Anyone fucked with those traffic signs lately? *pic*

Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
edited May 2011 in Man Cave
So I always wanted to do this, and now I live in the city and I actually see these things quite a lot. So have the owners of these signs caught on to these shenanigans? What is the actual process to changing the text? I remember there was an old textfile or something on it but I'm sure its out of date. So thats about it really, educate totse on hacking electric signs.

tumblr_lbq7dfhS9K1qa19eeo1_500.jpg

Comments

• HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited May 2011
    The password by default is "DOTS"
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Dammit. we don't have those signs here :(
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Whoever hacked the English road sign needs to tell me how they did it ;)
  • edited May 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Whoever hacked the English road sign needs to tell me how they did it ;)

I had a look at one the other day, and it appeared to be radio controlled. There was a small box on the side of the pole, which may have contained something but it looked too small to be a control panel. There was an antenna on top of the sign itself, making me believe that there is a control room nearby.
  • edited May 2011
    I just had a search around Google and I found a company who sells this type of sign in the UK. Check out their website here - http://www.datadisplayuk.com/applications/parking/

It mentions that some signs use parking barriers to calculate how full a parking lot is, with the information being relayed back to the sign. I'm tempted to get in touch with them to find out a little more about how these signs work, and if it's possible to display other information on the signs (such as text, etc). Shouldn't be too hard to do - just take on the role of an organization wanting new signs in their car park :D

EDIT: There's also this - http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/334.aspx

EDIT 2 : upon further reading, it's obvious that the software which controls these signs is run from a computer, probably a Windows OS because that's easiest to use and the software only requires some text input. Could probably be hacked.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited May 2011
    The password by default is "DOTS"

It might depend on the brand.
    Working in construction a few years back I used a few of them.
    Most just had usb key boards connected to them, and a screen at the bottom to check before confirming.
    Sincd they were hire ones and used by lots of idiots the password (if it had one) was often the hire companys name, or something like 12345.
    Failing that, write too the people who make them saying you got a second hand one with no manual and could they send you one please.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited May 2011
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    Didn't the original totse get into some trouble messing with signs one time?

but major lol , Free hookers at next exit.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited May 2011
    thanks for the pic yo, awesome
  • edited May 2011
    So, is anybody going to pull another Totse prank with one of these signs? :D I'm trying to dig up more information on the UK ones, but there's something weird about them. From what I can find, the only way into those signs is from the control panel which is based in a control room somewhere. How the fuck did that parking sign get hacked before? Unless the guys had access to the control room, or they hacked their way in, I have no idea.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2011
    S0TXymAYfIE9GXhUF5ir93u3PGI6cRbUn7yX.jpg
    Wut? I always thought it was Hold "Ctrl" and "Shift" and while holding, enter "DIPY" :confused:
    Oh well can't hurt to try both of them. :o
  • edited May 2011
    We need someone to actually try this on those portable signs. I'd do it, but they don't have them here. Is anyone nearby to one and can access it? Then you can report back with some key combinations :D
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    The permanent ones i have seen look like they have a control panel in the back of the sign that they program messages into. I'm not entirely sure of the exact details as i only caught a quick look at some contractor guy fucking around in the back of it as i drove past
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    So, is anybody going to pull another Totse prank with one of these signs? :D I'm trying to dig up more information on the UK ones, but there's something weird about them. From what I can find, the only way into those signs is from the control panel which is based in a control room somewhere. How the fuck did that parking sign get hacked before? Unless the guys had access to the control room, or they hacked their way in, I have no idea.

Sounds like youre looking at motoway and car parking ones, try looking at ones for roadworks.
  • edited May 2011
    Lysdexic wrote: »
    Sounds like youre looking at motoway and car parking ones, try looking at ones for roadworks.

Yeah, I was looking at the car parking ones because when Totse hacked one before in the UK, it was a car parking one.

According to this article, I was right about the hacking part. The system which controls these signs was hacked into. Backtrack anyone? :D - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1532612/Rude-road-signs-tell-drivers-where-to-go.html
  • fuckfuck New Arrival
    edited May 2011
    People still do this?

Hahaha... good. Someone needs to deliver some more updated guides!
  • edited May 2011
    If you want to troll people there's always the non-electronic method.
    edited May 2011
    ^ See Gaiz!!!! It is DIPY :D lol!
  • edited May 2011
    fuck wrote: »
    People still do this?

Hahaha... good. Someone needs to deliver some more updated guides!

Like I said - does anybody have access to one of these signs? There MUST be someone on here with a temporary sign up nearby? If it's you, speak up, suit up and go and grab us some intelligence on the updated way of hacking roadsigns. You'll be doing Totse a huge favor!
    edited May 2011
    Like I said - does anybody have access to one of these signs? There MUST be someone on here with a temporary sign up nearby? If it's you, speak up, suit up and go and grab us some intelligence on the updated way of hacking roadsigns. You'll be doing Totse a huge favor!

Nothing like that near me.....Hell! I'm over 100ks from the nearest set of traffic lights, let alone one of them fangdangly goober traptions. Yep! Way to teckanelly for this hillbilly ass.
    Sorry bro.
  • edited May 2011
    Well damn, that sucks :( Anyone else? I'm going to work on these UK signs until I get some information, because it would totally be worth it :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2011
    Like I said - does anybody have access to one of these signs? There MUST be someone on here with a temporary sign up nearby? If it's you, speak up, suit up and go and grab us some intelligence on the updated way of hacking roadsigns. You'll be doing Totse a huge favor!1

I would (for myself, not so much totse - totse would be the excuse) if it weren't for the fact that I live in boring-ass suburbia, where there simply aren't the roads for detours.