Proxy, TOR or Nada?

SpiffSpiff Regular
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
How many of you browse via Proxy, TOR or just don't use anything? Explain why you prefer one over the other?

I use a VPN to another comp then proxy out. Never wanted to take the time to learn to use TOR.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    Unless I'm doing something that requires security such as trolling totse.info with my numerous alt accounts, I don't bother with anything. Otherwise I just use a proxy for the convenience over TOR.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011
    Not participating in online crime and not admitting to crime online - simply the best defence.
  • SpiffSpiff Regular
    edited May 2011
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    Not participating in online crime and not admitting to crime online - simply the best defence.

I agree. Using a proxy doesn't make one a criminal.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011
    Spiff wrote: »
    I agree. Using a proxy doesn't make one a criminal.

True, but unless you're at work or on a public computer with some sites blocked I don't really see any other use for proxies.
  • SemSem Regular
    edited May 2011
    Typically I use either public wifi from a local coffee house or other people's poorly secured wifi. Nothing with my name associated to it.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't really have any reason to use either.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited May 2011
    Almost always nothing. I only turn on tor just to prove i can.

I don't bother with proxy servers, they don't offer any real protection when push comes to shove.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I used my real IP a couple of times at my University, but now, even at home and sitting on the bog like now - I use TOR.
  • edited May 2011
    I use TOR at home, and when I'm out of the house and can't use it, I'll use some shitty proxy.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    This is now a TOR network map discussion thread.

bT.png

Lol jk.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited June 2011
    My vote goes to tor. Mainly because you never really know who is on the other end of the proxy server, and for access to .onion addresses.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited June 2011
    MarineBoat wrote: »
    My vote goes to tor. Mainly because you never really know who is on the other end of the proxy server, and for access to .onion addresses.

Thats also part of the problem. Steve Gibson has broken down how TOR works and why it is so horribly slow. The "Onion peeling" takes so much time and computing power. Even just a basic proxy will most likely suffice for long periods of time if you were being tracked by the Feds. Anything less would be significantly more difficult. A VPN is probably the best of both worlds. Gives you the speed of high end proxies while the protection on a level similar to TOR. The only real difference is TOR is free and far more difficult to trace (decentralized) while a VPN is actually a service that is nothing more than a bunch of high speed servers located around the world and where you can only connect to one at a time and often times there is a paper trail.

However, most VPN providers are sketchy and CAN'T legally tell you that you're "safe". Safe doesn't exist no matter what you use TBH. FBI has admitted to being an end node on TOR sucking up all the data they can (which is actually fairly easy and copyright agencies have given proof it wont protect you when Torrenting). I'm not sure if those pre-paid credit cards exist or work online for purchases, but if you got one of those and they work like a credit card for online shopping I don't see why you can't simply sign up for a VPN. They will not have your real info, and having your IP doesn't mean shit. Unless you are a Drug Cartel, Pedo Ring Leader, Terrrorist, or hacked the Pentagon I doubt that'll ever be relevant in a court case.

Speaking of such. Anyone have experience with a VPN and or whether or not they will allow Pre-Paid Credit Cards when you checkout as a Credit Card? Heard they are becoming more and more useless online because of there throw away cell phone ability.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited June 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    Thats also part of the problem. Steve Gibson has broken down how TOR works and why it is so horribly slow. The "Onion peeling" takes so much time and computing power.
    Objection, your Honor. I've used TOR with very satisfying speed before, it's all about getting a good node hooked into ass be it computationally intensive or not.
    Safe doesn't exist no matter what you use TBH.
    Bingo.

Speaking of such. Anyone have experience with a VPN and or whether or not they will allow Pre-Paid Credit Cards when you checkout as a Credit Card? Heard they are becoming more and more useless online because of there throw away cell phone ability.
    Off topic so don't reply to this but.. Bitcoin?
  • edited June 2011
    Objection, your Honor. I've used TOR with very satisfying speed before, it's all about getting a good node hooked into ass be it computationally intensive or not.

Seconded! I'm using TOR right now and it's almost like using a regular connection :thumbsup: If you're using slow nodes then just change them around. Simple :)