&T Island

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited July 2011 in Life
Right, I just found this forum while looking for tips and ideas on Island colonies. It seems that the interest has remained in these mysterious, remote places. Many people long for an alternative reality, where they can live in what they perceive and dream to be paradise. The ride is not easy, I', sure. Having to construct and maintain an island with water and food, as well as shelter and transport if ever you want to have a long-term plan. Also, alternative power to Fossil Fuels would be used with the abundance of sunshine and sea breezes.

I propose at least theoretically at this moment, we look at Islands. Here are some I have found and will explain why I think they are suitable. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please say. Why live on an island where you aren't going to be comfortable?
12039_06EagleRayCaye01gr.jpg
Choice 1. Belize coast, 26 acres, $1,490,000.
12104_3bCaldwellIsland1gr.jpg
Choice 2. Port Clyde, Maine. 107 acres. $4,900,000.
465.jpg
Choice 3. Horseshoe Caye, Belize. 33 acres, $750,000.
1712.jpg
Choice 4. Little Channel Caye, Caribbean. $350,000
11681_10kudadhoo04gr.jpg
Choice 5. Kukdadhoo, Lhaviyani Atoll, Maldives area. 7 acres. £3,000,000.

So now you have seen the list and maybe found your own, we need to think of independence.
How are we going to make this into a &ToTSE Nation? There are ways you can declare your own Country as some eccentrics have done within their host Nation, however we need to buy/commandeer an island and declare independence to allow for &T to flourish.
Guides can be found here and here. Please give some input in. Would you prefer to take the Island by force or legally buy? Do bear in mind that munitions will cost as will prolonged defence against a pissed off, militarily superior Governmental force.

In order to declare our Island as sovereign we need a Government of our own. No matter how incompetent or far removed from the status quo, it has to conform to the rights demanded by the host Nation of the Island.

We then need to:
  • Pick an Island. Feel more than free to suggest one and plans on how to invade in necessary.
  • Form a potential Government or Council to take lead of the Island and to get rights off the host Nation.
  • Shelter.
  • Water source or the ability to build a filtration system.
  • Skilled builders, farmers/horticulturalists, hunters and the effort to help.
  • Militia. Well armed to keep away dark-skinned people.
  • Currency or barter system.

If anyone wants to get the ball rolling, then please do so. I'll come back to this after a think. I'm hypothetically serious. This would be awesome had we the time and money. Who knows. The plans can always be shelved until needed.

Comments

• jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited June 2011
    You're right, it would be awesome. I say we just go ahead and buy it because it can't be paradise with an army trying to blow you up, right? So lets go for one of the cheaper ones. It doesn't have to be a nice place because we'll all be so fucked up on various drugs that it will seem nice.

The government will end up being interesting to say the least. Who will be the police chief? Also I'm very high right now.
  • edited June 2011
    LOL
    seeing threads like this makes me want to make a thread about my impending marriage to Ke$ha.
    That is to say, I'm a pretty tuff dude who probably could use my tuffness to attract kay money but realistic enough to accept that certain things, no matter how great they would be, will never happen in real life, which plays by different rules than t3h innernets. In other words, OP is writing a bigger fairy tale then the three little pigs.

You guys have fun jerkin' it to land masses you can't and never will afford though!
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited June 2011
    LOL
    seeing threads like this makes me want to make a thread about my impending marriage to Ke$ha.
    That is to say, I'm a pretty tuff dude who probably could use my tuffness to attract kay money but realistic enough to accept that certain things, no matter how great they would be, will never happen in real life, which plays by different rules than t3h innernets. In other words, OP is writing a bigger fairy tale then the three little pigs.

You guys have fun jerkin' it to land masses you can't and never will afford though!

I love you! QFT
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    The best way to generate electricity would the the waves.

That, or i'll chain all the men up to a turbine and make you push.

The women will be busy...
  • edited June 2011
    We could declare war on McSkulvins island! Wouldn't it be funny as hell if some random totsean won a huge lotto and did it?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Totse Bible (Etc)
    Hmm, I am out of ideas but I would love contacting the sales rep and asking for some islands.

HEHehe
  • edited June 2011
    If anyone wins the lottery or has the finances to get this going, that would be awesome. Buy the island, set up some renewable energy sources to save some money in the long run, etc. Man, it would be hilarious to live on a Totse island.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited June 2011
    There's countries in the pacific that only have like 20 cops as protection. I say we invade one of them and spend all the money we saved on extra drugs.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    There are way too many problems with this. Remember "The Beach" was just a movie. Main problem is the size of the island you would need to be able to have fertile soil to grow food and such and not just all sand would likely be cost prohibitive.

Not all islands have bananas and coconuts growing everywhere either.

Best way of trying to make this work though...

First use google earth to find a nice un-inhabited island far away from others, but not too far. Likely north of Australia. You can get high enough res to be able to identify some trees and stuff.

Next, buy a small sail boat. You can get a 30' Catalina, in fair condition, for $2-5k if you shop around.

Get some friends, and supplies.

Sail to your island and enjoy.

A suggestion though...

Do not try and make it your own nation, the parent country might tolerate you living there if you don't fuck it up too badly, but if you try taking the land, you'll likely have a problem. Google and read about Minerva and Tonga. Bad news.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    There are way too many problems with this. Remember "The Beach" was just a movie. Main problem is the size of the island you would need to be able to have fertile soil to grow food and such and not just all sand would likely be cost prohibitive.

Not all islands have bananas and coconuts growing everywhere either.

Best way of trying to make this work though...

First use google earth to find a nice un-inhabited island far away from others, but not too far. Likely north of Australia. You can get high enough res to be able to identify some trees and stuff.

Next, buy a small sail boat. You can get a 30' Catalina, in fair condition, for $2-5k if you shop around.

Get some friends, and supplies.

Sail to your island and enjoy.

A suggestion though...

Do not try and make it your own nation, the parent country might tolerate you living there if you don't fuck it up too badly, but if you try taking the land, you'll likely have a problem. Google and read about Minerva and Tonga. Bad news.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    While exposed to colonial pressures, Tonga has never lost indigenous governance, a fact that makes Tonga unique in the Pacific and gives Tongans much pride, as well as confidence in their monarchical system. As part of cost cutting measures across the British Foreign Service, the British Government closed the British High Commission in Nukuʻalofa in March 2006, transferring representation of British interests in Tonga to the UK High Commissioner in Fiji. The last resident British High Commissioner was Paul Nessling.[10]
    Tonga is also the only island nation in the region to have avoided formal colonisation.[6] In 2010, Tonga took a decisive step towards becoming a fully functioning constitutional monarchy after legislative reforms paved the way for its first ever fully representative elections which resulted in the election of Noble Sialeʻataongo Tuʻivakanō as its first democratically elected Prime Minister.
    :confused:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    The Republic of Minerva was one of the few modern attempts at creating a sovereign micronation on the reclaimed land of an artificial island in 1972. The architect was Las Vegas real estate millionaire and political activist Michael Oliver, who went on to other similar attempts in the following decade. Lithuanian-born Oliver formed a syndicate, the Ocean Life Research Foundation, which allegedly had some $100,000,000 for the project and had offices in New York and London. They anticipated a libertarian society with "no taxation, welfare, subsidies, or any form of economic interventionism." In addition to tourism and fishing, the economy of the new nation would include light industry and other commerce. According to Glen Raphael, "The chief reason that the Minerva project failed was that the libertarians who were involved did not want to fight for their territory."[1] According to Reason, Minerva has been "more or less reclaimed by the sea".[2] The site chosen for the Republic was the Minerva Reefs in the Pacific Ocean.

The declaration of independence, however, was greeted with great suspicion by other countries in the area. A conference of the neighboring states (Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Nauru, Western Samoa, Cook Islands) met on 24 February 1972 at which Tonga made a claim over the Minerva Reefs.

A Tongan expedition was sent to enforce the claim. The Republic of Minerva flag was lowered. Tonga’s claim was recognized by the South Pacific Forum in September 1972. Meanwhile, Provisional President Davis was fired by founder Michael Oliver and the project collapsed in confusion. Nevertheless, Minerva was referred to in O. T. Nelson's post-apocalyptic children's novel The Girl Who Owned a City, published in 1975, as an example of an invented utopia that the book's protagonists could try to emulate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Minerva

Just saying, be careful where you chose to do it. Might end up with a few dozen Tongan Marines helping you move.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited July 2011
    Dfg's place is probably worth about $500 lets buy it and kick the paki out on the street
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    buddha wrote: »

Just saying, be careful where you chose to do it. Might end up with a few dozen Tongan Marines helping you move.

Tongans are to fat and lazy to go and do anything, besides if we managed to kill off the Tongans somehow we could take over Tonga and turn it into out totse nation. It would be perfect, it has roads, water and electricity and if we poisoned the water supply it would be an easy takeover.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011

Thanks, I could not find anything on Minerva.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    I sense a double post: BUDDHA?!

I have no idea what you are talking about ;)
    Tongans are to fat and lazy to go and do anything, besides if we managed to kill off the Tongans somehow we could take over Tonga and turn it into out totse nation. It would be perfect, it has roads, water and electricity and if we poisoned the water supply it would be an easy takeover.

Think so?

220627_royaltonganmarines2004.jpg

They were also trained by the US, and fought under us in Irag and shit. Just fyi.
    Thanks, I could not find anything on Minerva.

Try searching "Principality of..."
  • edited July 2011
    220627_royaltonganmarines2004.jpg

They were also trained by the US, and fought under us in Irag and shit. Just fyi.

lmfao
    fucking fatbodies
    if they tried to invade an island they'd sink it

@OP:
    What a vivid imagination. :rolleyes:
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2011

They were also trained by the US

And your point is ...
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    We could probably just buy out an African nation that has a corrupt government :P