I pity the person who gets a million dollars and isn't a millionaire.

LethargicaLethargica Regular
edited July 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Any friend can tell you what you want to hear..but I care enough to tell you how it is..

You can't give just any person a million dollars..

You just can't; it will not solve anyones problems. People are broke for a reason; Their habits got them to become broke. If you give someone a million dollars, they will just continue with their habits and possibly become even more broke.

It's equivalent to giving cats milk! You just don't do it. Even though cats REALLY like it, you can't give it to them because they will just cough up hair balls!
William "Bud" Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988 but now lives on his Social Security ($450 a month) and food stamps.

"I wish it never happened. It was totally a nightmare."
Suzanne Mullins won $4.2 million in the Virginia lottery in 1993. Now she's deeply in debt to a company that lent her money using the winnings as collateral.

"My understanding is she has no assets," says lawyer who sued her.
Willie Hurt of Lansing, Mich., won $3.1 million in 1989. Two years later he was broke and charged with murder. His lawyer says Hurt spent his fortune on a divorce and crack cocaine.
One Southeastern family won $4.2 million in the early '90s. They bought a huge house and succumbed to repeated family requests for help in paying off debts.

The house, cars and relatives ate the whole pot. Eleven years later, the couple is divorcing, the house is sold, and they have to split what is left of the lottery proceeds.

"It was not the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow," says their financial advisor.

Understand that if you truly want a million dollars, you need to grow as a person because who you are has gotten you to your present status..When you change and move in the right direction, the money will come.

Comments

• ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    My wife and I are friends with the son and daughter of a pretty famous US singer (can't give the name). They both have million+ trust funds that they can't touch till they turn 40 (just a couple years away). Their father said he wanted them to experience life on their own before they were just given a bunch of money. It worked.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited July 2011
    The sad thing I've noticed is most people are accosted less if their money comes from chance (lottery) than hard work.
    There's a presumption in many that anyone who didn't win their millions fucked everyone over for all the money they have.
    Sure, some have. Some haven't.
    The idea that a healthy bank account requires a healthy mind makes perfect sense to me, though.
    You can't hope to survive if you blow your money on... well, blow and other worthless shit.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited July 2011
    Is it really that hard to put a million in a savings account and live off the $50,000+ interest you'd be getting a year?
  • edited July 2011
    I'd love to win a million, but I don't think I'd go blowing it on everything. I hate seeing money disappear, and as soon as I bought a single thing I'd look at the balance in my bank and it would seem so small, even if it is pretty huge. One thing I can't understand people buying straight away is a new house - one which is massive and unnecessary in every single way. Why not live in a perfectly fine, cheaper house (like the one you already live in) and save that million for a little while. Get an accountant to help you out and tell you how to spend/not spend.

Reminds me of the dude in the UK who won the lottery and blew all the money on drugs, hookers and that retarded race track in his back yard. What a faggot.
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited July 2011
    Car 20,000
    Computer 10,000
    Small concrete bunker type house with gym in basement 300,000
    Personal trainer for Hollywood actors 50,000 for one year
    Cellphones, televisions, electronics 20,000
    Food, liqour, cigarettes, cable and internet with top plans, and other bills 70,000
    Online college accelerated program 30,000

That's one year of my life set away where all i do is workout, learn, eat, sleep, and enjoy technology. Then I have half a million to start a gourmet popcorn shop or open a bar.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Is it really that hard to put a million in a savings account and live off the $50,000+ interest you'd be getting a year?

Yeah I agree with that one. I always thought that if I won the lottery my first priority would be living costs from the interest. Then I would just spend all the money that is left over (which would be a hell of a kit). I know that because my dad has alot of savings, and he and my mum just live of the interest just like my grandfather did. I hope one day to do the same :)
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2011
    I always wondered how they managed to fuck up so badly. My list of shit would be just about the same as Echidna's.

Buy some property, build concrete bunker (Powered by solar or hydroelectric if possible), get computers in that shit. Put the rest in the bank and get interest.

Spend interest on forming a company that advances upon 3d-printer technology/sells 3d printer kits (Such as the RepRap).

Although, that is of course ignoring taxes and the like...still. Use that million to form a successful company. It isn't that hard; people are stupid. Make whatever product you have shiny and sell for 300 payments of $19.95 on television infomercials and you're a winrar.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited July 2011
    these stupid bitches that are broke is pretty standard. these people have not earned this money and look at it as something they would have never had in the first place, a disposable asset. that is the biggest mistake. a million dollars is nothing these days.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    these stupid bitches that are broke is pretty standard. these people have not earned this money and look at it as something they would have never had in the first place, a disposable asset. that is the biggest mistake. a million dollars is nothing these days.

Thats a fact. People who accumulate profit understand that each purchase eats into your ability to generate income. In business, this aquasition may pay its self back and more, and sometimes give profit. If you are gifted a large sum of money in some way, such as a large lottery win - if you were a fuckwit before you had the money you will still be a fuckwit with money. It is drain away faster than water.

If you keep the money in a bank account so it feels safe, you will be losing money. Money in banks at moment gains lower interest than the interest rate in the general economy, or there or there abouts. This is why people who are millionairres in property, land or business assets hold onto them rather than cashing in, putting all of the money in the bank and living it up.

TRX - hats off to Mikey 'The Pikey' Carroll. U Jelly?
      £5million family and friends
      £1million gambling
      £1million Rangers Football Club
      £800,000 televisions, sound systems and gadgets
      £400,000 cars
      £325,000 house
      £300,000 parties
      £230,000 crack cocaine
      £200,000 jewellery
      £200,000 swimming pool
      £100,000 prostitutes
      £60,000 holidays
      £55,000 legal fees

I think most of his hookers were street walker types, so thats £50 a pop. You telling me you wouldnt like to run a bar bill up like that fucker?
  • edited July 2011
    Chupalo wrote: »
    My wife and I are friends with the son and daughter of a pretty famous US singer (can't give the name). They both have million+ trust funds that they can't touch till they turn 40 (just a couple years away). Their father said he wanted them to experience life on their own before they were just given a bunch of money. It worked.

I'd disown my parents if they did that to me. Gief money nau or GTFO.