Blue Screen of Death Survival Guide

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) is one of the most frustrating errors to fix for any newbie. But thanks people at maximumpc.com fixing these errors is as simple as 1,2,3. (not really ;))

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/blue_screen_survival_guide?page=0%2C0

Read the whole guide, it will be worth it.

Here are the common BSOD screens explained according to the article:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0000000A):
Check your drives, sound/video or any new driver. Remove old drivers if the video card is upgraded or reinstall drivers.

DATA_BUS_ERROR (0x0000002E):
Check your RAMS, do a RAM test.

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM or FAT_FILE_SYSTEM (0x00000024 or 0x00000023):
Check your Hard Disk, Cables, power connectors should be checked. Also run a disk check. For SATA check the drivers of the controllers.

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (0x0000007F):
Reset the CPU/GPU clocks if overclocked, Processor,RAM,Motherboard and BIOS should be checked.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
:
Faulty hardware, including RAM (system, video, or L2 cache).

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE:
Caused by improperly configured jumpers on PATA hard drives, a boot sector virus, or incorrect IDE controller drives, which can also occur when installing the wrong chipset drivers.

VIDEO_DRIVER_INIT_FAILURE:
Caused by installing the wrong drivers for a videocard or rebooting before driver installation could complete.

BAD_POOL_CALLER:
Caused by a faulty or incompatible hardware driver, particularly when upgrading Windows XP instead of performing a clean install.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT:
Caused by faulty RAM.

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION:
A bad CPU -- or one that is too aggressively overclocked, or an underpowered or faulty power supply.

If you have any errors to discuss or add to the list please do it here.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Bumping this, as I don't think it's something which should be lost. Very valuable!

My dad just received a BSOD on his computer, and he didn't know what caused it. I fetched a camera, snapped a shot of his screen and got straight onto this thread.

Turns out it's a driver problem (the first one on the list), which I'll have to go fix now.

Great thread, thanks for this again DFG :D
  • mafiabromafiabro Regular
    edited July 2011
    If you have a multi-core processor and you get errors relating to page faults and cache problems, then chances are one of the cores cannot operate as fast as the other 1/2/3/5. You'll run into it if you overclock it to a point that you thought was stable, as it can still run many overclocking stress tests. Something i figured I'd let you guys know that I've learned through practice.