What's the best spray paint for graffiti?

edited July 2011 in Man Cave
Throwing up stencils is awesome, but I've noticed that certain types of paint are shit for certain surfaces. For example, you might decide to quickly stencil a structure made of metal, using car paint. Works like a charm, until you decide to tag a brick wall with the same stuff. The tag doesn't seem to last very long at all, eventually coming off altogether after a good period of time.

What's the best type of paint to use when tagging on most materials?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Barbecue paint
    then cure that shit with a propane torch and it will never come off
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure where you are,and the availability of graffiti specific aerosols but imho Belton make the best paint.It seems to be lower pressure,thus much less likely to splooge all over whatever it is your painting a drip into a filthy mess.Ironlak are 'ok' if you're on a budget,Molotow are sort of midrange.

What kind of stuff are you stencilling?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2011
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited June 2011
    Plebert wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you are,and the availability of graffiti specific aerosols but imho Belton make the best paint.It seems to be lower pressure,thus much less likely to splooge all over whatever it is your painting a drip into a filthy mess.Ironlak are 'ok' if you're on a budget,Molotow are sort of midrange.

What kind of stuff are you stencilling?

Why would you spend money on expensive ass paint when your shit is just going to get buffed? All you need are some rusto's, and you don't even need to pay for those.

Pro tip: if you think the pressure is too high cause you're a little girl and can't paint fast enough, turn the can upside down and spray to let some pressure out.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited June 2011
    Why would you spend money on expensive ass paint when your shit is just going to get buffed? All you need are some rusto's, and you don't even need to pay for those.

Pro tip: if you think the pressure is too high cause you're a little girl and can't paint fast enough, turn the can upside down and spray to let some pressure out.

I've never used Rusto's, so I can't comment on their quality buuuuuut the budget paint you pick up in Australia is beyond shit.

Impossible to get even application due to piss-like viscosity.
    aaannnd if you start wasting yo hydrocarbon propellant,then you end up with excess paint in your can.Which is fine,if you're stealing them like a hardcunt.

But if you are paying for them,the dollar extra it costs to buy something decent ends with you saving more money.

I suppose if you are just doing something shitty,then use shitty paint.
    If you're stencil is worth time and effort,especially effort of the multi-layered or hard to buff variety then perhaps $3 for some permanence and reliability is worth it.

Also,quit being a douchebag,It was a contribution,not a dicksizing contest.
    edited June 2011
    This is Totse. Grow a pair.

No matter what you use the bottom line is that it'll get buffed or somebody else will paint over it. So why would you spend your money on paint?
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited June 2011
    Like I said,if your the type to take time and effort in your work,and perhaps know of a spot that doesn't get buffed because it's too hard to reach,then spending $1 extra on some graffiti specific paint is a good investment.Also, not being shit helps with people not writing over your stuff, there is a warped sense of respect where I am from.

In conclusion, If you aren't shit and/or a pussy, it is possible to achieve relative permanence.

I don't know what kind of stuff the OP is painting,that's why I asked.

Totse doesn't excuse character faults.
    edited June 2011
    The places that don't get buffed are the ones that don't get seen. And even MSK get their stuff lined and painted over all the time. Nothing about graffiti is permanent so why would you waste money on ironlak? If you suck with hardware store paint you're going to suck with the stuff that costs $5+
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    If you suck with hardware store paint you're going to suck with the stuff that costs $5+

We are still talking about stencilling here right?

If so,what the fuck?

there is little talent in "can control" if you're painting a stencil,and the quality of the paint holds much more influence over the final product.Why?,because shit paint doesn't dry as quick as it should nor does it have the right viscosity(I swear I've said this before)so no matter how good you are,it still drips.

Also, as I have previously said, If you are doing a multi-layer stencil, you need the paint to dry...so you don't ruin your shit by sploodging paint everywhere when you apply the next layer.Preferably the drying will be quick...I shouldn't need to explain why that is.

The places that don't get buffed are the ones that are hard to reach,in no way is it logical to conclude no one can see them because of this.People are inherently lazy,and can't be fucked climbing a drain pipe just to get up.

You are right in saying that nothing in graffiti is permanent,this is why I said relative permanence.Relative to other works.If you take pride in your work,you'll want it to look good right?

And not like the graffiti equivalent of soggy biscuit?

I get the point you are trying to make, you're just doing a shitty job of making it.
    edited July 2011
    We're talking about graffiti.

I've used dollar paint without drips before. It's called don't hold the can right against the fucking wall and move your arm faster.

So throw up the first layer, leave, and come back when it's dry. Don't stand next to it staring at it while you're waiting for it to dry. And even cheap paint doesn't take long to dry to the point where you can paint over it. By the time you're done doing the fill on a throw-up it's dry enough to paint over.

You're right, they won't climb up the drain pipe. That's why the buff man drives around with a big ladder on his truck.

Either something is permanent, or it's not.

You don't need to spend an arm and a leg on high end paint to have your shit turn out good.

I was taught that you dont spend money on graffiti. You get the paint for free and you make your own ink and mops.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    A)OP is talking about stenciling, hence everything I have said thus far has been about stenciling.

The buff man can only go so many places,a ladder can only reach so far.

An arm and a leg is hardly $1 more per can.But,yes,someone can have good styles without the paint looking good,still shitty paint is shitty paint.Most pieces or throwies are fairly overlooked if the paint hardly stands out against the background because it's shit quality.It's all relative though.
    So throw up the first layer, leave, and come back when it's dry.

Is actually a really good idea for efficient mass stenciling.Smash out X amount of base layer,come back the next night do second layer,come back the next night etc.

Unless you are hitting a particularly precarious and/or irritating spot to reach,in which case I'd still use my Ironlaks.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2011
    rust-oleum-universal.jpg

That shit takes at least a month to fully cure. Seriously, don't use it for anything.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    That shit takes at least a month to fully cure. Seriously, don't use it for anything.

So does automotive and airplane paint, I don't get your point.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    So does automotive and airplane paint, I don't get your point.

Who seriously uses automotive/airplane paint to go stenciling?
  • xbcnfujvxbcnfujv Regular
    edited July 2011
    with skills

thats how
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    In my personal opinion your best bet for stenciling would be some Krylon from Wal-Mart. It's cheap and works pretty well.
  • grindermangrinderman Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    Montana is the bomb, bit expensive and normally in a locked cage if the store isn't run by morons. Belton is supposed to be good too.
    edited July 2011
    Montana is really nice and so is Molotow but my personal favorite for not stenciling is Ironlak. I don't really know why but I just really like it.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    Paco wrote: »
    Montana is really nice and so is Molotow but my personal favorite for not stenciling is Ironlak. I don't really know why but I just really like it.

When Ironlak's were first released they used to have an annoying habit of like, weirdly bubbling up and then dripping. They fixed it after a year or two with some additives and now 'Laks are fucking fantastic for the price you pay.

Good range of colours as well.

Never really got into Montana's, apparently there's two versions or something...and I got the shitty kind that kept malfunctioning.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    montana or mix your own.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    waffles wrote: »
    montana or mix your own.

Mix your own?
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    yes mix your own, buy a refillable can and use one part thinner one part primer 7 parts paint, steel primer (like a pint of flat rustolum)/car paint works the best. mix quite a bit and keep a 20 pound c02 tank and you can paint all night and the spary is much more even.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    Hypothetically, you could refill anything by this method...right?
    Like increase the psi dramatically, fill a scuba tank, spray 20m letters erratically.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    hypothetically it depends on the gas/psi n20 (laughing gas) is at about 7k psi breathing air is at like 2500 psi, you need to use c02 or breathing air for paint. and take your time with c02 it freezes.
    i have been filling tanks for years, i earned from n20, but i really like mixing my own paints, much better colors and better for the planet. cheaper in the long run, a can of montana is about 8 to 13 bucks. a refillable can is around 16 and lasts forever. banksy mixes his own so should you.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    you can use a paint hopper gun and a regulator to do huge peices turn the psi down to like 175 to 250 and bring a 100 foot hose.
    edited July 2011
    When Ironlak's were first released they used to have an annoying habit of like, weirdly bubbling up and then dripping. They fixed it after a year or two with some additives and now 'Laks are fucking fantastic for the price you pay.

Never really got into Montana's, apparently there's two versions or something...and I got the shitty kind that kept malfunctioning.

Yea, Ironlak has to be the best for the price. And if you get the Diamond Packs on BombingScience you get a really good deal.
    edited July 2011

They had a batch with bad valves as well which would leak all over the place.

They old formula was the shit. It was so thick that you could do flairs that would just get fatter and not fuzzy.

Ironlak is the best smelling paint IMO. It's nice and everything, but I'd still perfect a free can of rusto any day.

Also, check out oinkartltd.com for graffiti shit.