Moron tracked by Twitter and webcam after he nicked the laptop

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
16004410.jpg
A theft-tracking computer programme has helped a man in America trace his laptop after it was stolen.

Once the software, called Hidden, is activated it can send the owner photos of people using the device as well as screen shots of the computer.

Joshua Kaufman had downloaded the software shortly before his flat was burgled on March 21 and his Macbook was stolen.

More.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I'm definitely getting that shit.

Why don't they have this for cars?
  • JackJack Regular
    edited June 2011
    There's LoJack and similar systems. I guess you could rig up something like the police do with bait cars to take photos/video, why do we need a packaged product for this?
  • edited June 2011
    Fucking LOL. That's awesome stuff, I love the idea of photographing Paki's who rob your shit. Good find bro.
  • edited June 2011
    That's a nifty bit of software. I presume it's something that can be removed via formatting?
  • edited June 2011
    That's a nifty bit of software. I presume it's something that can be removed via formatting?

If it's software then yes. After stealing a laptop, you should NEVER boot the OS up until you've formatted it anyway.
  • edited June 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    If it's software then yes. After stealing a laptop, you should NEVER boot the OS up until you've formatted it anyway.

I've certainly been told of viruses that can't be removed via standard formatting, that may be BS, but it's something I'd be wary of all the same. Then again maybe what may work for viruses can't always be applied to regular software.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible that this idiot just bought the Laptop from the real theif?
  • SemSem Regular
    edited June 2011
    I've certainly been told of viruses that can't be removed via standard formatting

Boot sector viruses I believe. One of my old Profs had a song and dance about those fuckers.
  • edited June 2011
    Sem wrote: »
    Boot sector viruses I believe. One of my old Profs had a song and dance about those fuckers.

Ah, yes, that's what they were called. Allegedly may as well throw the hard drive in a fire if you get one of those.
  • edited June 2011
    Boot sector viruses? Couldn't you remove a boot sector virus by simply formatting the boot sector?
  • SemSem Regular
    edited June 2011
    Something about the order of how things ran when a computer starts. I think the virus infected the Volume Boot Record which is not partitioned on the HDD.

I can honestly say I have seen one virus survive multiple formats and installations of two different OS on the fucker.