Guides - What do you want to see?

LordWormLordWorm Regular
edited July 2011 in Man Cave
I'm going to throw together a few short guides for pyro related stuff in the coming weeks, and I'm just wondering what the community wants to see. The goal is to stay away from k3wl stuff like sparkler bombs and soda bottle pressure devices, but I don't want to get too advanced and bore most of the readers to death with things they'll be unlikely to ever attempt themselves. That's why I'm asking.

On the table right now is an OTC synthesis of ETN, perhaps a safe method for manufacturing and storing HMTD, and of course a synthesis for a safer primary like silver acetylide as well. I'm also considering a basic writeup on oxygen/fuel balloon explosives, covering stoichiometry and optimum fueling/ignition techniques. A friend of mine on the other side of the country did a lot of testing with such devices in summer 2008, and we discovered a lot of new info that isn't (To my knowledge) found anywhere else on the internet.

A guide to mixing flash powder and perhaps small scale black powder manufacture is also in order, methinks.

Lettt meeee knowww...

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Sounds great to me! I think you should add those guides which are somewhere in the middle of being advanced/boring and being easy/dumb. We definitely need some more traffic in that forum, and we need some more content all over. I admire your enthusiasm :D
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    LordWorm wrote: »
    On the table right now is an OTC synthesis of ETN, perhaps a safe method for manufacturing and storing HMTD, and of course a synthesis for a safer primary like silver acetylide as well. I'm also considering a basic writeup on oxygen/fuel balloon explosives, covering stoichiometry and optimum fueling/ignition techniques. A friend of mine on the other side of the country did a lot of testing with such devices in summer 2008, and we discovered a lot of new info that isn't (To my knowledge) found anywhere else on the internet.

BB is soon to be my favorite board. :D
  • edited March 2011
    I'm actually looking forward to this as well. Hopefully I will learn a thing or two about explosives, because I'm a complete retard when it comes to the subject. You should write a noobs guide to getting started with explosives :thumbsup:
    edited March 2011
    Detonation techniques would be useful. I know RemadE said he would write some stuff up on that but multiple viewpoints would be awesome.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    How to make cannon fuse or an eqivilent that does not involve plaiting powder into string. That is all for now.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    How about something like a field guide to expedient synthesis "energetic" compounds from common materials?
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited March 2011
    All good, useful ideas. I'll see what I can do.
  • edited April 2011
    So, when can we expect to see these guides? I haven't actually seen Lordworm in a while, actually. Is he MIA?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I think he is busy IRL, give him some time.

I would like to see some instructions on making a bomb or something explosive using tons of different fireworks.
  • edited April 2011
    I'd like to see a guide on making a bag-bomb, similar to those used in the London terrorist attacks. Those things are scary as fuck.
  • mrbrisantmrbrisant Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    Would like to see information on deflagration to detonation techniques using high heat and energy compounds properly placed in DBSP...
  • DetonatorDetonator Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    Know anything about Ammonium Nitrogen Tri-Iodide?
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2011
    Candles with different colored flames, plz.
    edited July 2011
    Detonator wrote: »
    Know anything about Ammonium Nitrogen Tri-Iodide?
    Yeah, it's not useful for anything other than observing its properties in small ammounts. Nitrogen triiodide can explode under its own weight when dry and iodine is expensive too.
  • AndersHovelandAndersHoveland Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    "know anything about Ammonium Nitrogen Tri-Iodide?"

Bromine is very easy to make from stuff you can buy at the store, but unfortunately nitrogen tribromide is virtually impossible to make.
    Unlike with nitrogen trichloride or "nitrogen triiodide", simply reacting ammonia and bromine will not make anything that is explosive.
    This may be somewhat surprising to you, since chlorine, bromine, and iodine are all in the same column on the periodic table, and bromine is in the middle!

To make iodine, simply mix potassium iodide with dilute hydrogen peroxide, with a tiny bit of acid. Elemental iodine reacts with ammonia to form a spongy purplish- crystal-like substance that explodes with a poof, making a little purple cloud of foul iodine vapor!
    The slightest little disturbance will set it off, even trying to lift the substance off the paper. Not really useful for anything, except as a novelty. More accurate to call it "ammonia-triiodine nitride" adduct, but does not really matter. Everyone knows what you mean when you say "nitrogen triiodide".

Dissolve a tiny quantity of the blackish purple-colored iodine into a little cup a quarter full of ammonia. Be sure to put a coffee filter paper in pressed against the bottom before the iodine is added.

After the two have been mixed, place it outside on a warm night (out of sunlight) to allow the ammonia to all evaporate out. With the filter paper still wet, remove it (you should see a purplish pasty substance on it). Allow it to dry for 3-4 hours. Do not be impatient.
    After it has dried, the slightest touch from a feather (or long wooden stick) should be enough to set it off.

Do not try to store it, it is likely to explode by itself, sending out an iodine vapor cloud that will stain everything around it.
    edited July 2011

Do not try to store it, it is likely to explode by itself, sending out an iodine vapor cloud that will stain everything around it.

Could you store it if you keep it damp/wet with ammonia?
  • AndersHovelandAndersHoveland Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    It will eventually dry of its own accord, but I suppose if one kept spraying dilute ammonia on it every few hours...
    do not really know the answer to that question. think eventually it would degrade over time.
    some people have kept the stuff for over a month, kept moist in sealed little cylindrical film containers.

It is not really the type of thing you would want to store. Remember, it can still explode when moist, keeping it under water does not eliminate the danger of explosion. These types of things a very unpredictable. What might seem completely useless, could later spontaneously detonate after being left in storage. That is why only very small amounts are ever made.
    Nitrogen triiodide is one of the most sensitive explosives, the only one I am aware that is more sensitive is nitrogen trichloride.
  • DetonatorDetonator Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the insight, I had come across a process for manufacturing this product in a book containing old school homemade fireworks, chemicals, and a range of explosives. In the case of this substance, it lacked the detail needed to understand it. Probably not something I will pursue any further.