Today I realized..

Gary OakGary Oak Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
Today I realized how afraid I am of death. I realize I'm quite young, but think about how little time we actually have here. I actually had to stop what I was doing for a couple minutes just to regain composure. Scary shit. I wish the bullshit religion spewed was true. I'd make everything easier to deal with. We're pretty much fucked from the start when you think about it. You and everyone you know will die. I Think most people take this shit for granted. I feel like this is a wake up call for me. I don't want to be one of those people who just has to deal with bullshit on a daily basis, just rotting my time away.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    Death is no more of a permanent state of being than being "alive" is.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2011
    It's hard for me to understand anything past life and death.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited July 2011
    this should be your motivator to achieve everything you want to in life. life is short. fuck the bullshit. skip the small things that aren't life changing (most drama.) pursue goals, and achieve them, you young fuck. ALSO, have fun.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2011
    Just look around nature. A plant grows from a seed, matures, creates new seeds, dies, and is reborn through the seed. That cycle is all through nature, from the macro to the micro. What makes you think we are any different.

You get worked up over it because you are too attached to your present form. In reality we are much like the worm. We fear the cocoon known as death because we know that all we know will be changed into something new and unknown.

If you can let go of your false attachment to your present form then death is no longer scary but instead kind of fascinating. The only reason I have any trepidation where the next step is concerned is due to my protective nature and the fact that I fear what will happen to those I care about once I move on.
  • edited July 2011
    Yup, it's fucked up. I don't want to die, I want to live for at least 90 years with no illnesses in my way but I realize that it may not happen like that :( It's sad. And yet, I sit here everyday wasting time away just because I have nothing better to do. Oh well, at least I'm technically doing something.
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

-Mark Twain

If the afterlife exists, cool. I believe it does. If I'm wrong, I won't be inconvenienced by it.
  • edited July 2011
    Christopher Hitchens: I know what's coming; I know no one beats these odds, and it's a matter of getting used to that and growing up and realizing that you're expelled from your mother's uterus as if shot from a cannon towards a barn-door studded with old nail-files and rusty hooks... It's a matter of how you use up the intervening time in an intelligent and ironic way, and try not to do anything ghastly to your fellow creatures.

Pretty much how I feel about it, so I pass it on to you
  • BonnieCobbBonnieCobb New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    I just refuse to believe that they won't have invented a way to live forever by the time my natural life span ends. Makes thinking about death feel more like an academic exercise, like thinking about how awful smallpox was.
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    just do something that makes people remember you forever.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited July 2011
    "They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more."

Read some Beckett, it should cheer you up. Or is it depress you more; I forget...
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2011
    Death is mindfucking. I was about to write paragraphs and paragraphs about it, but I mindfucked myself too much.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    My grandmother died a couple years back at age 91, and my grandfather (her husband) just turned 95 and can still walk, hold a conversation, and tell stories about his childhood (though he is pretty much blind). My grandfather drank most of his life, and my grandmother constantly screamed at him about it. No one has any idea how the two of them beat the odds...

We think it'd be amazing if we lived that long, but I actually heard my grandfather say recently (when he thought no was listening) "93 is just too long to live"... It was really sad, becuase he was basically wanting death to come. He was "done". I hope that's a peaceful feeling...

I fear death too... Most of the time, in fact. It's coming, and I can either choose to enjoy each and every moment that passes, or I can be miserable this whole life in the hopes that there is an afterlife where everyone gets a mansion and is surrounded by all of their friends and family. I guess I fall in the middle of those...
  • edited July 2011
    Death anxiety, I think that's what it's called, that creepy feeling you get in your guts when you really acknowledge that one day you will die. You can dress it up in the ribbons and bows of religion and spiritualism, and I wish I was one of those that were comforted by such things. To spend my last days utterly convinced that I would live on in some way would be nice.

Truth is, it is that last moments that scare the hell out of me. I hope what I have done by then is worthwhile enough in my own eyes, that I can let go with some kind of dignity, satisfied with what I did, and with no regrets for what I didn't. If it happened tomorrow I am afraid I would spend my last breath cursing the world for pulling the rug out from under me when I had such grand plans. I want more, more sunsets, more falling in love, more good movies, more sex, more drugs, more music, more. But that is my nature, and that nature has a hard time dealing with death.

My rational mind says it is pointless to worry about, it will happen, sooner or later, and there is nothing I can do to stop it, it is like worrying about the sunrise. Maybe it is because I am not doing all I can to put off the last day, maybe I should clean up my act, live a life of stoic virtue, balls, fuck that. I am what I am, and if enjoying life as I do makes it shorter, then so be it. I just hope I feel the same as my eyes close for the last time.
    C/O
    "dying is easy, comedy is hard"; fuck, I forget who said that
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    As Mark Twain said: "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. "

Death is just a state of being. We just don't move, that's all. I accepted death at the age of 19, being told that I'd live to 30. It drove me to change myself, and after being told that I can now avoid that, I have slumped into the same-old routine I changed prior.
    If anything, at least I had a timeframe. You don't. Go forth and fucking achieve. Get up early, go for a jog, do what you want. What makes you happy. Death isn't some fancy event, it's a natural part of life - and once you accept that, you'll be fine.
  • CaptainFalconCaptainFalcon Regular
    edited July 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    As Mark Twain said: "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ".

Quote stealing motherfucker :mad:

Seriously, though, it's coming, so why fear it? Invite it in like a guest.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

-Mark Twain

If the afterlife exists, cool. I believe it does. If I'm wrong, I won't be inconvenienced by it.

That is the easiest way to look at it for me, but yeah I only have a couple major fears and that is the fear of death which is shitty because it makes you paranoid of everything. But in my opinion once you get old and are either sick or weak death is an escape. I am not the most athletic kid but I play every sport that there is around me and it is my life. I know that when I get older I will lose my motor skills possibly slow or possibly fast. And that scares me almost as much as dying because I dont know what I am going to do when that happens. But for now I will just continue doing as much as I can so when that time comes I am ready to grow old and die. Unfortunately that gets harder and harder because doing what you want costs money and that is getting harder and harder to get.