Picking a .22/higher caliber combo

SWIMSWIM Semo-Regulars
edited July 2011 in Man Cave
I'm planning on picking up some new toys soon and I'm in the market for an assault type rifle just to have some fun with. I also want a .22 for cheap shooting reasons that will have the same look and feel of it's big brother. Here are some options I have found, help me decide:

AK47/Krinker Plinker 10/22 conversion.

I have read mixed reviews of the Krinker Plinker conversion. This is probably at the bottom of the list as far as what I'm interested in getting although the price of both can't be beat and I'm on a college budget.

AR15/ dedicated .22 AR rifle

This is what I'm leaning towards the most. Buying a parts kit and putting it together myself will keep the cost down. I don't like direct impingement, however, so I would likely put a piston conversion on the AR15. Anyone know of any piston uppers that are cheap? Some of them can get crazy expensive.

Sig 556/ Sig 522

The reviews for the Sig 522 are great. The only thing is that the 556 at $1000+ is not so great. I would have to wait a while longer to afford that price tag. I'm sure the quality is worth the price not to mention it is a piston rifle already so it likely wouldn't be too much more than the AR15 after the conversion.

MP5 or HK94 clone/ GSG .22

I have heard a lot of MP5 clones are pretty questionable in quality. The good ones are expensive as well. I would rather have a rifle caliber gun but I figured I'd throw this in just to see if anyone had any input on it.

Anywho, any help/experience with these would help me in making the decision so help me out!

Comments

• savages_vipersavages_viper Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    get the ar and a cmgi conversion kit and call it a day
  • edited July 2011
    SWIM wrote: »
    I'm planning on picking up some new toys soon and I'm in the market for an assault type rifle just to have some fun with. I also want a .22 for cheap shooting reasons that will have the same look and feel of it's big brother. Here are some options I have found, help me decide:

AK47/Krinker Plinker 10/22 conversion.

I have read mixed reviews of the Krinker Plinker conversion. This is probably at the bottom of the list as far as what I'm interested in getting although the price of both can't be beat and I'm on a college budget.

AR15/ dedicated .22 AR rifle

This is what I'm leaning towards the most. Buying a parts kit and putting it together myself will keep the cost down. I don't like direct impingement, however, so I would likely put a piston conversion on the AR15. Anyone know of any piston uppers that are cheap? Some of them can get crazy expensive.

Sig 556/ Sig 522

The reviews for the Sig 522 are great. The only thing is that the 556 at $1000+ is not so great. I would have to wait a while longer to afford that price tag. I'm sure the quality is worth the price not to mention it is a piston rifle already so it likely wouldn't be too much more than the AR15 after the conversion.

MP5 or HK94 clone/ GSG .22

I have heard a lot of MP5 clones are pretty questionable in quality. The good ones are expensive as well. I would rather have a rifle caliber gun but I figured I'd throw this in just to see if anyone had any input on it.

Anywho, any help/experience with these would help me in making the decision so help me out!
    Get the H&K brand MP5
    or rather don't because you'll get reamed buying the HK94

How about you get a 10/22 and an AR like a normal fucking person who doesn't waste their money on bullshit like the krinker plinker or those AR-22 POSs.