How to unlock a phone for free?

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
Hi,

Over the years I've acquired/found a bunch of phones that have been locked to a specific carrier.

This is commonly known as a combination of simlock and network lock.

Does anyone know if there is a way to unlock these phones for free?

googling has revealed a bunch of scammy sites and incomplete or obviously wrong instructions.

I'm focused on one phone: The Nokia 6760

thanks.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    I think you need a master unlock code which is kinda of attached to your IMEI. There are websites that can let you calculate the master code etc.
  • edited July 2011
    If nothing comes up on Google right away, you often will need to call up your provider and get an unlock code. Kinda sucks, but there might be another way. I remember owning a phone which allowed you to just type in a few buttons and the whole thing was unlocked for you. Very awesome.
  • Mutant Funk DrinkMutant Funk Drink New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    There used to be a program called WorldUnlock Codes Calculator that I used a few times to unlock my LG phone when I emigrated to New Zealand(so my AT&T phone would work with Vodaphone), and when I wanted to unlock a GoPhone to use a Tmobile SIM card. It's old as hell though and I don't know if it's updated or not, but it's worth a look at.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Telephony-SMS-GSM/WorldUnlock-Codes-Calculator.shtml
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    I used to be heavily into cell phones. I specialized in Sony Ericsson, but also worked on Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, etc, etc, etc.

I would buy used or broken phones, fix/unlock them, put on a new housing, flash them to latest firmware, and resell for 3x-5x the purchase price (fixed a lot of broken screen phones).

I had several professional cell phone hardware/software solutions, including Smart Clip (Motorola phones), UFS/Tornado (many other brands), and Fighter/Cruiser (Sony Ericsson). They all ran about $200-$300 each. I spent about a year messing with it as a side business and probably made about $15k-$20k, most of which went to more phones and alcohol.

I remember getting my first Sony Ericsson P900 phone. It was THE FUCKING SHIT in its time. I think I spent $1200 on it, and I was probably one of 50 people in the US to even have one. People here had never seen anything like it before.

Those were the days...

Anyhow, @OP

Most older phones need to be plugged into some type of hardware system in order to unlock them. Most shady cell phone shops will unlock a phone for like $5. You can try generating an unlock code for Nokia on your own, but I've had poor success with this (the phone disables unlocking after 5 failed attempts).