Firefox 5, Dare to Try it? [Aurora Channel]

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
I will pass this one, FF4 isn't really doing me wonders. Thanks to extended Memory usage and bitchy browsing when it comes to Totse.info, I am started to hate it more and more. I don't mind the ADs but I am currently using IE9, FF4 and Chrome at the same time. Chrome is better in some cases and IE9 is simpler and faster but FF4 is a fucking gaint and takes way much time.

I might give FF5 a try hoping everything would just work. Gone are the days of FF2.
  • Supports for CSS animations.
  • Supports for Firefox channel switcher.
  • Improved JavaScript, memory and networking performance.
  • Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL and canvas.
  • Improved desktop environment integration for Linux users.

Download Beta

You can give Firefox Aurora Channel a try as well.
Linky

Comments

• CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited June 2011
    Man up and Chrome, bitch
  • edited June 2011
    I think I'll stick with FF4 for now. Actually come to think of it, I'm running FF3 on here as I'm still using the TORbutton extension :D It's totally fine for me, no memory issues and it works well.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Chrome is the way to go :D
  • edited June 2011
    ^ Fuck Chrome, Google harvests information on you and your browsing habits. Prove me wrong!

Instead of Chrome, use SRWare Iron.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    ^ Fuck Chrome, Google harvests information on you and your browsing habits. Prove me wrong!

Instead of Chrome, use SRWare Iron.

Testing it out right now. Looks decent.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited June 2011
    I still luvs FF, I will be giving it a try later tonight.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited June 2011
    FF4 is brand new and there's already a beta for 5?
  • edited June 2011
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Google-Chrome-internet-explorer-ie8-Privacy,10050.html

That's enough to put me off. The idea that basically every keystroke is logged is really not cool. I'll stick to my open source Firefox installation, using Scroogle as my search engine.

Also, this was a cool post - http://www.emulysianfields.com/forums/threads/google-chrome-steals-your-private-information.1812/
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been using 5.0 for a few weeks now and it's been great. Haven't had anything to happen that pissed me off while I was browsing.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    I have been using 5 since it came out and it works much better than 4 did for me. Plus may of the extensions which still don't work in 4 work in 5. Seems like someone knew 4 was not going to last.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    FF is better but I think thanks to my booksmarks it frequently shits itself.
  • edited July 2011
    The only problem I've had with Firefox 5 so far is just the other day, it decided to use something like 2.6GB of my RAM :facepalm: This only happened once though and wasn't a problem as I just closed and re-opened my browser again. FF5 certainly behaves itself now :)
  • mafiabromafiabro Regular
    edited July 2011
    118zon4.png

That's the shit right there.
  • BoomslangBoomslang Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Have you ever tried Opera?
  • edited July 2011
    I've tried Opera but I just didn't like it :( I used to use it when I first started speed-voting on Rotteneggs, but then I found Firefox and realized that it was 10 times as good.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2011
    Man up and Chrome, bitch

Man up and Opera, bitch.
  • edited July 2011
    Man up and Lynx, bitch.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    I use chrome and Firefox 5. I have been doing the beta sense like the day it came out. There really is no difference from FF4.0 except the knew sync feature. That is the only reason I use 5. I can sync it with my android device. As for google chrome I prefer it because I am a google follower. I use google music, plus, phones (fucking hate htc sense though takes open source away from android), gmail. Everything i do is on google. I have lost a lot of respect for firefox though. It has gotten slow and full of errors.

EDIT. Forgot to mention Opera. Great browser and is one of the fastest ones on the market right now. But I prefer firefox and chrome above it. But this is all personal opinions.
  • FingerBlasterFingerBlaster Regular
    edited July 2011
    But what is the difference between F4 and F5
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    The differences that I know of is stability although I cant see a difference, system space savings, and sync with mobile. The last part is the only reason that I even use 5.
  • SnuzzlesSnuzzles New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    The Aurora channel is really cool. Opera is really only good for mobile; Chrome is the best mass market web browser. It's the fastest. Therefore it's the best.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    Snuzzles wrote: »
    The Aurora channel is really cool. Opera is really only good for mobile; Chrome is the best mass market web browser. It's the fastest. Therefore it's the best.

true. it is the fastest but for some people it doesn't have the best adds and what not but the big thing is compatibility issues. not as many as before but some older sites or crapier sites so some people really have no use for chrome. I will agree it's faster though.
  • SnuzzlesSnuzzles New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    http://nightly.mozilla.org/

actually, the very fastest is the Nightly build, which is just dangerous and very clearly marked by Mozilla as like "for test purposes only." Auroras the fastest build of any browser i feel like i can use as a mainstay browser. Nightly and Canary are too crazy.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    I have actually never heard of it. Which is odd I thought I have messed with all browsers. I am going to be checking it out as soon as I can.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Iceweasel 5, bitches.

You can use Chromium, which is open source. It's a somewhat stripped down version of Chrome.

I keep my Iceweasel profile in a flat file dm-crypt container and sync it on Dropbox so I can access from my other computers.

FF5 still has the same stupid bug as FF4 (at least under Linux) where your autocomplete (bookmarks, passwords, etc), stops working after a while. Sometimes you just need to refresh the page, and other times you have to reload the browser.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't understand why Mozilla would have another project.

Oh and yeah Mozilla used to be amazing. Now it's mostly the name, personalization, and adds that keep it going. They try to move to fast with it and because of which it is buggy. Only reason I stay up to date is to see if they fix it and because the sync feature is perfect for my phone.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    jarkof wrote: »
    I don't understand why Mozilla would have another project.

Are you referring to Iceweasel? Iceweasel is Firefox without the branding. The "Firefox" name and logo aren't licensed openly, so if you want a TRULY free version, it is Iceweasel. Other than that they are identical.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    So it's like the pointless difference between limewire and frostwire similarity. I don't know I really don't see a difference. It seems like a pointless waste of resources, time, and server space.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    jarkof wrote: »
    So it's like the pointless difference between limewire and frostwire similarity. I don't know I really don't see a difference. It seems like a pointless waste of resources, time, and server space.

To each his own...

I (and many others) have a problem with the following: "Here is some FREE software that you can use for FREE. Enjoy! Oh and BTW, you can't do THIS, THIS, or THIS with it. We also won't let you look at the source code because we don't want you to know about all of the things it does in secret. ENJOY YOUR FREE SOFTWARE, THOUGH!"

How is that "free"???

The only non-free software I used is isolated in a virtual machine with no reference to me or access to any of my personal data.

The beauty of FOSS is that you can fork it all you want and make it do whatever you want, without any unrealistic expectations or rules. I doubt the extra 15MB needed to host a copy of Iceweasel is going to cause the world to end anytime soon...

TL/DR: Most "free" things are not really free.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2011
    im using aurora right now and dont see much of a difference between the two. its got a different logo? thats about it
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    Chupalo wrote: »
    To each his own...

I (and many others) have a problem with the following: "Here is some FREE software that you can use for FREE. Enjoy! Oh and BTW, you can't do THIS, THIS, or THIS with it. We also won't let you look at the source code because we don't want you to know about all of the things it does in secret. ENJOY YOUR FREE SOFTWARE, THOUGH!"

How is that "free"???

The only non-free software I used is isolated in a virtual machine with no reference to me or access to any of my personal data.

The beauty of FOSS is that you can fork it all you want and make it do whatever you want, without any unrealistic expectations or rules. I doubt the extra 15MB needed to host a copy of Iceweasel is going to cause the world to end anytime soon...

TL/DR: Most "free" things are not really free.

Those words are soken true. Each person finds each browser to be better suited for him/her just like some people like macs and some like pc's. Everything has many choices and there are always people that are better suited for others. My only question is the same as the quoter below. I dont even notice a difference. See with most there are many differences and that is what makes them better suited for many people. But with this there is not really much difference and so I dont know what would be the major need for it.
    im using aurora right now and dont see much of a difference between the two. its got a different logo? thats about it