traceing who owns a site.

LysdexicLysdexic Regular
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
I need to be quick since its the end of a shift and my phones allmost dead so will try and add more info later.

Is there any way to find out who owns a site, or the rights to it. And even more so where its based, not just hosted but where the owner is based. Can I do this if the site is no longer active?

And along the same lines, if some body runs a site, can they trace where traffic is coming from? If so how accurate is it? Country, city, town, suburb?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Lysdexic wrote: »
    I need to be quick since its the end of a shift and my phones allmost dead so will try and add more info later.

Is there any way to find out who owns a site, or the rights to it. And even more so where its based, not just hosted but where the owner is based.
    You can run a 'who is' search, but that's hardly a guarantee since many people set their shit so it's private. If you're lucky you can get their phone number, full name and address.

Looks like this: http://who.is/whois/totse.info/
    Can I do this if the site is no longer active?
    Dunno. Maybe.
    And along the same lines, if some body runs a site, can they trace where traffic is coming from? If so how accurate is it? Country, city, town, suburb?

Cheers guys.

Visiting IPs can be seen, and can be used to determine location within a 35km radius (or so I've read).
  • edited June 2011
    Whois is your best bet. If they're not careful enough, they will have disclosed all their information (kinda like what Hellish did when this place was first put online :facepalm:) If not, try Googling the IP address of the webserver or something.

As for tracing IP addresses, it varies. It's never accurate though, only down to a radius as mentioned above.