DVD Rentals?

GelidGelid New Arrival
edited July 2011 in Man Cave
I don't know how DVD rental places work, I've never really used them. They're cheaper right? That's the purpose of renting. Anyways, I was wondering if I could, while say, driving through some town that I'll never go back to, stop by the rental place and rent a ton of DVDs, then never return em'. What type of info do the shops ask of you? Do they have any system to track stolen DVDs? Any (bad) ideas?

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to 2002.
  • GelidGelid New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    The way I take that, is that there aren't many rental places out there anymore. I have no idea what's out there, I live in a rural town, and I don't get out much.
    Or, is it still a possibility?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Take ID, sign up, rent DVDs, take home, rip, copy, return. Repeat.

Or just torrent them.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited July 2011
    You normally need two forms of proof of ID, and the name, address and phone number of a friend.
    They might also restrict how much you rent at once.
  • edited July 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Take ID, sign up, rent DVDs, take home, rip, copy, return. Repeat.

Or just torrent them.

Pretty much this, it's fail proof and I'm sure everyone who's ever rented a DVD has ripped a copy ;) I wouldn't rent the DVD's out and never return them as they'll have your face on camera the moment you walk into the store. Not the best idea.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    In this forum there are bad ideas an then there are stupid ideas. That being said this not a bad idea.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, what trx said. I know what you were thinking, rent them and then sell them on Play.com but you still have to hand over your details and they will catch you one way or the other.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited July 2011
    Just torrent DVDs if you want to see them. If you want to steal and resell DVDs, don't waste your time. The risk:gain ratio isn't great enough.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Paco wrote: »
    Just torrent DVDs if you want to see them. If you want to steal and resell DVDs, don't waste your time. The risk:gain ratio isn't great enough.

Fuckin' word. DVDs go for £3 MAX down the Car Boot sale. Not worth it in the slightest.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2011
    We have Blu-ray now.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited July 2011
    The have these things called "red box" now. It's this big red box that's outside of stores that you rent DVDs from. They seem pretty secure but if you could pick the lock you could get a shit ton of DVDs (and some video games now).
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    I used to get those loadable visa cards at a gas station and use them until they had like 3.50 left then hit up a redbox and rent dvds. Since it was a throwaway visa, they couldn't charge more than I had on it, I got like 15 movies that way (with different cards of course) before they caught on and stopped accepting those types of visas. I miss those days.

Bitch. I actually tried something like this the other day (tried to pay with an amex gift card), and (of course) it wouldn't take it. You also have to factor in the cost of paying the gift card activation fee (usually $5 and up, depending on the value) and also lose the amount that is left on the card. Since RedBox now only lets you rent 2 discs the first time you use a particular credit card, you'll proabably end up paying more than just renting them at $1/each and ripping at home and then returning.