Diabolus in Musica (Music Forum posting guidelines[read this])

MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
All Ive seen in this forum so far is "check out this band" threads. Not saying those threads are bad, but for the most part, nobody gives a shit what type of music you listen too, and unless the band is extremely unique or popular, then it probably isnt worth a mention.

I would like to see more threads discussing the more technical side of music. So that means, no more:
1) Check out this band
2) Look at how many guitars I own but I cant play them
3) Lets post a lot of bands in a certain genre
...threads

I will not moderate this forum heavily, because you are free to post whatever you like, but just know that your thread wont get much appreciation unless its discussing something more intricate than a single band. I can not offer my professional advice on subjective taste and opinions on music. We each have our own preference, and no one is to say which music is good or bad. Hell, I love slipknot and metallica, but Ive been playing music for well over 14 years and can run circles around most on bass guitar or any classical instrument.

What I would like to see more of is question regarding music theory, how to perform a certain technique on any instrument (slapping on bass, pinch harmonics on guitar, double tonguing on wind instruments), threads discussing music creation programs (preferably how-tos), in depth discussions regarding the history of a certain genre, etc...

Anyways, since this is totse, and totse is the manifestation of all that is evil in this world, I would like to start us off with the discussion of my favorite musical interval. The tritone.

http://www.diabolus.org/explanation/explanation.htm

If youve ever heard it, you would know it is the most sinister sounding interval in music. It can be commonly heard in the diminished chord and the locrian mode of the major scale. Now discuss other common uses of the tritone. Help me learn something.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    When I saw the title I thought you meant the slayer album. Anyway here is a good video on the subject of Diabolus in Musica.

• GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I've just been practicing dominant and diminished sevenths actually. Have a go at them, they sound evil enough! :) I like using tri-tones as high notes, then playing low intervals an octave apart, which sounds really menacing.

I'll be uploading a totse text file soon about how the Music business works (all my notes from college basically).
  • edited July 2011
    I look forward to reading that text file actually, I could do with learning a little more about the way the music business works. It all seems a little mysterious at the moment!
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Aye, its a tad depressing though. All the ways a record company can rip you off is just astonishing :( Even if you are signed, they can just record you album and stick it on a shelf somewhere so that another of their artists (that they want to succeed) does not have the competition.... lots of other stuff as well, I'll crack on with it tomorrow probably.
  • edited July 2011
    SLAYERRRRRRRRRRR

although that album wasn't too awesome.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited August 2011
    Forums are dying homeboy!