Get free electricity [Published]

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited July 2011 in Life
Warning: By doing this you risk killing yourself, being caught by the power company or burning your house down. Totse.info is not responsible if you use this information to break any laws. it is purely for educational purposes only.

In this guide i will show you how to get free electricity.

First ensure that you don't put everything in your house on the new circuit because it looks suspicious when the power company finds you haven't used any electricity all month in the middle of winter and your heating and lights are on when they check the meter :facepalm:

Anyway firstly you will need to locate your meter panel, it may look something like this

SAM_0423.jpg

As you can see in this instance there are three meters. It is like this as it is a three phase installation. Being in NZ this allows for 230/400 volt service. in my case it's because i have a three phase well pump for my water supply. This guide will show you how to bypass the meter altogether not how to modify the meter.

Here in NZ ( and likely most other countries) the main switch is connected before the meter so they can be disconnected without removing the supply fuse at the power pole.

SAM_0420.jpg

In some cases the main switch is tagged like the meter so it cannot be opened without the power company knowing it was tampered with. this is normally done with a metal or plastic tag threaded through a hole in the screw holding the cover on or a tamper resistant sticker which cannot be removed without damaging it. if your switch is like this then this guide isn't for you.

Firstly remove the screws that hold the cover on so you can get at the wiring in the panel. then remove the screws on the switch after first switching it off. Beware that the terminals on one side of the switch are still live so don't touch them or you will receive a shock or be electrocuted. Here there is 415 v between each terminal and 230 v between each terminal and ground. This can kill you so be extremely careful.

SAM_0428.jpg

Next disconnect any circuit you don't want metered from the supply making sure you disconnect the supply side from the fuse/breaker and not the output side as you will want the breaker to protect the circuit from a fault. secondly take a piece of insulated wire and insert it into the terminal in the mains switch ensuring its connected between the meter and switch and not the supply side so you can disconnect power using the main switch. In the picture below the red/yellow/blue wires come from the supply and enter the top terminals of the switch. You will want to connect your wire to the bottom terminals in the switch. these terminals are what connect to the input side of the meters.

SAM_0426.jpg

In this case the red phase wire is connected to the large blue wire at the bottom middle of the picture, this being the bottom set of terminals.

After connecting place the cover back onto the switch. turn the main switch back on and if everything is done correctly you should now have free electricity on your new circuit. ensure that all covers are put back on correctly so that it doesn't look like anything has been tampered with.

Wiring colors differ between countries so here is a list of the ones i know

NZ/Australia 230/400 v

L1 - Red
L2 - Yellow or White
L3 - Blue
Neutral - Black

US/ Canada 115v

Phase - Black, Red
Neutral - White

Europe 230/400 v

L1 - Brown
L2 - Black
L3 - Grey
Neutral - Blue

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited June 2011
    Fuck it's easy to steal electricity in NZ!

Where I live, the main breaker and the meter are both in a big cupboard which is closed with one of those lead tags / tamper-proof stickers. You can read the meter but not touch it, and you can flip the switch but can't touch any other part of it. On one side the always-live wire from the power company goes in, on the other side an always-metered wire comes out. So the only way to steal electricity (without finding a way to bypass the lead tags / stickers) is to connect to the live wire before the meter cupboard, and - aside from it being quite obvious if tampered with - we all know the dangers of that.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Most modern installations are harder to tamper with, but for most of us we have older equipment installed.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited June 2011
    Taken from: Resistance is Futile
  • echo4818echo4818 Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    please note: if you touch the hot wire there is a good chance you will get your ass killed. Voltages that hot typically will not let you go once you touch it.
    edited July 2011
    echo4818 wrote: »
    Voltages that hot typically will not let you go once you touch it.

You are thinking of high voltage DC. AC doesn't cause the same muscle contractions that DC causes, Therefore you can still let go.
  • edited July 2011
    Why does DC cause muscle contractions, as opposed to AC which doesn't? Also, where would I find DC and AC in my home? (Yeah I really don't know which stuff uses AC or DC)
    edited July 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Why does DC cause muscle contractions, as opposed to AC which doesn't? Also, where would I find DC and AC in my home? (Yeah I really don't know which stuff uses AC or DC)

DC is constant so your muscles lock up, unlike AC which drops to 0 volts every half cycle giving you the chance to let go. AC is what comes out of your wall socket, DC is what comes from batteries or the output of a computer PSU as well as many other places.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    DC is constant so your muscles lock up, unlike AC which drops to 0 volts every half cycle giving you the chance to let go. AC is what comes out of your wall socket, DC is what comes from batteries or the output of a computer PSU as well as many other places.

While 230V single phase will not kill (or in my experience really harm) a healthy person that briefly comes into contact with it - when I have been shocked it has thrown my arm - three phase AC allways gives power. In phase crossovers, it drops to around 80% of max, so 400 / 415V three phase will always be giving out at least 320 / 332v - keep in mind tho, you would have to be in contact with all 3 pairs of wires - not likely to happen unless you are a fucking nugget, but if you take a plug or a machine apart, you are letting yourself in for a constant 320+ volts, which will srsly fuck you day up.

Having said that, my Bro chopped a 21KV power supply to an industrial estate when he was digging a hole for a pole - it was not on the schematic and it was deeper than it should have been so it was not expected to be there. He was luck and the post spade he was using was blown from his hands. On the spade end itself, nearly 2" of tool steel simply evapourated.

I know a few people who have taken the main fuse out in their homes to do work - in the UK they are 40 - 60 amp fuses - and soldered the security device back together when putting the fuse back in.

Edit: Ignore the bit where I said 80% and the low of 320V+ - I think that would only be the case if you had three phase but only touched two wires. Its more than likely a constant 400 /415V. Which would srsly srsly fuck your day.