Does this theme park have a legal leg to stand on?

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I guess when your numbers up, the legs of life eventually get kicked out from under you.

Iraq War Vet, Double Amputee Dead in Darien Lake Accident

The victim in a horrific Friday afternoon accident at Darien Lake Theme Park was reportedly an Iraq veteran who had lost both of his legs in the war.

According to Genesee County Sheriff's Sergeant Greg Walker, 29-year-old James Hackemer (above) of Gowanda was a passenger on "The Ride of Steel," formerly "Superman: Ride of Steel," at Darien Lake Theme Park Friday afternoon. He was sitting in the very front seat of the first car on the ride. At about 5:30pm, Hackemer was ejected from the rollercoaster on a hill. The rollercoaster was traveling approximately 50mph at the time of the incident. Hackemer fell an unknown distance and sustained fatal injuries upon impact.

Hackemer had undergone amputations to each of his legs following his service in Iraq: one just above the knee, and the other at his hip. At the time of Friday's accident, he was not wearing prosthetic legs.

"The Ride of Steel" is outfitted with two types of restraints in each seat: a lap bar, and a lap-only seatbelt. There is no shoulder harness and no other type of bodily restraint built into the ride. Sergeant Walker would not comment on whether the types of restraints, combined with Hackemer's amputations, had led to the ride accident.

Deputies Friday evening said that Hackemer was attending the park with his children and several sisters. He was sitting with one of those family members in the front of the ride when he was ejected. The other family member was not injured, nor were any of the other riders on "The Ride of Steel." The ride was immediately shut down and will remain so for an undisclosed amount of time.

http://www.wbta1490.com/LocalNews/tabid/115/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/1294/Iraq-War-Vet-Double-Amputee-Dead-in-Darien-Lake-Accident.aspx

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2011
    Sergeant Greg Walker

lulz
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    The cop's last name is Walker, not the disabled vet.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited July 2011
    I think this would qualify as a special circumstance. A good lawyer would argue that he shouldn't have been allowed on the ride due to his amputations and the ride's lack of shoulder harnesses. Kind of like how they can't let little kids on certain rides.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2011
    burroughs wrote: »
    I've worked at 2 theme parks. I'm pretty sure you offer implied consent to their terms of service listed on the back of that ticket you never look that. Which, probably includes no liability on their part for any injury. I think that only would cover civil cases. I guess it depends on the circumstances, though. It's different if they weren't up to date on safety regulations.
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]They normally stipulate a height restriction though ..... Don't they? (I wouldn't know. :() Or would it come under another criteria? [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]What are the rules for amusement rides anyways? :confused:[/COLOR]
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    They normally stipulate a height restriction though ..... Don't they?

I doubt he would have met said restrictions with no legs.
  • edited July 2011
    How fucking stupid is this guy
    He loses his legs and decides the appropriate course of action is to get on a roller coaster with restraints that were rendered ineffective because of his amputations
    I support our troops as much as the next guy, but that doesn't mean I coddle our retards too
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited July 2011
    wtf is he doing on a roller coaster with no legs??? Where was the voice of reason? I don't get it ... seems like a lot of grey area here but it raises a lot of questions for me. I've got a paraplegic cousin, so if she wanted to ride a roller coaster could she? I mean I just think that option goes out the window esp. if he wasnt wearing his prosthetics. I've been to many carnivals with her and if i ever thought she could ride with me on something. fuck we would have.