UK Manhole Covers + Storm Drains

edited June 2011 in Life
After having a look around on the internet, I managed to find nothing more than an article on Wikipedia which didn't help, and a load of explorations on 28dayslater. Anyway, I've just had a sudden interest in underground tunnels, including sewer systems and the idea of going into storm drains. I've had a look around on 28DL and I've dug out a bunch of exploration stories which show some people underground in massive sewer systems, including a few other tunnels which seem to run off the side of streams and rivers. Now, I have a couple of questions on these areas;

Do the types of manhole cover vary, depending on the type of drain which lies below it? For example, I know that the shitty water runaway drains at the side of the street are your basic metal grate and they all look the same - can the same be said for the manhole covers which have a ladder below them? I know they must all be big enough to fit a body down, so that's one giveaway. I can't seem to find anything online which will help though.

Also, is the sewer system/tunnels recorded down on underground maps, and where can I obtain them? If I go and speak to the right person, can I go and get a copy of a map of the sewerage system in my area? Does this map include entry points, or do I need to find them myself?

I'll probably have more questions later.

Comments

• SpiffSpiff Regular
    edited May 2011
    You can obtain this information for your area from your local library... At least in the U.S. you can as all libraries have copies of city street blueprints.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, although I'm not sure that the libraries around here keep that kind of information. I was thinking about going to the town hall and asking, but I really wouldn't know where to start.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011
    Water Industry Act 1991, Section 200:
    200 Provision of sewer maps to local authorities.

(1)It shall be the duty of every sewerage undertaker so to provide local authorities, free of charge, with—

(a)copies of the contents of records kept under section 199 above; and

(b)copies of any modifications of those records,

as to ensure that every local authority to whose area any of those records relate are at all times informed of the contents for the time being of the records relating to their area.

(2)A local authority shall secure that so much of any information provided to them by virtue of this section as consists in the contents for the time being of records kept by a sewerage undertaker under section 199 above is available, at all reasonable times, for inspection by the public free of charge at an office of the authority.
    The water companies have to provide the local authority with mains and sewer maps, which the LA must have up for public display during office hours. It will be displayed somewhere in your local council buildings. Alternatively, I believe you can request them directly from the water company, but they will send you a paper copy and charge you for the privilege.

E: these maps do display the location of manhole covers and entry points.
  • edited May 2011
    Well I'll be damned - thanks a lot brotha :D
    edited May 2011
    No problem!

I was amazed by how easily obtainable this kind of stuff is as well. Back when I wrote my dissertation (which revolved around flooding) I asked different government bodies and quangos for all kinds of stuff and most of them delivered. Someone from the EA even posted me a CD's worth of maps and catchment plans.

The main reason the maps you're after are made publically available is for potential property buyers/developers to look at. For people who are planning on buying a property and changing it's use or altering the structure significantly the location of waste water points etc is useful info. This might be a cover story worth bearing in mind if you're feeling a little paranoid about walking into the council building and asking to see the plans with no obvious reason to do so.
  • edited May 2011
    I was planning on asking under the identity of a Geography student who was interested in the layout of the underground pipes and tunnels, doing an assignment on the subject and wanted to impress the teacher with some good maps :) I assume that would work, anyway.

I might try calling up the council office and asking first, just to make sure. I might also push them to mail me some maps, but I'll probably end up going down there anyway.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Yup, this is why I went to my local Council and blagged a few maps ;)
  • edited May 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Yup, this is why I went to my local Council and blagged a few maps ;)

Can you run me through what you did? It would be very helpful :)
    edited May 2011
    Just went there with a mission in mind and I was not leaving without getting these maps. It was quite spontaneous, and I asked around a bit before getting to the Council.
    Went there, asked the camp bloke on the desk where I can go to enquire about storm drains and sanitation. Down he came and I just maintained that role of Student for the 30 minutes we were printing, finding and talking about maps. If you can find any info out before you go to make it look like you're doing an assignment or whatever, then the better :)
  • edited May 2011
    Do storm drains have a different name in the UK? I need to make sure I've got the correct lingo at hand before I go asking for something which isn't even native to England :) I'll also do some reading on drains before asking, making sure I know some stuff before he asks me questions.
    edited May 2011
    Did they charge you for printing out the maps? Or did you just flutter your eyelashes at little at the camp guy?
    edited May 2011
    Nope, was all free. A4 printing doesn't cost much (I got 4 sheets where the map can be completed when the sheets are put together). Just maintain the facade and if you have any paperwork/ID then it helps, but do it well enough and they won't ask anything - just another bloody Student ;)
    As for "storm drains" these guys still called them that and they were between 20 and late 50s, so it's a common term. Don't believe everything on the 'net :o
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    Stay out of drains.

You want culverts. Culverts are small river valleys that have been covered over but usually have a high engough ceiling so it can be walked. Stay away from anything you have to crouch in for any period of time, you do not know when it is going to piss down.

3032990256_9259fbbfa7.jpg

This is one local to me - every now and again it has been infilled inside, it also has a few blast doors. The river runs about four foot underneath the deck you walk on. It is about 2/3 mile long.

Easiest way to find them it to look at OS maps or walk river banks. It used to be a gold mine of deralict industry in these parts - old coalmines, ship yards and factories that made all kinds of things.

Bit of an odd feeling when you come across newspaper in a drawer that some one bought 20 years ago, or an old sweet wrapper. It is like going into these places is the first step of humans recolonise an area, reclaiming what was once theirs.

Now its cheaper for a owner of a building to knock it down rather than see it empty.
  • edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Stay away from anything you have to crouch in for any period of time, you do not know when it is going to piss down.

Or whose piss you're crouching in.
  • edited May 2011
    Culverts eh? I was looking at an exploration of Byker Culvert the other day, looks like a place I might have to check out sometime. In fact, I've walked right past the entrance before and I feel like a retard to have never noticed it. I'm going to have a look for a list of other culverts around the country. I might have to have a little road trip sometime :)

Do the maps of drainage and shit show culverts on them? Or can I get these locations and maps online for free? :D
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Culverts eh? I was looking at an exploration of Byker Culvert the other day, looks like a place I might have to check out sometime. In fact, I've walked right past the entrance before and I feel like a retard to have never noticed it. I'm going to have a look for a list of other culverts around the country. I might have to have a little road trip sometime :)

Do the maps of drainage and shit show culverts on them? Or can I get these locations and maps online for free? :D

That is Byker culvert in the photo. I have done it a few times.

Just buy some OS maps or look at them in the library - I prefer to have my own to take out with me. Look for un-natural breaks in drainage channels on them, a lot of old mine works are marked - good for above ground sometimes but dont go below ground unless you know what you are doing. Just ponder over a map and look for stuff - strange topography, large flat areas that have a road going to them but no other markings etcetera.
    edited May 2011
    Well, I never knew so many totseans lived in Newcastle.... It's a shame I don't live there anymore.
  • edited May 2011
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    Well, I never knew so many totseans lived in Newcastle.... It's a shame I don't live there anymore.

I don't live there, just been there a couple of times :) I was looking for a local pub and I happened to walk along a footpath which followed the stream which Byker Culvert is connected to. I can't remember what the stream is called though.
    edited May 2011
    Ouseburn. I once did some volunteer work cleaning it up, and left with the impression that every menstruating woman on Tyneside uses it as their personal litter bin.
    edited May 2011
    Thats because most of it before it goes in the culvert is tidal. It doesnt get as much trash pushed up it any more, the river is a lot cleaner down. I have swam in the Tyne a few times and did not get a disease.
  • edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Thats because most of it before it goes in the culvert is tidal. It doesnt get as much trash pushed up it any more, the river is a lot cleaner down. I have swam in the Tyne a few times and did not get a disease.

As you walk along the quayside, there's only a small fence which is stopping you from falling into the river. However, it's only about waist high... How many people have literally stepped out of a bar/club, drunkenly crossed the street and gone straight over the railings? :D
    edited June 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    As you walk along the quayside, there's only a small fence which is stopping you from falling into the river. However, it's only about waist high... How many people have literally stepped out of a bar/club, drunkenly crossed the street and gone straight over the railings? :D

Never heard of anyone managing to do that, but on a couple of occasions people either fell or drunkenly decided to jump off the Tuxedo Princess.
    I have swam in the Tyne a few times and did not get a disease.
    Despites it's appearances I'm not actually surprised. The main river is actually rediculously clean (in terms of chemicals and what not). Supposedly there's a big salmon population in the river now, which is an indication of a very celan water course. Never went in the main river myself; something about the tides and undercurrents put me off. Been in the North Tyne up near Wall though, that's a beautiful stretch of river for wild swimming.