San Francisco considers ban on sale of all pets, including fish

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This is you get when you let the left run things. :facepalm: It is not good enough for these type of people to simply say, "I don't believe in owning animals as pets so I am not going to own one". No, they have to trample everyone's rights in order to make everyone behave as they do.
San Francisco's Animal Control Commission is recommending that the city ban the sale of all pets, including fish, largely to fight a glut of abandoned animals at shelters and rescue centers, the Los Angeles Times reports.

The ban, if adopted, would include any pet-- from dachshund to gerbil to reptiles. The only live animals that could be sold are those intended for eventual human consumption, such as live fish and poultry.

Animals advocates argue that pets stores entice kids to buy pets that are later abandoned and end up at overcrowded animal shelters.

But the Times quotes one pet store owner, Jonathan Ito, as saying they do not promote impusle buys and in fact work hard to educate prospective pet owners.

"The animal-rights activists are trying to drive a wedge any way they can in order to get a foothold on changing the ownership of animals," Ito tells the newspaper. "They don't believe they should be bred. They don't believe people are responsible to care for them. … They are about eliminating animals as pets."
Source

Comments

• jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited July 2011
    I think that's more to fight against things like puppy mills and shitty pet stores. The animal shelters are full of pets that need homes, so why buy them anyway? There are full bred dogs in shelters all the time. You'd be surprised.

This Jonathan Ito guy in the article is just butthurt.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    It is a restriction of free enterprise and the choice to purchase an animal with breeding and some guarantees vs wysiwyg "sold as is" mutts from the pound.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited July 2011
    Yea, I should be able to buy a fucking giraffe or a hippo or a 13 year old sex slave if I want to. Fucking free enterprise man.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited July 2011
    I heard that petco will be having a huge cookout if this bill passes :thumbsup: