Collecting Beermats (and other things)

After going out last night with a few friends, I picked up a beermat and had a think. I thought about the hundreds of different designs there must be, the millions of beermats which must have been made over the years. I thought that it would be an interesting idea to pick a few up and take them home. There were 3 different ones which I could find, so I took them home and I've got them on my desk right now.

Anyone else collect things, and how did it start out?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I have started collecting rocks, minerals and crystals lately. Mostly because I have found a couple of places where they are quite cheap, $20-$30 at the hippie shop I found goes surprisingly far, and I now have a neat little collection surrounded by colored lights, the big one in the center was only $6.
    img0882gc.jpg

I am liking this, both the hunt, and the display, I can see it getting rather large, and having little paper tags describing each one. I hope to go on some fossil hunting trips this summer at some fossil beds I already know about.

For my nephews first birthday I got him a little box, a nice amethyst crystal and a piece of petrified wood. Now all I have to do for each birthday and christmas is buy him a new rock. By the time he knows what it is he should have a good collection started.

C/O
    "huh huh, heh heh, petrified wood"
  • edited February 2011
    That's pretty cool man. I got a little interested in that when I was much younger, but since I was a kid I got bored of it pretty quickly after only getting a few stones :(
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a carrier bag full of beer mats after um.. After a friend visited an old brewery's warehouse after hours and collected a few items uhum..
    Not a collection just a weird bit of info..
  • edited July 2011
    I don't go to the pub often, but whenever I do, I make sure to pick up a beermat. Over the course of the last couple months I have picked up some more beermats, check it out :D

rl.jpg

I should probably start going more and score some more mats. Pretty random idea for a collection, but it's fun I guess. Plus I get to have a beermat sitting on my desk at home instead of using a coaster.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    When I was a kid, I collected soft drink cans - I remember at the time their were lots of different designs and they changed often. I thought I should keep a little bit of history, but after a while I began to wonder why I had a load of empty pop cans in my room. I then moved onto rocks I think after finding some unusual ones on the beach. I think I started collecting beer mats when I started drinking in the pub when I was 13. I would also look around bars that had shut down for beermats and items of nostalgia. I also worked in bars from being 16 and had access to loads of them. They all got stuffed in a bag and stored some where at my parents when I left home. Years later when I was going through some of my old stuff I found them and threw them away.

I do have some fucking top lego tho, I get one or two models a year, but I would not say I am a collecter, I just like building it.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited July 2011
    I used to collect coke bottles, but now its mostly books.
    My old man had hundreds of beermats from when he and my mum went round on their hunnymoon.

If you guys want (and trust me) next time im at a pub I can grab some to send to you. Not that I hit the pubs often.