How do You Dispose of Personal Documents?

I'm sure we all get things through the mail which contain personal information, such as bank statements, medical documents and whatnot. It's important to dispose of them properly in case they get lost, get picked up by dumpster divers or even people looking to get information on you. Identity theft can happen through this type of document, which would suck balls.

Personally, I shred everything which I get through the mail (sensitive or not). This include things which have my name and address on - even brochures or random junk mail. After shredding, I put all the shreds into the fireplace and then burn them all up :) It's a good way of getting rid of the evidence, and who doesn't like making fires? :thumbsup:

So, what do you do?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Depends on the documents. I usually rip them apart and burn them when needed.
  • edited June 2011
    Why shred it if you're turning it to ash?
  • edited June 2011

Well, for a start it allows the paper to burn much better. It catches better, allows for more air flow to get into the paper so that it burns hotter. Plus, who knows - you might burn some paper and it doesn't fully burn, so your information is still on it. This can still be recovered because you haven't shredded :D

It's like saying - why Truecrypt it if you've already got it inside a passworded RAR file?

Security man :)
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited June 2011
    I blast them into the sun. No one's getting those details.
  • edited June 2011
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    I blast them into the sun. No one's getting those details.

Except the sun.

Wait until you have a bunch of credit card charges from the center of the solar system. Then you'll be sorry.
  • DarkInsanityDarkInsanity Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011

Havent you seen "The Tourist"?
  • edited June 2011
    Havent you seen "The Tourist"?

I haven't - what happens in it?
  • DarkInsanityDarkInsanity Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I haven't - what happens in it?

Someone burns a letter and they use high tech shit to read words off the ashes. Kind of kickass
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited June 2011
    Someone burns a letter and they use high tech shit to read words off the ashes. Kind of kickass

Oh yeah. The letter is burned but they manage to make the print visible and use some high tech shit to align the pieces together.

I usually just shred my stuff and then dip my hand in and rip the remainings.
  • WANWAN Regular
    edited June 2011
    For the guy that says he shreds the paper, does this mean you have a shredder just for this purpose?

I personally don't bother shredding/burning anything. At this pharmacy where I used to work, we shredded all the labels after we peeled them off the prescription bottles.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    Mash it into pulp.
  • edited June 2011
    WAN wrote: »
    For the guy that says he shreds the paper, does this mean you have a shredder just for this purpose?

I personally don't bother shredding/burning anything. At this pharmacy where I used to work, we shredded all the labels after we peeled them off the prescription bottles.

Yeah bro, shredder for this purpose. It's not a particularly good one as it only shreds into strips (some shredders can shred into squares, and military grade ones literally dust the paper) but I don't need anything special as the paper is mostly burned afterward anyway :thumbsup:
  • HermanoHermano Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    Throw them in the bin.
  • edited June 2011
    Shred. I would burn the shreddings for the reasons Trx100 gave but a) I'm too lazy and b) I have no where convenient to burn paper.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    I just burn them :) Mainly because I've got a big chimnea in my garden that I can just throw it all on. If someone really wants to piece together my documents as the posts above describe, they can have them just for the kudos of actually doing it lol!
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited June 2011
    i give them to a trustworthy crackhead to dispose of them
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    I got into the habit of burning them, my father does the same. He used to water the remains afterwards as well.

Surprising for someone of his nature.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Fold, rip loads, leave in toilet until I can flush. Failing that, burn it.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited June 2011
    Burn, the use the ash as compost on the garden.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited June 2011
    TMNT1987_Shredder.png
    +
    BBQ_lighting_fluid.gif
    =
    [ame=" - Arthur Brown - Fire[/ame]
  • edited June 2011
    Hermano wrote: »
    Throw them in the bin.

Seriously? Do you not worry about having those documents taken straight from your trash or even from the dump, or from anywhere? And don't tell me it doesn't happen, because we have threads on here about dumpster diving :D
  • JackJack Regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't have a shredder or anywhere to burn properly, so I take a jet lighter and burn holes in the papers where it shows my personal info.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited June 2011
    I smoke all my personal information in a giant blunt on a weekly basis.