How easily do you become addicted to Alcohol?

edited June 2011 in Man Cave
I seriously doubt I'll become addicted to alcohol due to how little I drink and my mindset (I have a pretty strong willpower, overcoming Tobacco in the past just because I knew it was a bad idea, despite enjoying cigs a lot) but I was just wondering how easy it is to actually become addicted to it.

How much would you have to drink each day, etc?

Comments

• fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited May 2011
    this much:

IMAG0198.jpg
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited May 2011
    I like to drink heavily, but 3 weeks ago I stopped completely as I'm trying to save some money, and $110 a month is a decent savings, along with the other cutbacks I've made.
  • SpiffSpiff Regular
    edited May 2011
  • HornyvoyHornyvoy Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    I believe dependence comes from situation and personality not so much the alcohol itself
  • edited May 2011
    Hornyvoy wrote: »
    I believe dependence comes from situation and personality not so much the alcohol itself

I don't know much about alcohol.... But for coke for sure sure the frequency and to some extent the amount done is a huge factor in whether or not u are likely to become addicted.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure how much alcohol it takes to be addicted but I say if you are drinking it everyday, it doesn't matter if it's only a 40oz, or a couple beers with dinner or a glass of wine you are addicted. The liver becomes accustomed to processing it as much as destroying it simultaneously. Thus, withdrawal symptoms when you stop drinking it for a week after drinking it everyday.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't get addicted to anything :cool:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I found it pretty easy to get hooked for a short time. There was a period of a month or so where I'd drink 6 pints or so a day. Cost a bomb...and thats coming from a guy that hated booze between the ages of 16 and 19.
    Yup. Too available at Uni :(
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited May 2011
    ducklips wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much alcohol it takes to be addicted but I say if you are drinking it everyday, it doesn't matter if it's only a 40oz, or a couple beers with dinner or a glass of wine you are addicted. The liver becomes accustomed to processing it as much as destroying it simultaneously. Thus, withdrawal symptoms when you stop drinking it for a week after drinking it everyday.

This sounds about right except that drinking small amounts everyday might take a while to cause addiction. Binge drinking like fanglekai showed you would result in an addiction much sooner. Also whether or not you have an addictive personality has to be taken into consideration as well as family history with different addictions.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    Varies a lot from person to person. Avoid binge drinking, and keep your priorities straight.
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    I think one way people get addicted to alchohol is the social skills that come with it, gives them better skills for dealing with people. some are quiet and Alch makes them talkative and gets rid of the awkwardness.
  • PhadrixPhadrix New Arrival
    edited June 2011
    I've been using alcohol regularly for the past ten years (even more).

There were periods where I drank more (everyday) and then periods where I drank less (breaks of two weeks or more).
    I don't know if I am really addicted because I never made a break longer than two and a half weeks maybe. But I think when these breaks work without any problems, I have no addicition to fear.

Just don't drink alcohol when you have problems and want to forget. Rather cope with your problems, solve them and then reward you with some drinking when you made it successfully. That's the way to go.