can security cameras see in to cars at night?

jjrolljjroll Semo-Regulars
edited July 2011 in Man Cave
For example, if you have a security camera outside a restaurant mounted about 15 feet high and you are parked about 40 feet away would a camera be able to see in to car at night, also lighting where car is parked is very low . Would it be able to capture people inside?. Hypothetically camera is a Sony ipela.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Probably not. 40 feet away is pretty far and most cameras don't have the ability to capture things at night unless they're set up that way. Do a bit of research on that camera, see if it's got night vision. I really doubt it though - I think you're safe.
  • jjrolljjroll Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    Did some research n Sony makes two cameras under that name. one is basic cctv n other is IR, but this particular camera looks like a cctv , there are no visible leds and I doubt a restaurant would go with IR cameras. In addition I did some tests one my own at the place n I had trouble seeing the inside of cars from cameras point of view. And I think that angles and lighting play a big role, right??. Also had trouble finding clear images of the insides of cars on the net.. what does everyone else think.?? At 40 feet distance any chance it can see inside car?? Even with night vision?? If anyone has camera experience I would appreciate input...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Nope, the CCTV might be using a wide focus and I don't think it can manually zoom that far. Plus, who would use a narrow focus CCTV mounter at such height, they're just covering the area near to their property.
    edited July 2011
    Well let's assume car is on property.. In parking lot of restaurant where camera is located. And car was located near an outside dining area..
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    jjroll wrote: »
    Well let's assume car is on property.. In parking lot of restaurant where camera is located. And car was located near an outside dining area..

Yep, the common sense dictates it can, but you just need to identify the model and see if it's IR etc. Chances are you just might get lucky.
    edited July 2011
    It doesn't seem to be IR and camera is at an angle... and where car was at wasn't well lite and with naked eye and at eye level its very hard to see in to cars from where camera is located.. from my own experience w security cameras sometimes even in the day its very hard to look in to cars unless you zoom in and angles n glares always interfere with picture quality. I'm not an expert with cameras so I'm here asking . I feel that at 40 feet away from camera, low light , angles and that camera was most likely wide focus , the chances it captured footage inside car is highly unlikely.. what do you think???
  • edited July 2011
    I'd say that it's safe, although it's hard to say without seeing it for myself. At 40 feet away in the dark with no IR then I doubt the camera will be able to see clearly, if at all.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Well, it seems you're safe but the question is what do you plan to do in the car. If it's something with smoke involved, things might be different.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    WTF did you do in the car?

Dogging?

I was rolling a J in my Missus' car and realised there was a CCTV camera next to us (4ft away, 10ft up or so) covering the area. Still, nothing came of it.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    it more depends on wheather the recorder is on a vcr or a hard drive, youd be shocked how many are on vcrs and the footage is crap because it get recorded over and over on the same tape. that plus do thay have a reason to look at the camera, its a restaurant, do you honestly think they have a guy watching and zooming in on every guest? no they are busy making sure you drinks are fulling and that the food isnt burnt.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't know about regular security cameras, but I know those fucking intersection traffic cameras sure can.

I used to work as a cab driver. Another driver who worked night shift got a ticket through the automated system so it was sent to the cab stand. My boss showed it to me and at first I didn't think much about it. But then I noticed that it said 4 am instead of 4 pm. It was like broad daylight and you could see the driver's face and shirt clearly.

It was creepy how much detail you could see. I know this intersection, and it isn't very brightly lit under normal circumstances at night. But that flash on the camera must really light the place up.
  • edited July 2011
    ^ That said, if they have a reason to be suspicious then they won't hesitate to check the tapes. If you were doing something sketchy and you think you may have caused a disturbance or been spotted, then I reckon they will have checked the tapes. If not then you should be alright.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2011
    OP, if you don't want cameras or anything else seeing in your car, why don't you get your windows tinted??