Experiment: Staying up forever

DeepThoughtDeepThought Acolyte
edited July 2011 in Man Cave
There is a reason I wanted to do this

It was related to evolution

I will reiterate later

(it was mostly because I have this week off in college, to experiment with the potential of the human being in relation to chemical substances, such as the ability to have clarity and lucidity without periods of sleep )

hence my research for the evolution of the homo sapians

(why are you all so unevolved)

Comments

• DeepThoughtDeepThought Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    My theory is that the next evolution of humanity involves the reduction of sleep that the homo sapiens needs to preform every activities , hence me experimenting the minimum that the homo sapiens needs to produce intelligent and constructive activity.

However the better question is what requires the homo sapiens to reduce sleep in order to improve productivity?

The solutions are simple, reiterated in eastern philosophy , realizing the true reality of life not only concerned within Buddhist and Hindu philosophy (for those who understand both in thorough understanding)

The solutions are in the nature of God , and one must search for God.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tripp"]Peter Tripp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
  • DeepThoughtDeepThought Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    I'm only doing it for the rest of this week, to test the extremes of human tolerance in mental clarity and what not
  • edited June 2011
    Well, best of luck to you. I've heard of people doing this in the past and going insane, or dying, or just falling asleep again. Keep posting in this thread, keep us updated.
  • HughHeffnerHughHeffner New Arrival
    edited June 2011
    If you keep reading on through wikipedia, a dude goes 18days straight with out sleep with no ill effects excpet loss of short term memory, and ofcourse loss of temper lol.

Longest ive gone is 52 hrs. Im gonna try and beat it next time ive got holidays. Good luck sir.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited June 2011
    The longest I went without sleep was about 4 days. I did this with no drugs, no stimulants (Yeah, no coffee).

It was several years ago, and during this time I read through every single totse text file, back when totse was still up (Except the erotica).

I halfway swear I started seeing the shadow people out of the corner of my eyes. Didn't help that I was also reading John Dies at the End for the first time.

The only tips I can really give are to keep yourself occupied at all times, do not take stimulants (You will eventually "crash"), and do not :fap:.

Good luck sir.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    Good luck evolving. I like sleep to damn much to do the same.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    He can't evolve. Evolution is the change in the frequency of alleles in a given population.

What you described is 'genetic drift.' It is one, but not the only, component of evolution.
  • edited June 2011
    Good luck, I would advise pharmaceutical grade uppers like ritalin, and adderall, as the toxic load of constant crystal use as well as the higher tolerance curve could have some nasty effects. You should be quite impaired by day 2 or 3, and hallucinating by 4 or 5 because parts of your brain will shut down regardless of your overall state of consciousness. Are you going to collect any data with some cognitive tests, random math and logic exercises, maybe some coordination tests?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Yeah dude, remember your body uses sleep to repair your cells so might want supplements. I agree with you on the lack of sleep being an evolutionary step. Maybe it will come after the evolution to be unable to filter bullshit or purposeless adverts but we will see.

All the best, and for fucks sake keep a log. I've been intrigued in this, but only managed 3 days or so before sleeping like a coma patient for a good 16 hours.
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I was trying to say that the kid who wrote the OP cannot evolve. <--- Main point.

I don't think anyone here believes that sleep deprivation is the next step to human evolution...kid.
    edited June 2011
    LOL, who the fuck said that? I was correcting your mistake. Its painfully obvious that an individual cannot evolve.

Lets get this back on topic: OP, you will probably last a few days. Like RemadE said, sleep is a necessary part fo your body's daily cycle. Repairing torn muscle cells, helping long term memory, giving your brain the required amount of rest. But hey, let us know how long you last and what you see in your hallucinations.

I'll make sure I put :rolleyes: after my post next time, so you can get the hint of sarcasm.

So what's up op? Any luck on staying up?
  • edited June 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    You are going down a long dark very ugly very,very difficult road, son....

This.

The longest I've gone without sleep is 4 nights and into the 5th day... It's not overly enjoyable I can well assure you.
  • the creator of lifethe creator of life Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    There must be a balance between wakefulness and sleeping.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited July 2011
    I take it by the conspicuous absence of the OP that this didn't end well. I reckon he either died or got institutionalised.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2011
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    I take it by the conspicuous absence of the OP that this didn't end well. I reckon he either died or got institutionalised.

its more of deepthoughts posting/visiting habit. he comes and goes
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited July 2011
    You are going to need a lot of meth.
  • ReboundRebound Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Fuck sleep deprivation. When I do it for more than a couple days reality no longer feels real then the anxiety really comes on (I'm sure the too much caffeine and nicotine don't help with this) and it get eventually gets to the point where all I want to do is crash out but I'm almost too afraid to go to sleep. The more sleep debt, the harder it gets. It's an altered state that I would compare with alot of drugs. In now way though is it enjoyable or "evolutionary".
  • ZenfiladeZenfilade Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Why would you want to be awake forever? I'd rather spend 8+ hours tripping on whatever the fuck I'm tripping on when I dream. Free drugs, amirite? :)
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited July 2011
    Zenfilade wrote: »
    Why would you want to be awake forever? I'd rather spend 8+ hours tripping on whatever the fuck I'm tripping on when I dream. Free drugs, amirite? :)

Yeah I know, the illusion is incredible! It's almost like you're not full of shit!