Should I have handled it differently?

WANWAN Regular
edited May 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Hi. A few days ago I was working with this girl. I went on my break, and when I came back, she told me that a customer that I helped came back with the receipt from the point of sale machine but without the formal, store receipt wished to return the item that he bought. She said she couldn't find the store receipt in the trash but she refunded him the money anyway. Now the till would be out and she wanted me to tell the manager. I looked in the trash can but couldn't find the store receipt in there and I was pretty unhappy, because that means I would now be out. She said the customer said I didn't give him the store receipt, so basically she was blaming it on me, then I said, I always gave the store receipt to the customers. Then she said, "i can give you the customer's phone number and you can argue with him", so right there I knew she was getting a little upset. Finally, as I searched and searched in the garbage can and still couldn't find the missing store receipt, I mumbled under my breath (but still audible for her) how I failed to see why it was that I had to be the one to tell the manager that the till was going to be short. So that's the gist of what happened a few days ago. Now I went to work today, and I found out that she had probably requested my manager that she not work with me during the same day.

Did I handle the situation right? The way I see it, we are not supposed to give refund to the customer without the store receipt but she did it anyway, so it should be her responsibility to tell the manager, not me. I believe what happened with this customer was he took the point of sale receipt, then promptly left, without staying a few extra seconds for the store receipt to print, so that's probably why he was under the impression that I didn't give him the store receipt. But regardless of whose fault it was that the customer didn't have the store receipt, the fact still stands that she gave the refund without a proper store receipt, thus causing the till to be short, so I believe it should be her to tell the manager about it. So that's how I see it, but obviously she is mad at me now, so I am not sure if I handled this whole situation correctly or not. How would you have done it, totse?

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited May 2011
    She's a cunt. It would be best if you murdered her.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    If the manager asks say you know nothing about it. After all it was her who did it not you, Why should you be held accountable. Never trust women.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited May 2011
    i work in retail , and you have to tell the manager or area supervisor . and why was she using your register ? this is why people should not let other people to use their registers.
  • WANWAN Regular
    edited May 2011
    blindbat wrote: »
    i work in retail , and you have to tell the manager or area supervisor . and why was she using your register ? this is why people should not let other people to use their registers.

There was only one till

I agree that someone has to tell the manager if the till is going to be out. but my point was that she was the one to do it, not me
    edited May 2011
    wdf ? damn that store must me fucking tiny. well if they question you , hopefully the cameras are pointed at the register and they'll hopefully can see that , that shit went down when you were @ break.
    edited May 2011
    WAN wrote: »
    There was only one till

I agree that someone has to tell the manager if the till is going to be out. but my point was that she was the one to do it, not me

Does the manager know that you were on your break?
  • WANWAN Regular
    edited May 2011
    Does the manager know that you were on your break?

yes she does. but my point is not whether the manager knows that I didn't do it, but rather, it is that this girl should have realized that it was her who gave the refund without the proper receipt, therefore it was her who should have told the manager, not me, and she shouldn't get mad at me for pointing this out
    edited May 2011
    i did the same thing one time she prolly didn't tell the manager because she was afraid she was gonna get in trouble and or because she was afraid to tell the manager. but fuk it even though YOU had to inform the manager. the sooner, the faster problems can be solved.
    edited May 2011
    WAN wrote: »
    yes she does. but my point is not whether the manager knows that I didn't do it, but rather, it is that this girl should have realized that it was her who gave the refund without the proper receipt, therefore it was her who should have told the manager, not me, and she shouldn't get mad at me for pointing this out

Sounds like she needs to learn that she is responsible for her own actions, not anyone else. Only an idiot puts their self in that position, she should know better. Exactly the type of person i cannot stand working with, that and people who fuck around and hold things up because they can't get their shit together. I hate working in retail, i cannot wait until i finish my degree and get the fuck out of the industry.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    You need to be more assertive, but seeing as you are an overweight, mentally ill dink, you will still have a barrel full of problems with that one worked out.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    She is being a bitch, she knows she fucked up but won't admit it. She will try to get her neck cleared. In times like these I just point to the rules and say, look mate those are the rules, I can't do anything about it.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited May 2011
    She shouldn't have given the refund as the customer was an extremely obvious scammer. It should be up to her to take responsibility for the short till, and it should be up to her to tell the manager she fucked up. Also, you wouldn't want to work with that senseless idiot one more day anyways, because she'll only take the lazy way out again and fuck you over even worse next time.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2011
    Don't you have to punch in your own access number before opening the till? Our is the till still one of these.
    3530616052_44090a6908_z.jpg