LOL Overheating

edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
So yesterday, my friend gave me her laptop for free as she'd bought a new one and didn't use this one any more. I was a little confused at first but snatched up the offer after she complained that it was slow and that the Wireless "didn't work anymore". Yeah right!

I took it home and I've been messing around with it for a little while. I installed the driver for the Wireless card (durr :facepalm:) and cleaned it up a little, removing shitty programs, malware and other stuff which isn't needed.

Earlier today, I noticed that it was starting to become a little warm, so I fired up Speccy to check my temperatures...

pMm.png

Holy shit!

I turned it off immediately, flipped it upside down and removed the battery. After grabbing a screwndriver, I removed the bottom of the case... DUST CITY. Never before have I seen so much dust, hair and plain SHIT inside a laptop! I had to get the vacuum cleaner to it because it was so thick. I also found that a massive clump of dust had gotten so big and thick (it was a ball of dust, literally) that it had stopped the fan from spinning around. WTF?!

After removing all the dust and putting some new thermal paste on the CPU, the temperatures are looking like this...

Ql.png

Which, while not being the best temperatures in the world, is pretty good for a shitty old laptop. It's also constant, which is a relief.

Good times!

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Man... some times you just need to take your shotgun and start shooting people. Anyway congrats on the Laptop. Make it a server or something awesome, like a wireless hacking machine!
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited June 2011
    Not bad, some more RAM and it should be a ok system for easier tasks.
    Stupid people throwing away "broken" computers is every computer enthusiasts best friend.
    I had soo much computer parts that i found in dumpsters and got from friends and family that thought it was broken that i had to start throwing it away.

No such luck with laptops tho, fastest one i got is a Pentium 3... :facepalm:
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited June 2011
    Have fun with your new toy. Like Dfg said, do something awesome.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited June 2011
    Damn dude. How the fuck does dust even get in there?
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited June 2011
    Using your laptop in bed / on a sofa is usually the cause. The fans suck dust in with the air and it clings to everything and starts accumulating until it looks like it's been filled with down.

I recently got a PC full of dust from an uncle of mine. I opened the case and said "Oh gee" and got the vacum cleaner out. Dust was packed in there like someone had emptied a pillow in the case. The former owner was looking pretty shocked to see all that dust in there.

I threw the keyboard and mouse away because they were so fucking filthy. Food scraps and what seemed to be dried bodily fluids. Nasty, nasty, nasty. I never looked at that family the same way again. They are a bunch of uptight queers always trying to uphold an image of "higher class" but they computer was just filthy.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited June 2011
    This might explain why my laptop's been slow lately.
    H6j0k2OuUXZQzm6GjW959rXujxq04o7P4OM7.jpg
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011

Dude, UNPLUG AND CLEAN IT! You're killing it.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited June 2011
    If it was going to burn out, it would have done so long ago. It's not even as bad as it used to be. This laptop is 4 years old and has been through 2 deserts.
    Maybe I'll clean it out over the weekend. Another day won't hurt.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    My laptop gets insanely hot sometimes. I think I need to give it a good going over :o cheers for reminding me, trx. As if the burning hands weren't enough.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy shit wanderer get that thing an ice pack at least.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    Give it 2 disprin to bring the fever down bro. :eek:
  • SemSem Regular
    edited June 2011
    Congratulations on the laptop Trx100. Dust aside the worst I've seen in a computer were a bunch of dead roaches scattered about the case.

Wait....no the roaches still alive hiding in the heat sink have to be the worst. I can now tell if a computer is dead via insect infestation with my olfactory senses alone.
  • edited June 2011
    God damn General! You really should clean it out. Open it up, suck out all the dust with a vacuum cleaner and make sure there's none clinging anywhere inside the case. Take the heatsink off as well, clean that out and maybe replace your thermal paste. Works a treat :)