillavanilla Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    cool vids!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    [VIMEO]21651182[/VIMEO]

A time lapse video, produced by Lam Ho Tak.
    Music: Don't Go Awash in this Digital Landscape by Codes In The Clouds.

Lam Ho Tak, a student from City University of Hong Kong, School of Creative Media.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    24 Hours of Neon

[ame=" Hours of Neon on Vimeo[/ame]
    My first attempt at HDR tone mapping timelapse.

We start off with normal timelapse and then go into the 3 and 7 bracket tone mapped HDR timelapses.

I wanted to create a sense of colour and insanity that Las Vegas gives you. All from one view point. My balcony. With that restriction can you do it? Well I did it before in my two previous timelapses...

This was harder in a way as there was no single focal point like in the Sydney Harbour piece or the Space Needle piece.

I made a virtue of the HDR tone mapping with the change of pace in the music and also my use of bookends which I love.

There is a very detailed commentary on my website which goes into each shot in detail. It's worth a listen. philipbloom.net/​?p=13307

Music is from "Moon" by the brilliant Clint Mansell

Shot with a Gh2, T2i, T3i, 5Dmk2
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    35 years Backwards thru Time with Sam Klemke

[ame=" - 35 years Backwards thru Time with Sam Klemke (Time Lapse)[/ame]
    Time Travel backward thru the years with Sam as he grows younger with the passing decades, from a paunchy middle aged white bearded self deprecating schluby old fart, to a svelt, full haired, clean shaven, self-important, inspired but clueless 20 year old

We can all relate to the Bittersweet passage of Time, but thanks to the mystery of Self-Chronicling, we can now actually go Back In Time!

Put your seatbelts on and travel with Sam on the bumpy ride back into the precarious final years of the 20th Century in this Lifetime project .
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Time-lapse video of airplanes taking off at Boston Logan International Airport

YouTube - ‪Elapsed Time: Heavy Traffic‬‏

Video of NYC in 1983 and 1986
    YouTube - ‪NYC 1983 and 1986 original footage‬‏
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Puppy to Adult in 40 seconds.

[ame=" - Time Lapse: Puppy to Adult in 40 seconds. Dunder[/ame]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    VLT (Very Large Telescope) HD Timelapse Footage

[ame=" - VLT (Very Large Telescope) HD Timelapse Footage[/ame]

From stars perpective

[ame=" - Time Lapse Sky Shows Earth Rotating Instead of Stars[/ame]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    [ame=" - Tron Legacy : Aerosol Mural Graffiti[/ame]

TRON FTW!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Astoria Theater Demolition

[ame=" - Tottenham Court Road: Crossrail in Time Lapse[/ame]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Night Motion Timelapse: Outer Banks

Night Motion Timelapse: Outer Banks on Vimeo
    still prints and postcards of my work available here (father's day is very soon)
    fineartamerica.com/​profiles/​daniel-lowe.html

Email my work address if you would like to request any specific scene as a still.

Included are two shots of the Stumpy Point wildfire that has been burning in eastern North Carolina, U.S. for some time now. Most of the shots have wisps of smoke in the air from this fire.

The lighthouse is Hatteras Lighthouse, the tallest in North America.

The light streaks you see in the Milky Way shots are shooting stars, no airplanes this time. Shooting stars & meteors happen all the time all over planet Earth; you can't see them except in the darkest skies. Especially look for them right before dawn (in the film & real life), they seem to increase in frequency at that time.

Camera Gear:
    Canon 5DmkII (one BTS w/Canon 7D & 16-35mm)
    Canon 24mm f/1.4 lens rented from BorrowLenses.com
    Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II-L lens
    Tiffen 77mm & 85mm UV filters (vital for lens protection from salt, sand, and moisture)
    Pearstone ShutterBoss remote timer
    Bescor 40W basic LED on-camera light (mounted on its own tripod, w/ fabric dimmer)

Motion Control:
    MX2 controller from dynamicperception.com
    Orion Teletrack AZ-G telescope pan/tilt mount from
    telescope.com/​catalog/​search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=teletrack
    (Orion controlled with MX2 unit and custom interface cable)
    Dynamic Perception Stage Zero 6 ft. motion control dolly
    2 Aluratek ADMPFB100 external battery packs
    Manfrotto 460MG 3D Magnesium Head
    Manfrotto quick release plate used w/Orion
    Universal Ball Head
    2 Sunpak 6600DX tripods
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    El Cielo de Canarias / Canary sky - Tenerife on Vimeo

Project produced by Daniel Lopez. elcielodecanarias.com
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Floating Chicago - A collection of mirrored skyline timelapses on Vimeo

Through the past couple years I've shot a decent amount of time-lapses of the Chicago skyline. I figured why not take all of those and throw the same mirror filter that was warmly welcomed by a lot of people on this: flickr.com/​photos/​cshimala/​5275838854/​

I'm still scratching my head on how long it took me to attend to that dirt spot on my window that shows up too often.

Music: Neon Canyon - Libra