Over-rated beers

PlebertPlebert Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
So, I picked up a bottle of Delerium Tremens a few weeks ago, and didn't rate it at all.In fact it tasted like Aids on a salty cracker.

Call me uncultured or whatever the fuck, but it's probably the most disappointed I've been after drinking a highly recommended beer, especially a pale ale.

shareforth experiences with this beer, and any other examples of liquid hate Over-rated beers?

Comments

• ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    PBR is overrated, but it makes me feel like a cool hipster when I drink it in public.

In all honesty, the most overrated beer in the universe is Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Highly reviewed, but tastes like the fucking bottom of an ashtray that someone shit on after eating 2 pounds of ludefisk.

Fuck that shit.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    Chupalo wrote: »
    PBR is overrated, but it makes me feel like a cool hipster when I drink it in public.

In all honesty, the most overrated beer in the universe is Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Highly reviewed, but tastes like the fucking bottom of an ashtray that someone shit on after eating 2 pounds of ludefisk.

Fuck that shit.

If by PBR you are referring to Pabst Blue Ribbon then it is not over rated. No matter how scathing a review you were to write it would no over rate a can of that turtle piss.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    Dude Delirium is awesome,

PBR is not as bad as it could be, Budweiser and bud light all taste like someone drank about a 12 pack and piss watery beer right into the can.

Most overated, Guiness, fucking nasty shit.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    an TDR how the fuck do you know what turtle piss tastes like?
    edited July 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    an TDR how the fuck do you know what turtle piss tastes like?

Have you ever smelled turtle piss? And by turtle I mean snapper.
    edited July 2011
    By the way, my pick for most over rated would be Heineken. That stuff tastes like a turtle pissed on a skunk.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    By the way, my pick for most over rated would be Heineken. That stuff tastes like a turtle pissed on a skunk.

Heineken IS skunk piss, that is exactly what it smells like. Who the fuck drinks that shit?

And no I have never smelt...smelt?...smelled... turtle piss. I'll give it a shot next time I'm around a turtle.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Most overated, Guiness, fucking nasty shit.

Dont be silly, drink it in the UK or Ireland, its the propper stuff here. However, as with everything, people have different tastes, but I would be more likely to listen to some one being negative than positive. I would always still make my own mind up however.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited July 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Dont be silly, drink it in the UK or Ireland, its the propper stuff here. However, as with everything, people have different tastes, but I would be more likely to listen to some one being negative than positive. I would always still make my own mind up however.

Draught like actually from a keg, not The draught canned version, is not so bad, so yeah maybe.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    People go apeshit over PBR here - they stand in line for $2 pints. So at least here it's overrated.

I like Guinness, but everyone says it tastes much better in Ireland. It's not that popular here.

Heineken is also popular here, and is in the top 10 worst beers ever. It tastes like enema juice. I did some computer work for this rich dude that's a board member at the company I work at, and he gave me a CASE of Heineken as a token of appreciation (I couldn't charge him because it was during work hours). I left it in an alley and assumed that some homeless guys would eventually find it and fight over it.
    edited July 2011
    People go apeshit over PBR here - they stand in line for $2 pints. So at least here it's overrated.

I like Guinness, but everyone says it tastes much better in Ireland. It's not that popular here.

Heineken is also popular here, and is in the top 10 worst beers ever. It tastes like enema juice. I did some computer work for this rich dude that's a board member at the company I work at, and he gave me a CASE of Heineken as a token of appreciation (I couldn't charge him because it was during work hours). I left it in an alley and assumed that some homeless guys would eventually find it and fight over it.

Would that be new or used enema juice? Because I can well imagine there is quite bit of difference in the taste between the two.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Would that be new or used enema juice? Because I can well imagine there is quite bit of difference in the taste between the two.

New
    edited July 2011
    New

Well, I guess it could be worse then.
  • edited July 2011
    Since I started drinking exclusively local stuff, pretty much any commercial beer tastes like shit. Once you get used to the strong 'beery' taste, you realize that this is how beer is supposed to be, a beverage with character and depth, not shitty tasting pop that gets you drunk.

As for one I was disappointed in, Fin Du Monde (End of The World), a Quebec brew that was very trendy for a while, but fuck me, the French simply cannot brew beer. At 9% it sounded like fun, and I bought a 6, I drank one, then kept the rest as 'shut the hell up' beers.

C/O
    "need a beer, need a hit? here, have a shitty beer, some salvia, and shut the hell up"
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited July 2011
    Stella, total shite but the cidre is so good.

Im more of a pale ale drinker, but trying to find a nice cheep one is hard.
    I used to drink tui, but only out the swappers and kegs, the stuff made in aulckland was shit once you had tried the real stuff.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Cant say I like beer much, mainly drink cider. However if there was a beer to change my mind, it would be the beer I drank in Austria called Gosser. Its really nice, and they give it to you in a great big flagon :D
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited July 2011
    Grolsch. It tastes like someone's pissed in a glass of Carlsberg, which tastes like piss to begin with.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Lysdexic wrote: »
    I used to drink tui, but only out the swappers and kegs, the stuff made in Auckland was shit once you had tried the real stuff.

This
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited July 2011
    With Stella and Heinken they taste good in europe nicer still not worth raving about. The thing is though they have there place mainly as something in summer cold and refreshing.

Most Trappist beers I find them not my thing mainly I find the too sweet and disappointing.
  • edited July 2011
    CARLSBERG.... Can't fuckin drink the stuff
  • edited July 2011
    CARLSBERG.... Can't fuckin drink the stuff

Apparently I have to, as I am over 40, and these are me Carsberg years. Fuck no, that shit is swill.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited July 2011
    I actually really like Carlsberg if I'm in the mood.
    For me the most overrated would have to be budweiser. That shit tastes foul
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited July 2011
    C/O, did you ever try Maudite? It's a little better than Fin, but not much. Overrated imho.
    Anything Delirium puts out is overrated. Don't get me wrong. It's decent, but not worth $6.50/8ish oz.
    Also, with the exception of Sommersault, everything New Belgium puts out. Primarily looking at you, Fat Tire.
    I honestly will drink MHL over Fat Tire, and it's by no means a matter of price.
    Same goes for Blue Moon.
  • edited July 2011
    C/O, did you ever try Maudite? It's a little better than Fin, but not much. Overrated imho.

Yeah, like you said a bit better, I don't mind a strong beery taste, but they are both way over the top. The same brewery puts out one that is quite good, I forget the name, but it is Quebecquois for 'angels bathwater'. It is cloudy, probably a wheat beer, and has an almost cidery taste.

C/O
    "rye, tequila, cider, wine, moonshine, fuck, I'm out of beer!"