Learning Dutch

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited June 2011 in Life
So I intend at some point in my life to go there, and Christmas looks set. One thing I want to do in life is learn a few languages.
Just downloading the Rosetta Stone Dutch .ISO and giving that a go.
Anyone else had any luck with Dutch? It's a helluva lot like German...but odd.

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    So I intend at some point in my life to go there, and Christmas looks set. One thing I want to do in life is learn a few languages.
    Just downloading the Rosetta Stone Dutch .ISO and giving that a go.
    Anyone else had any luck with Dutch? It's a helluva lot like German...but odd.

I've been trying to learn German using Rosetta stone, Dutch seems to unusual for me
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited May 2011
    I spoke to some Dutch (Danish?) people when I was in Lanzarote a few years ago, they said that most of them speek German, and quite a few also speek English, but found it odd that even though Germany is next door not many speek dutch.
    They taught me a but, like German if you speek English its fairly easy to pick up.

At work some of the fat we use comes from there, so I have been meaning to try and learn some but Im too lazy too. Let us know how it goes.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Rosetta Stone is actually quite useful :) I really like the spelling/reading aspect as audio CDs are usually missing the spellings etc when Torrented.

Will update you in a few days and see how it goes. Also looking at Italian as I speak the basics.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Ok, Rosetta Stone is AWESOME. Italian and Dutch. Quite scary how fast I picked them up, seeing as I knew nothing prior.
  • AbsorbingAbsorbing Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    Personally learning Dutch with Rosetta Stone myself. Quick, easy learning.

I'm moving to Holland in a few years (relatives in Germany, I just feel Holland is a nicer place and relatively close) and needed to learn the language. German is next.

I've been told by a fair few Germans that Dutch just sounds like drunk German and the two are similar enough for you to be able to grasp the basics of what they're saying.