Meeting New People Over Facebook

Gary OakGary Oak Regular
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I know most of you don't agree with Facebook's policies, but I just moved to a different state, and I don't know anybody. The town I ended up moving to is pretty small with no recognizable places to meet new folks. So I've decided to screen people through Facebook. I don't think it a bad idea really. I could find people who like all the same shit I like. Plus I could just deny all the people who end up being fags.

Comments

• TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd be a little sketched out if some random guy on facebook started trying to get to know me.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    I doubt you'll make any new friends on FB that way. It sounds creepy.

your best bet is to go into the busiest street in town and hang out in the busiest stores and do it often. Eventually through sheer brute-force you'll make a friend.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited June 2011
    Or you could go to bars or churches depending on what kind of friends you want to make.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited June 2011
    meetup.com
  • edited June 2011
    If you want to use Facebook, you should at least meet up with the person FIRST. Go and find them IRL, then add them on Facebook and begin to really strengthen the relationship.

Or, you could... Fuck Facebook? ;)
  • echo4818echo4818 Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    Or you could go to bars or churches depending on what kind of friends you want to make.

This
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2011
    I wonder how people made new friends in new places before the internet?
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Hmm, Im not sure about that idea. Its easier to make friends face to face, and you have more of an idea if they are genuine or not. Although saying that I did meet 2 people in my school who I talked through Facebook before meeting face to face.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited June 2011
    Getting to know people in small towns actually works best when you talk to them randomly in town, not online.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited June 2011
    people are weird

fuck people
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited June 2011
    I wonder how people made new friends in new places before the internet?

I lol'ed at this good one
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, that sounds creepy as hell. Get involved with the local sports team/ martial arts club /knitting circle/ anyhobbygroupyouarevaguelyinterestedin and go from there. Or throw a bbq and invite your near neighbours. Or start hitting up the lonely hearts ads in the local paper that are looking for "friendship". If you moved to a job - ask your workmates out. If not, get a bar job for a couple of nights a week. Or sit in the corner of a bar looking mysterious.

In fact pretty much anything is better than facebook cold calling.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited June 2011
    Why do you need to find new people?
  • edited June 2011
    I've never gotten to know anybody through FB, only added or added by people who I've met IRL....
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    I've met some of my best mates here on &T.
    I've realised most of my mates were total cocks on Facebook.

Says a lot really. If a site is all about showing who you REALLY are (ie: Facebook) then be prepared for someone to abuse that and fuck you over. Watch a film called "Catfish".
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh, I seen that shit.