Learning to Cook

edited June 2011 in Life
Basically, I can't cook to save my life. If I have to eat ready meals all week then so be it, but it's really starting to bug me. I need to start learning how to cook proper meals so that I can actually eat well (and eat something which doesn't taste like the plastic packaging it came in).

So, chefs of Totse - where should I start? Give me a list of good foods to start learning how to make, some fundamental shit I should work on, and any other tips you want to throw my way.

Help!

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Step one; Buy a book called "The Joy of Cooking", it is and has been for 7 decades the bible of home cooking. The updated version is sometimes split into two parts, cooking and baking, but if you can find the complete edition, buy it. It is easy to find in used book stores, available in libraries, and might even be available as an E book.

This is step one because most recipes assume some level of cooking knowledge, terms like 'chop', 'dice', 'mince', saute' and 'roast' are used in recipe's without any explanation as to what they really mean. For example; 'Medium dice a mire poix of celery, white onion, and carrot, an saute for 6 minutes until the onions are lightly brown'. Unless you know what that means, the recipe might as well be written in Greek. Once you buy TJC, you can use the index to look up the terms, read what the method really means.

Read the method parts of the book, make some sticky tags on the pages that have important info.

Step 2; Start cooking, if your parents are up to it, why don't you suggest that you cook one night a week, this will give you a week to plan, buy, and do some preparation. Speaking of preparation, learn to love the 5 'P's of cooking: Proper Prep Prevents Poor Production. This means having everything ready before you turn on the stove. Read the recipe(s) for what you want to make, completely, look up the terms used, get a plan of attack in order right down to a timetable of when each dish should start cooking.

Learning to cook like this is harder than doing recipes that depend on pre made ingredients, but you will learn the methods, not just the recipes. Once you understand a method, you can apply it in many different situations. This is not to say that there is something wrong with easy food, I eat plenty of Hamburger Helper too, but learning some basic cooking principals will help you save a lot of money, and impress the hell out of anyone who appreciates good food. And lets not forget the sex, maybe not so much applicable at your age, but if you cook a woman breakfast, that one timer with a chick that was way out of your league can turn into a weekend, maybe two or three.

For quick meals that use premade stuff, start with something simple, like spaghetti using canned sauce. The difference between a good spaghetti dinner and a poor one is the effort it takes to add some goodies like ground beef, mushrooms, and onions to the sauce, and using good quality pasta, properly cooked.

A good first project would be something like; Roast chicken, boiled baby red potatoes with butter and chives, steamed cauliflower, and chocolate mousse for desert (I did a method for chocolate mousse here, it is easy to follow)

I am glad you have some interest in cooking, don't learn too much though, people who don't know how to cook eat in restaurants, and if everyone was a great cook I would be out of work. There is no easy way to learn to cook, same as anything worthwhile, but just like anything else, if you put in the effort, it will happen.

If you need help with anything specific, PM me, I will be happy to help.

C/O
    "take a bong hit, say 'culinaryoverlord' 3 times while looking at a cabbage, I will appear."
  • edited June 2011
    Interesting. I never really considered getting a book on cooking but I will have a look for an Ebook version of the one you talked about. If not, I'm sure I can find it somewhere :thumbsup: Can I read about anything like this on the internet as well? I'm sure there must be some good cooking websites around with a bunch of information, right?

I've already started getting used to cooking meals, but I've started with some really basic shitty things which I guess can be classed as "something quick". To people who can actually cook, I suppose you'd call them "meals which you cook when you can't be bothered to cook something". I feel like this is a little too basic though so I'll probably get straight into a real recipe soon, as we have plenty of recipe books which I can have a look at.

I like the idea of preparing everything before starting too. I like to be organized and I often feel overwhelmed if I don't have everything set out or ready to go before I do anything - not just cooking. I'll remember those P's :)

Thanks for your help so far, and I have a feeling that I'll be coming back to this area of the forum for some more help.
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited June 2011
    Buy a cookbook, read through it once and note down any terms you're even slightly unsure of. Look it up on the internet. Then follow the instructions. Even simple stuff like "simmer" are not as they appear.
  • lampylampy Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    I'd say just look at a few cooking blogs, cookingforengineers is really good, so is seriouseats. They have some basic stuff. Stir frys and fried rice are good starting points because you can make them with just about anything. I say get your hands dirty and figure it out as you go, pick a recipe and figure it out. Ultimately eat what tastes good.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited June 2011
    fuck books and reading.

The great chefs from the old days didnt rely on books.

go buy you a cut of meat. Use some season on it any kind you like.

and go from there.

you're welcome ;)