ITT: ask me questions about engineering

ZipZip Semo-Regulars
edited October 2010 in Tech & Games
I have a BS in industrial engineering (systems, manufacturing, business, management, etc.) with petroleum engineering concentration (reservoir, production, drilling, upstream, downstream, etc.) I took courses in other departments as electives so I have a pretty good idea of what's involved in the other engineering fields. I will be taking the FE exam shortly, the first step in professional licensure in the United States.

Education questions, technical questions, all are welcome!

Comments

• st3vest3ve Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Is it true that just about any job will pay you more for having an engineering degree?
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    What exactly do you do in your field?
    I am considering doing sometype of engineering (very similar to what you have done).

Why did it appeal to you, and does it still appeal?
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2010
    What was the hardest course you took?
  • Chimera 1Chimera 1 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Crazzyass wrote: »

for me, its thermodynamics. I dunno, a lot of people find it pretty straightforward. I guess i just suck
  • ZipZip Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    st3ve wrote: »
    Is it true that just about any job will pay you more for having an engineering degree?

Not necessarily, your pay is mostly commensurate with experience, not your degree.
    Greenbull wrote: »
    What exactly do you do in your field?
    I am considering doing sometype of engineering (very similar to what you have done).

Why did it appeal to you, and does it still appeal?

Right now I'm doing some business intelligence work on contract, but I'll be moving soon to seek work in oil and gas. Industrial engineers basically look at systems of people, products, machines and try to improve them, usually to make more money. This could mean anything from traditional industrial engineering, like developing standards for how someone should complete a task, to operations research methods such as creating mathematical models to optimize a coffee blend for consistency and quality.

Petroleum engineers develop drilling, casing, cementing, fracturing programs for wells, observe production to make estimates and process improvements, and develop reservoir models to find out where the oil and/or gas is located and estimate recoverability.
    Crazzyass wrote: »

Probably stochastic methods in operations research, which is basically developing mathematical models to optimize processes with some element of randomness, like machine reliability or creating purchasing policies (see: Markov decision processes). It involved a lot of mathematics and wasn't always intuitive.
  • megamanmegaman Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    what made you decide to get a degree in engineering?
  • ZipZip Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    megaman wrote: »
    what made you decide to get a degree in engineering?

I've always had an interest in the more applied side of math and science, but I was never completely sure which engineering field I wanted to go into. I chose industrial engineering because of the mathematics and business emphasis which I thought was most practical and doesn't really restrict you to any single industry. Though the operations research and statistics material was very mathematical, by my second year I started to get the feeling that the material was spread a little too thin, not reaching a great enough depth in any particular subject. I started studying petroleum engineering particularly because I found petroleum economics interesting.
  • edited August 2010
    Chimera 1 wrote: »
    for me, its thermodynamics. I dunno, a lot of people find it pretty straightforward. I guess i just suck

Yes ... thermodynamics is the same as racialdynamics. THe hi will always flow to the lo .... or the lo will always sucks the hi .... in both temperature and racial superiority.

Niggers ---> white women/men.

white men/women ----> chink women/men.

Now I got this for you :

Calculate, based on the current data, the minimum time it took for U.S to achieve racial equilibrium .....

that is to say until it become a mongrelized nation chocked full of racially identical undermen/women.
  • edited September 2010
    Why focus on petroleum engineering? Isn't that career field going to begin to drastically shrink in the near future?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes ... thermodynamics is the same as racialdynamics. THe hi will always flow to the lo .... or the lo will always sucks the hi .... in both temperature and racial superiority.

Niggers ---> white women/men.

white men/women ----> chink women/men.

Now I got this for you :

Calculate, based on the current data, the minimum time it took for U.S to achieve racial equilibrium .....

that is to say until it become a mongrelized nation chocked full of racially identical undermen/women.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
  • Name's TakenName's Taken Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Did you have to do any geology or geomorphology for your petroleum engineering?
  • ZipZip Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2010
    Did you have to do any geology or geomorphology for your petroleum engineering?

Not in much depth, but some knowledge of sedimentology and stratigraphy is always useful because hydrocarbons occur in structural and stratigraphic traps. We focused more on rock properties at the micro scale, concerned with things like porosity, permeability and capillary effects, leading to applications of Darcy's law which describes fluid flow in porous media, which is actually very simple compared to other applications of fluid dynamics.
  • ZipZip Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2010
    Why focus on petroleum engineering? Isn't that career field going to begin to drastically shrink in the near future?

Not for the duration of my career at least. As hydrocarbon deposits become harder to find more technical expertise will be needed to maintain production. Much of what we do can be applied to water resources, coal extraction and potential future energy sources like methane clathrates.