And then I realized I looked like shit.

edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I have been under a bit of stress lately, and have not been paying as much attention as I should to my appearance. I got the reality check yesterday on the bus, I was sitting beside some derelict, and when I looked at our reflection in the black plexiglass behind the driver, I realized I had gotten well below the line. Fuck, the guy probably sat beside me because I looked like him.

I ran out of conditioner last week and my hair had a halo of frizz around it, my facial hair was showing the results of 3 days of neglect as well. I was wearing my work pants as I had gotten up late, and there was a big smear of some kind of sauce down one leg. My right shoe was held together with duct tape, it had come apart during the week and I was waiting for today to buy a new pair. My shirt had seen better days, and the coat I was wearing was a cheap ass number I had bought at a second hand store because it got cold and rainy unexpectedly on a venture a couple of months ago.

I had massive dark circles under my eyes because we just switched to 10 hour shifts at work, and the schedule change meant I was getting up 4 hour's earlier. I hit the pipe a couple of times last week too, and that sure as shit didn't help. All in all, I looked like I just crept out of some dark corner, and was on my way to score.

Balls, balls, balls, I am glad I got the memo though, and steps are being taken to make sure I am fit for public consumption. New shoes, as much of a new wardrobe as I could afford, and some personal grooming products. No hard drugs for a while, and totse time ends 3 hours after I get home.

So has anyone else had a 'rude awakening' like this? A moment when you realized it was time to get your shit together appearance wise, brought on by the sudden revelation; "holy fuck, is that me?, I look like shit!"

C/O
"and not a nice neat firm shit either, a lumpy, bowl spattering, meatballs and gravy affair"

Comments

• ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited June 2011
    Vanity is one of the 7 deadly sins, you know???

Clothing alone won't fix your situation. Whatever got you into the shit-stained mess you've become will still be there. People will see it in your face, even if it has been freshly shaved.

Figure out why you haven't been taking care of yourself and fix it. You don't need $100 shoes to feel like a million bucks...

P.S. - I'm high as fuck right now so I hope this makes sense and/or helps.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited June 2011
    OP is a faggot
  • edited June 2011
    Chupalo wrote: »
    Vanity is one of the 7 deadly sins, you know???

Clothing alone won't fix your situation. Whatever got you into the shit-stained mess you've become will still be there. People will see it in your face, even if it has been freshly shaved.

Figure out why you haven't been taking care of yourself and fix it. You don't need $100 shoes to feel like a million bucks...

P.S. - I'm high as fuck right now so I hope this makes sense and/or helps.

True, but even if I feel like crap, and have problems, it's no excuse to go out looking like a bum. The outer will eventually express the inner, but some new duds and a re-commitment to keeping up appearances will help while I sort out the deeper issues.
    Pacino wrote: »
    OP is a faggot

Pacino; I know it is hard for you to accept what you saw when you came home last Sunday, your mother was a little drunk, and I'm sorry I let her dress me up in your clothes, if it makes you feel better, I was quite chafed the next day. I hope you will still let me take you to visit your dad in the "hospital", next friday. I am also sorry I stole your meth, I will replace it.

C/O
    "The Pacino story; or, 'one too few abortions'"
  • blink182blink182 Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    I realized when I was 8 that I always look like shit so I never have to worry about showering or washing my hands after I shit. It's pretty cool not having to deal with the whole hygienic shit