Changing the Fingerprint of Backtrack OS

edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
I'm not sure if "fingerprint" is the best word for it, but is it possible to make Backtrack look like a Windows machine, for example? I believe that RemadE is having some trouble using Backtrack on a particular network due to them banning all Backtrack machines from the network. I dunno why I'm posting this thread for him, but yeah - any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Maybe he was referring to the browser fingerprint? At what point would the OS be blocked, and how? DHCP maybe?
  • edited July 2011
    I'm not talking about the browser fingerprint, no. To be honest, I don't know what exactly I'm talking about as RemadE has the problem, not me. If he can get in here and describe it a little better then that would be good.

The only way I know of determining an OS of a machine on the network is to scan it with Nmap using the -O flag, but I doubt this is what the University admins do. Maybe they use the TCP fingerprint? I don't know how they work but it might be something.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited July 2011
    Probably some sort network access control device/solution in place. It's either agent based and runs in the background on the Windows machines to "authenticate" themselves to the network, or it is agentless and uses any number of verification mechanisms (port scan or other fingerprints).

What MIGHT work is if you "borrow" the network jack for a non-PC device, like a printer, copier, iToaster, etc. If they are lazy they might have allowed those ports full access. If they are not lazy they will have locked that port down to a particular MAC address (kind of easy to bypass) or MAC + port scan (9100, etc), or (worst case scenario) something even more secure.
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Hey, I was just reading about changing the OS fingerprint. Here's a link.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4750
  • edited July 2011
    ^ Thanks for the link man, that was very helpful! Hopefully RemadE sees this and learns something from that article.
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    You are very welcome.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Here I am ;) cheers a bunch :thumbsup: