Biscuit tin smoker [Published]

LysdexicLysdexic Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
This idea was shamelessly taken from Jamie "pukka tukka" Oliver.

As a kid when we went fishing we would allways catch a few kawai (sea trout) on our way back in for the smoker. Smoking just adds that great flavor you can't find any place else.
Since I now live no where near the coast and have no ready access to large amounts of fish for cheap (or any other smoke able meats) I didn't want to spend around £50 for a store brought one, so I stole this idea from a TV show and thought that somebody else might like to know.

First up you need a tin of some sorts with a lid. I used a quality street tin that I had in the cupbord, the fact it was a good fit on the cooker was a bonus.
IMG20110627_003.jpg

I stabbed a few holes in the lid to allow the air to circluate, then wacked in on the burner to take off any paint to prevent the food being tainted.

Once that was done I lined the bottom with wood chips (applewood, from the BBQ section of the super market for this time, but I read that mostly all wood chips are good apart from pine.) On top of that I placed a couple of layers of tin foil to stop my fish getting wood on it.

Once the fish was trimmed and in, I chucked the lid on and put it on the BBQ for about 15 minutes. Checking it every so often.
IMG20110627_005.jpg
After checking it was done I took the fish out and served it up.
IMG20110627_006.jpg

The tin foil was to fishy to reuse, but the chips are good for another use.

The end.

I didn't plan to make a quide on this, but it worked well so I decided to share it, I will take some more photos to fill in the steps sometime soon.

Comments

• RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited June 2011
    I will definitely have to try this out. I have a full smoker now, but i'll probably be moving soon, losing access to it. Plus, this looks way more simplistic than the big bastard i've been using.

thanks, man.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    If you don't have a BBQ to place it on and without the hassle of starting a fire. Another alternative is to use a sardine can. (or any can cut down to about the height of a sardine can) Raise the smoker off the ground twice the height of the can. Put some methylated spirits in the can, light it, slide it under, wait, profit.
    They sell larger smokers that have 2 metal cups (much smaller diameter than a sardine can) & they do a reasonable job.

Mang! I've made smokers out of 44g drums, fridges, hot water cylinder casings even stainless sheet. But this is the most compact efficient one yet I've heard of. :cool:

Thanks for the guide Lysdexic. :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2011
    Nice guide!, thanks mang!
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    They sell larger smokers that have 2 metal cups (much smaller diameter than a sardine can) & they do a reasonable job.

I have used those small smokers before and they work well. Smoked fish is fucking awesome.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2011
    I have used those small smokers before and they work well. Smoked fish is fucking awesome.
    Use to carry one on the boat. Jump off on a random island for lunch, clean a couple of fish, rub in brown sugar, salt, fill up the cups with meths, light, 30minutes or so ..... profit. :thumbsup:
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2011
    Taken from: Oral Indulgences