Dumpster Diving?

PsyCl0nePsyCl0ne Semo-Regulars
edited May 2011 in Man Cave
Kind of shocking that there isn't a single DD thread on here. Any way I'm looking for information that I could used to scrounge up electronics. Basically any good ideas of where I could begin my search. As of right now I'm in western Canada which I know will make a difference, and am in a large oil and gas city.

So far places that I have seen where you can get rid of old computers and the such have been within stores where you have to deal with associates and end up in a storage room till whom ever comes by and picks the stuff up. Hopefully if the downpour we are currently in lightens up I hope to be raiding the local dump to see if I can possibly scrounge up anything from there....

Would anyone else happen to have any expertise/knowledge that could possibly help in getting this done?

~PsyCl0ne

Comments

• edited May 2011
    nothing to it...just wear protective gear so you don't get any bacterial infections...and just dig dig dig..
  • edited May 2011
    It's the location which is always the bitch to find :( A lot of places don't throw their electronics into the dumpster which can be annoying if that's what you're looking for. I have no idea. You could try and gain access to the storage rooms you mentioned though :thumbsup: Unfortunately, the only dumpster diving I've done is for documents and papers instead of electronics.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    I've never really been looking for electronics, although I have found a few. I've had alot more luck in residential area's than commercial ones though. Especially in the college suburbia area's. No one wastes more than those people. You might find some awesome stuff around industrial/commercial area's but for the most part old electronics get "recycled" or given away to the poor, that is why I think you might have more luck in residential area's. It's all about being lucky and having the right timing. It was also illegal where I was doing it at, so I brought a bicycle, a friend, and a big knife. One of those with a serrated edge like a saw, this way you can cut through shit and make your search faster. Although it can make it messier also. A face mask/air filter might also be useful, and make sure to wear some big shit kickers, there will be alot of shit to kick.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd echo the comments about colleges and dumps. Also, try websites like craigslist/freecycle/gumtree. I see old computers listed for free on those quite regularly.