Why use torrents?

SpiffSpiff Regular
edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
Serious question. I am a pure leech and only DL via http, newsgrous or IRC. Why bother using torrents? For those of us with bandwidth caps, it sucks balls having to maintain a good ratio.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Not everyone has super Internet connection plus you get variety on torrents and it's fun downloading 50GB BD Movies.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    You get access to pretty much everything.
  • SpiffSpiff Regular
    edited May 2011
    I've found pretty much everything using non-torrent methods. I can't imagine DL'ing 50GB. Must be nice.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    You get access to pretty much everything.

Exactly, I have a great connection, and shit tons of bandwidth, but I still mainly use torrents for movies and music.

I rarely seed shit also, my ratio is probably the worst you have ever seen, Like 2TB down, 4GB up. Unless on the rare occasion it is something I really like and there are far to few seeds, then I seed for a day or so.
    Spiff wrote: »
    I've found pretty much everything using non-torrent methods. I can't imagine DL'ing 50GB. Must be nice.

It is. ;)

Depending on the torrent I can download that in under and hour.

Even premium accounts on RS and shit, I don't get near those speeds. It's all about selecting the proper torrents to DL, and tweaking some settings.
  • SpiffSpiff Regular
    edited May 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    It is. ;)

Depending on the torrent I can download that in under and hour.

Even premium accounts on RS and shit, I don't get near those speeds. It's all about selecting the proper torrents to DL, and tweaking some settings.

Where do you get and how much do you pay for that kind of connection?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    Charter, and my phone, internet, and cable are bundled together, like $150 USD a month.

But charter keeps hooking us up with free speed increases.

Also it's cable and no one else in my "hood" uses it. Which helps my speed quite a bit.
  • SpiffSpiff Regular
    edited May 2011
    $150/month = too rich for my blood.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011
    The biggest appeal of torrents is the ease of use. With a web crawler site like BTJunkie you find almost anything instantly.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Uni network + Torrents = 700MB in 3 minutes. No joke.
    Don't know much about IRC downloads.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Uni network + Torrents = 700MB in 3 minutes. No joke.

I love uni for this reason :D
  • edited May 2011
    I use torrents whenever available (for example, when downloading an ISO for a Linux Live CD) as my connection is unstable. If it suddenly drops out in the middle of a direct download, I'll have to start again. However, if the connection drops in the middle of a Torrent, I can pick up where I left off :D Plus there's better speeds, and more of a community.