RWD, FWD, AWD, 4WD, Whats your favorite?

SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
edited August 2011 in Man Cave
I personally like 4WD because I have the ablity to choose between RWD, AWD with Rear Bias, and 50:50 Power distribution.

Rear Wheel Drive is my second favorite, hauls more ass.

AWD and FWD are tied for last. I love AWD, but owning one would be a pain because it consumes quiet a bit of fuel providing power to all 4 wheels, plus I don't get to change the distribution. FWD I dislike because I have honestly never seen or driven a fast FWD car, although I do like how they steer.

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Seitzy wrote: »
    AWD and FWD are tied for last. I love AWD, but owning one would be a pain because it consumes quiet a bit of fuel providing power to all 4 wheels

I own one and it goes through a lot of gas. about time i look at getting a new vehicle anyway
  • TadacantTadacant New Arrival
    edited May 2011
    I own a FWD car its a small little car, works well in canadian winters. The problem with FWD is that if you have too much power/accelerate too quickly you'll get torque steer and have trouble controlling the car - its doing too many things at once.
    FWD is a lot of fun for controlled drifts in snow/ice though
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    see, it's weird for me, because i've never had BETTER traction in a FWD car, I've always had awful traction in rain specifically
  • edited May 2011
    RWD all the way. Let the front wheels think about the steering, let the back ones think about pushing that car forward. Definitely works a lot better IMO.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited May 2011
    Only men drive 4x4's

I loved my first dodge that had it. Never look back

Best vehicle i ever bought.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    I own one and it goes through a lot of gas. about time i look at getting a new vehicle anyway
    Soobie....amirite?:p
    You gotta admit. AWD do handle nicely.

I had a crappy assed Pajero a little while back. Diesel turbo & gutless as fuckI literally hated it until we had a shit load of rain that flooded a shitload of roads where I am. That crappy assed Pajero got me home. Even a logging truck wouldn't go through the flood zone I took that 4x4. He turned around and waited it out.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited June 2011
    For small cars, FWD.
    Anything else, gotta be 4x4/RWD.

Never had a small car that needed RWD for power, even in winter. Though I prefer 4WD/RWD overall, i'm driving a 4cyl fwd right now.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Soobie....amirite?:p
    You gotta admit. AWD do handle nicely.

I had a crappy assed Pajero a little while back. Diesel turbo & gutless as fuckI literally hated it until we had a shit load of rain that flooded a shitload of roads where I am. That crappy assed Pajero got me home. Even a logging truck wouldn't go through the flood zone I took that 4x4. He turned around and waited it out.

Nah, mitsubishi rvr, gutless piece of shit but sticks to the road well. Costs me at least 20 bucks to drive to uni and back, its about time i sold it to be honest.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    Nah, mitsubishi rvr, gutless piece of shit but sticks to the road well. Costs me at least 20 bucks to drive to uni and back, its about time i sold it to be honest.
    It's not so much the vehicle that sucks the fuel. It's our government sucking the taxes on it. :(
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited June 2011
    I like RWD it is predictable and controllable if you know how to drive.
  • AngryGimpAngryGimp Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    4x4 but only if you are going to use it off road, nothing worse then seeing big lifted trucks driving around the city that's never seen a dirt road.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    AngryGimp wrote: »
    4x4 but only if you are going to use it off road, nothing worse then seeing big lifted trucks driving around the city that's never seen a dirt road.

I agree. The lifted trucks are very annoying. painted ghetto camo and shit.

4x4 is boss, but AWD beats it. you can't steer well with 4x4 because the 2 shafts will grind against each other. with the 3 differentials that AWD provides, it's seamless when you take a hard corner. My 4Runner runs well in 4x4, but when I take a really tight turn (Which is common in Pennsylvania because the streets were drawn up in 1745) my steering radius is cut off and I can hear a really loud grinding sound.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2011
    AWD with variable settings.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited August 2011
    My AWD(Subaru outback) absolutely charges through fuel, for a while I was going through a tank every 3 days or so. Fuck I wish I lived closer to my uni.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Plebert wrote: »
    My AWD(Subaru outback) absolutely charges through fuel, for a while I was going through a tank every 3 days or so. Fuck I wish I lived closer to my uni.

how many miles do you drive each day? I find it hard to believe a Boxer-4 engine goes through fuel really fast.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited August 2011
    Seitzy wrote: »
    how many miles do you drive each day? I find it hard to believe a Boxer-4 engine goes through fuel really fast.

IIRC I think I put it through about 15 000 km in 6 months
    thats an average of ~82 Km a day.

Plus it's hardly the most aerodynamic car in the world.