Germany to shut all Nuclear Power Plants by 2022

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited May 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This is by far the most retarded, kneejerk News story I have ever seen. Looks like the Hippies got what they wanted, and the scare factor went just as planned. Tech will change in the next 11 years, I'm sure, but still...pretty ambitiou-, I mean, retarded.
Now I will sit back and laugh if this happens, because there isn't much in the way of tidal power in Germany except for rivers, and solar energy is just pointless in most Northern Hemisphere Nations...wind might do it, but lots of people oppose the wind farms and their impact on the environment. Still, on with the news.
Germany's coalition government has announced a reversal of policy that will see all the country's nuclear power plants phased out by 2022.

The decision makes Germany the biggest industrial power to announce plans to give up nuclear energy. Environment Minister Norbert Rottgen made the announcement following late-night talks.
Chancellor Angela Merkel set up a panel to review nuclear power following the crisis at Fukushima in Japan.
There have been mass anti-nuclear protests across Germany in the wake of March's Fukushima crisis, triggered by an earthquake and tsunami.

I hope you're happy, fags. It's not as if Germany is built on or near a fault-line, and the only credible threat is brown people with a bomb, but Germany is pretty good at getting them. So where's the fear?

More.

Comments

• dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    COmplete idiocy. They get near 25% of their power from nuclear and they are going to phase this out over the next 11 years. Have fun with the lights turned off Germany.

fwuejc.jpg

This shows how stupid they are. Every country in red has power generating reactors. The biggest threat is not an accident on home soil - after all, you can control what is happening at home to ensure things do not happen - but an accident abroad which they cannot control.

I sometimes wonder what goes through the minds of politicians. A 25% reduction on reliable power for industry will really fuck with the German economy.

We might see them back in their tanks in a few years to come trying to capture the open plains to the east, declaring it Bewegen Luftraum so they can put up windmills.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    They still have enough Jews to burn for another 100 years :o
  • edited May 2011
    Politicians frequently make decisions they have no intention of keeping, or that are overturned by their successor(s).

I wouldn't put much store in Merkel's eco lip-service.