Tools on Night Ops

DeadWeightDeadWeight Semo-Regulars
edited June 2011 in Man Cave
What tools does everyone take out?

I've only ever taken out a pocket knife, a heavy duty set of pliers and shit pair of bolt cutters, but I am looking for something a lot lighter.

Will probably buy a multitool and leave the bolt cutters at home. What do you use?

Comments

• HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited June 2011
    Depends on if it's for business, cars, house, or something else. Tools show intent though so if I were to do something like that I wouldn't fuck with them just scoping around or whatever.

If you were to have a target in mind on the other hand then just bring what you need for the job.
  • edited June 2011
    I only take whatever I need for that particular operation. If it's a recon mission to get an idea of what you're going to be up against at a later date, I pack extremely lightly taking only things which will fit in my pockets or on a belt. If you're looking to do something a little harder then you'll probably need some proper tools, like you suggested :thumbsup:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    I used to take
    • 10-piece lockpick set (but usually I'd have 3 good picks and 2 tension wrenches) until I realised I could be done for intention to burgle. I went on a spree one night and opened about 20 sheds in an allotment, then left a note on each one to the owners to upgrade their security/padlock/clasps. Grey hat FTW.
    • Mid range Mag-lite.
    • Police Baton (Asp) or Balisong knife until I realised the severity of it and the fact I was cultivating Cannabis at the time. Did not want that on my record, so soon stopped. Being British = Police Asp or Knife = Offensive weapon + Breaking and Entering = You are getting raped by Bubba in the showers.
    • Food and some water.
    • iPod if I was on top of an office block. Nothing like chilling, looking over a city and listening to Massive Attack or Underworld. Just do it when you're confident Security/other people aren't around as you can't hear them sneaking up.
    • Flat head screwdriver. Not sure why. Maybe to pry things open?
    • Digital SLR
    • Tripod + bungie cord to secure on my back, next to my DSLR bag which also had food, screwdriver and other non-essentials in.
    • Leather, fingerless gloves. Fuck fingerprints. If I needed, I'd have thick latex gloves for specific tasks.
    • Recon notes/Map.
    • Lighter.
    • Smoke bomb and a few firecrackers in case things got messy and I needed to make a diversion.
    • Biker balaclava.

There were probably more, but I haven't done it properly in years. As trx said, it all depended on what I was doing, so due to that, I might not have taken a lockpick set etc, but might have had a hi-viz vest, clipboard, welly boots and hard hat to look official when looking in and doing some recon. I'd also conform to the following and I hope you do too in order to preserve it:
    • Never steal anything. No matter how tempting. It will only beef up security for your contemporaries and spark interest in your activity from locals, Police and whoever else.
    • Always assume there is CCTV. My mate went up a ladder and as he got to the top there was a fat CCTV dome staring him in the face.
    • If compromised, run. If apprehended, don't talk. If detained, be considerate and respectful. If you weren't stealing anything, then you're fine. If you're carrying weapons/lockpicks, then prepare for a buttfucking. It's a trade off. Security guards hate their jobs, and are shit scared of people walking around their site. I've spoken to many, but never been caught. Was chased once though.
    • Recon, recon, recon. You can't do enough.
    • Always think "how do people see me?". If you think you look suspicious, you probably are.

Also, cannot reccommend this book enough on the topic.
  • edited June 2011
    You really have got to be careful what you take with you on Night Ops, in case you're caught carrying something which is illegal or could be taken as an offensive weapon. I think that if you're going to need something like this, you might do well to stash it somewhere before/after your operation in case you're stopped and searched.

Speaking of which - what gives the cops the right to search you?
  • edited June 2011
    I've noticed that when watching cop shows on TV, they search you when they have a "suspicion". Basically, this could involve them socially engineering you into saying something which the cop could claim to arise his suspicions, giving him a reason to search you.

I think you should say as little as possible when apprehended, although you should be truthful as well. If you lie to the cop and he finds out, he'll have a reason to search you.
  • DeadWeightDeadWeight Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    Alright, bought a multitool today. Just a cheapie, but it has everything I need on it until I get around to buying a Leatherman or Gerber.

I generally like to take a set of pliers out with me whenever I go on ops anyway, so the multitool will come in handy. I don't think the cops can pull you up for a multitool?
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited June 2011
    DeadWeight wrote: »
    Alright, bought a multitool today. Just a cheapie, but it has everything I need on it until I get around to buying a Leatherman or Gerber.

I generally like to take a set of pliers out with me whenever I go on ops anyway, so the multitool will come in handy. I don't think the cops can pull you up for a multitool?

Steal that shit bro. This is bad ideas after all.
  • edited June 2011
    Cops can pull you up for anything they want. However, what you say when they do pull you up is what will determine the outcome of the situation. Just stay cool, let them know that you always carry a multi-tool around with you or something. It's not like they can really be used an offensive weapon and the blade on them is very small so I think you're legal and safe. Keep it in your bag and you should be fine.

I'm not really familiar with US law though so I could be wrong. Also, if you're caught breaking into somewhere with the multi-tool then you're fucked :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    All I'm saying is I know a member here who was pulled over while driving, no DUI or whatever but the Cops searched him anyway. He was doing a private plumbing job and had a screwdriver and small penknife on him as well as plumbing tools.

Here in the UK, he was given a Criminal Record for that as he had no legal plumbing docs on him.
    If he sees this and there is a factual error..oh no, wait. Seeing him tomorrow. Will ask. But that's the story he has told me.
  • edited June 2011
    If you're carrying something which can be classed as an offensive weapon in your car in the UK, it has to be out of the way in the very back of the car. You're not allowed to keep it in the doorwell or anything like that. Your friend should have been taken back to the station for further checks I think. You can't just assume that someone's not a plumber just because they don't have their documents on them :facepalm:
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited June 2011
    If you have to use cutters to get in somewhere make sure to make the cut, go away for a while and get rid of the tools.

Never bring the tools into a site if it can be avoided, without them you can always claim you simply found a hole in the fence or "there was no lock on the door".

Personaly i dont carry tools as iam more into UE then "night ops"

"take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints"

And i dont like leaving alot of footprints either.
  • edited June 2011
    Fuck leaving footprints, that always bugs me after walking through a damp/muddy patch of ground. I always make sure to pick the grassy route or avoid the mud in some way before hitting concrete.

Footprints are like fingerprints and can identify you to crime scenes or trespassing.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited June 2011
    I've always been of the mind that one should carry what they need as much as possible without hindering them in any way. The number one priority is to not be seen so your gear should not hinder that. Also, in rebuttal to the idea that you shouldn't carry anything incriminating, it seems that it's mostly the guys who try to go inconspicuous who get caught. Not only does everyone else blend in better or have the equipment to get out of more situations, but they're in the right mindset to evade when necessary. Preparing to get caught is already losing half the battle mentally. Night ops proper is [was] about never being seen at all costs and that's what makes it such a rush. Furthermore, what does it matter how inconspicuous you look when you're somewhere nobody is supposed to be at night? Most security guards aren't going to overlook you because you're not wearing camo and strapped with kit. You're still trespassing.

I don't know, just my thoughts on the matter. Sometimes it's not possible to do it that way, that's fine. It happens. But that doesn't mean you just step it down to ordinary trespassing and B&E then call it a night op. Apologies for reappearing with such a douche-bag post, but it needed said.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited June 2011
    A knife, vice grips, and this: http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103216847

That fucker can cut through quarter inch cable.
  • edited June 2011
    For b&e, I bring whatever I know I'll need. There's no standard set of tools.