DIY Tube Amplifier

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited August 2011 in Life
So the tube amp kit I ordered arrived today. If you are interested in vacuum tube electronics and want something easy to build that sounds good then this kit is for you. It is a 16 watt push pull class A amp using the 5670 triode and 6005 pentode.

Pics

SAM_0589.jpg

SAM_0591.jpg

SAM_0594.jpg

The 5670's are the small tubes on the left while the 6005's are on the right

SAM_0601.jpg

SAM_0612.jpg

SAM_0561.jpg

The tubes glowing in the dark, the blue glow being caused by stray electrons hitting the glass.

You can get these kits from Tube Depot for around $240 US

Eventually I will build a chassis for it but that is a different project

Comments

• SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Excuse my ignorance, but is this a Guitar Amplifier? or just a Stereo Amplifier?
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Seitzy wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but is this a Guitar Amplifier? or just a Stereo Amplifier?

Stereo amp. I don't play guitar.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Stereo amp. I don't play guitar.

awh too bad. I have a very good Kenwood Solid State amplifier already. I may try this one day though.
    edited August 2011
    The place I got it from sells tube guitar amp kits which are meant to be good.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited August 2011
    That's pretty fucking sweet, man.
    I'll definitely have to pick one of the guitar amp kits up.
    I take it the pcb boards are printed, so you don't have to do manual connections?
    Nothing's worse than having to do a cheeseboard circuit...
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited August 2011
    Fuck, jesus!

I have a pair of 6AQ5's among others laying around (Basically shrunked 6V6's) that I've been wanting to do a single-ended with for a while.

How's the sound on that jig?
    edited August 2011
    Pretty good. Puts my cheap homebuilt solid state stereo system to shame in terms of sound quality. The kit needs a ground connection though which isn't included in the original design, it hums like a motherfucker if it isn't grounded properly. it disappears once its grounded
    edited August 2011
    That's pretty fucking sweet, man.
    I'll definitely have to pick one of the guitar amp kits up.
    I take it the pcb boards are printed, so you don't have to do manual connections?
    Nothing's worse than having to do a cheeseboard circuit...

Yeah the PCB's are ready to go, just solder the components to it and its good to go. 30 minute job at the most.