Man accused of throwing snacks at flight attendant

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
OK, so this guy is an obvious asshole. But 20 years in prison for smoking an electronic cigarette in violation of corporate policy, simple assault, and not sitting down during landing is a little severe. Especially when you consider this is a country where shit like the following occurs.

"On the evening of November 6, 1963, future First Lady of the United States Laura Bush née Welch was driving with a friend on a rural highway in Midland, Texas when she ran a stop sign and broadsided another car. The driver of the other vehicle, 17-year-old Michael Dutton Douglas, a classmate and friend of Welch's, was killed. Welch, who wasn't reported to be drinking or speeding, wasn't charged and received only minor injuries."
^From
Corroborated here, here, here, and here.
SALT LAKE CITY – A Utah man has temporarily lost his flying privileges and passport after authorities say he pelted a flight attendant with peanuts and pretzels on a Southwest Airlines plane from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City.

Federal court records show Pogos Paul Sefilian of Sandy was in court Thursday on a charge of interference with a flight crew.

If convicted, he faces 20 years in federal prison.

Sefilian has not yet entered a plea. An arraignment is set for July 22.

Court papers filed in U.S. District Court say Sefilian was on a flight Monday evening when he took out an electronic cigarette and began to smoke it while the plane was in flight. He argued with a flight attendant when told it was against airline policy to use the device. Electronic cigarettes simulate the act of tobacco smoking by producing an inhaled mist.

Sefilian attempted to smoke the device a second time and was again asked to stop.

"This enraged Sefilian," the complaint says. "Later in the flight, he began to throw peanuts and pretzels at the flight attendant."

Sefilian also refused to follow the flight crew's orders when the plane began to land, standing in the aisles and opening overhead luggage compartments, court records allege. Flight attendants told an FBI agent they had to make six separate announcements to get Sefilian to stay in his seat.

Sefilian was arrested at the Salt Lake City airport.

A federal judge released him from jail Thursday but ordered him to wear a GPS tracking device.

Parker Douglas, Sefilian's federal public defender, said Friday the conditions of release are fair. He said Sefilian expected the close monitoring because he has a previous felony DUI conviction

Source

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't know why he didn't just hide that shit, or just go the bathroom and smoke. He definitely shouldn't have made such a big deal out of it. 20 years is definitely excessive though.
  • edited July 2011
    Wow, 20 years for smoking an E-cig which doesn't cause any harm to people around you? That's bullshit man. Plus, throwing peanuts at people is funny.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    The most "dangerous" thing he is accused of was when he stood up during the landing and was messing with the carry on baggage. He may have dropped a gym bag on someone.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    If people had a nut allergy then fine, but 20 years?! Fuck that. Also I heard on QI that smoking in planes = cleaner air as it was not the recycled shit. Stephen Fry is a legend. I have a horrible feeling I'll be that sort of guy on a flight in the near future.

Talking of which I might be booking my Amsterdam flight tomorrow. Eheheheheh.
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    Why couldn't the retard wait for his smoke?
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited July 2011
    The one place they don't fuck around is airports/airplanes, retard should've known he'd get the worst possible charge they could make stick.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I suppose they punish you hard in airport and whatnot...if they catch you. Making a big deal is not a wise move, but still.