Dropping out of uni

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited May 2011 in Spurious Generalities
So at the moment im doing a computer science degree. I fucking hate every moment of it, what do you think i should do? should i just say fuck it and spend the next 2 and a half years hating every moment of my life just to get a fancy piece of paper or drop out and find something that i might enjoy doing. Sure my family will hate me and people will label me a failure but if that's what it takes to make me happy again then i will do it. Fuck anyone who says otherwise

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    You're facing the same thing as I did. Take a time out and really think what you want to do with your life and then come back and post in this thread. I started in CS but left it because it was fucking expensive and what I was being was outdated anyway and besides I wasn't really into it. I wanted to write and be someone else.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I hate to say it but I'd stick with it. After this economic shit blows over there will be a need for people with degrees. I ask myself the same thing every few months with my course, too. Nice to know I'm not alone.
  • edited May 2011
    Stick with it, and try to enjoy parts of it. Computer science sounds really shitty, but I guess it's not the end of the world. In 2 years time, you'll be proud for sticking it through and you'll have a degree at the end of it. 2 years isn't much when you consider the fact that you'll be living a shit lot longer than that. Stick with it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    Stick with it. You hate it now, but you're going to hate working at McDonalds more.

inb4 lethargica
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Stick with it. You hate it now, but you're going to hate working at McDonalds more.

inb4 lethargica

I work at a grocery store at the moment and after some thought i may as well stick with it. at the end of the day its only 2 years compared to having to work at a grocery store for the rest of my life which would suck as much as spending a life time at uni.

uni vs grocery store; definitely uni

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
    Buddha

I can agree with this

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    Glad I could be so persuasive :o
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    I Dunno, I cant count how many people I meet who still cant get jobs even with a degree. My advice is to look up a guy named John Taylor Gatto, look at his views of schooling. the whole schooling system is fucked up from the beginning anyway. My advice is to go with your gut and follow your dreams, nobody ever gets rich by working for someone else so get a good idea and start a business, be creative. Look up Gatto then decide
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited May 2011
    Don't be a fool, stay in school. :hai:
  • edited May 2011
    Go out and do stuff, your credits will still be applicable when you come back. If you want to work in a grocery store, do it and have some fun till you actually have some good reason to come back to school, if that never happens, and one day you end up as a department manager, you will be making a wage comparable to some of the less lucrative degrees, but the income cap is way lower than careers you can get into with a degree. Computer science usually pays off, but if you don't dig it, why waste time learning something you are not going to use because you don't want to work in the industry in the first place.

It really depends on how you see yourself 5 years from now, being happy does not require a lot of money, but if you want a lot of money and will not be happy without it, it's better to get a degree. If you don't want to stay in retail or go to uni, it's time for a bottle of Jack and some deep thought.

C/O
    "there is also the criminal world"
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited May 2011
    It's only 2 years. Seriously. It's not that long.

Think about it this way: you have to do something. It doesn't matter what it is. Either you're working at a grocery store or you're in school or you're doing something else. You have to be doing something, and most of your life that something is going to be working.

Sure, you could stop now and take a break, but what's the point? If you're in school at the very least you're working toward something that'll help you get a better job and make more money. Working at a grocery store gets you nowhere.

Finish up your degree, then take some time off to figure out if you want to do something else. Having a degree is better than not having one. If nothing else you'll have learned about yourself and gotten an education. You may not use your degree directly but even having a degree often makes it easier to get a decent job.

You don't really lose anything by getting the degree. Working at the grocery store full time for 2 years isn't going to get you anywhere. Finish your degree.