gonna buy a strip loin steak tomorrow

WANWAN Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
should i dry rub it or marinate? and what ingredients? thanks

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I prefer to season good cuts of meat after they are cooked, and a good striploin is a good cut. Here is my "steak spice" recipe, I use a spice grinder, but a coffee grinder will do just as well.

Take;
    2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dry rosemary
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    1/4 teaspoon caraway seed

Give this a whizz in the coffee grinder till it's pretty fine and sprinkle it on the steaks after they are done.

There are a couple of reasons why I leave the steak alone till after it is cooked. Firstly, some marinades and dry rubs contain salt, this will pull the moisture from the meat as it sits, and the cooked product will be flavorful, but dry. Secondly, seasoning of any sort should accent the meat, not take over the show, too much salt, sugar, or spice, will hide the meaty goodness you paid money for. A nice little bit of seasoning in the final moments on the heat will accent the flavor, but not dominate it. If I am cooking only for myself, I like my steak bloody rare, with a little cracked pepper, and some roasted garlic mashed with coarse salt and olive oil on the side.

Remember to let your steaks warm up a bit before you cook them, and remember to let them rest for a couple of minutes before serving them after they are cooked. Both of these will help keep moisture in the steak where it belongs.

If you have a bad steak and you still want to grill it instead of sending it to the stew pot where it belongs, I recommend a commercial tenderizer containing the active ingredient papain, papain is derived from papays and is an enzyme that breaks down meat proteins. You will want to marinade them for at least 12 hours for it to have an effect, add some worchestershire sauce and some spices if you want. It won't turn flank steak into filet, but it is a dirty trick that will go largely unnoticed, and I am not above using it in a commercial setting if I have to. It helps turn tough connective tissue into gelatin much like it would if you cooked it for a long time in a stew or braised dish.

C/O
    "no, I do not, wellllll, yes I do"
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited July 2011
    ^nailed it. I use a lot of curry in my grill rub. Cayenne too.